drums with head bigger than diameter...

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
"clear" How do they sound? "clear" Unfettered. Quintessential. Opaque. Holographic.

But they couldn't sell a f-cking one of them. :D

Drumstickdude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It was mentioned as a feature in Premier Signia drums (not Genista) but Signia--in the Introductory catalog of the "pre-internet" time

the Rebound Four Or Rebound Three (can't remember which) catalog/brochure
zip both -> here

You can see a Premier Signia from a Facebook group pic here:

probably the most underrated /future classic's at the moment
Signia's. even Bob Gatzen liked them ; )
The genisters were definately undersized also, and I'm pretty sure it's mentioned in the old catalogue. I got myself a 90s kit in great condition last year, best kit I've had.

Drumstickdude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It definately helps the sound, I know when my old radio king snare would have tight fitting heads on and then when the remo Classic fit ( oversized heads) came out, I put them on and the drum opened up a lot more, sounding less choked, slightly more sustain, better tone, easier tuning, and just better overall sound, I don't know why it's not standard procedure.

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
lower? higer? more sustain?
The pitch will be the same at the same tuning since the shell size will be the same between the two same size drums. I did something similar with some old Gretsch timbales when I was young and stupid. I ovaled the insert holes of some large Ludwig lugs so they could angle away from the shell and bent some Ludwig bass drum claws so I could use the claws to clamp onto the bottom hoops of my Ludwig toms. I couldn't tell you what difference they had because they were tensioned so high because they were timbales.

You will end up with the head seating better because the part that the edge sits on the head is flat and will stretch over the bearing edge. Standard sized shells seat more along the sides of the curve of the head. Probably more sustain would be my guess.

ARGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
More sustain and a clearer pitch, which I'm not sure you need or want in a non-pitched drum. It's the extended collar on timpani concept applied to drum set. It's definitely the way to go on timpani, which typically use a head one inch bigger than the bowl (although some builders use two inches). A solution in search of a problem, or could be Pearl's answer to RIMS mounts, which came out around 1980.

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
More sustain and a clearer pitch, which I'm not sure you need or want in a non-pitched drum. It's the extended collar on timpani concept applied to drum set. It's definitely the way to go on timpani, which typically use a head one inch bigger than the bowl (although some builders use two inches). A solution in search of a problem, or could be Pearl's answer to RIMS mounts, which came out around 1980.
I think Timpani use a larger head because it is a drum that you change the pitch of often so it needs the extra amount of head to make that feasible.

ARGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I think Timpani use a larger head because it is a drum that you change the pitch of often so it needs the extra amount of head to make that feasible.
The extended collar on timpani - where the head is at least two inches bigger than the bowl - is a fairly recent development - 60's or 70's? Up until that time, timpani heads fit a lot like snare and tom heads, and there were no problems changing pitches.

boonky

Reaction score
"You throw the ball to first base."
"Then who gets it?"
"Naturally."

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Looks like Tama did that, too

1587623101609.png

...and, oh lookee here! AN EXPLANATION OF WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE....

An early TAMA original the Gong Bass Drum uses a 22" head mounted Tympani style on a 20" shell with no bottom head. This design produces a thunderous low-end sound with excellent sustain characteristic of the large Taiko drums of ancient Japan. The Gong Bass uses a 8mm thick Starclassic Bubinga shell and is fitted with chrome hardware.

So, there you go. Thunderous low end and excellent sustain. What more would anyone else need.

Latest posts