Drums YOU can Identify purely by sound???

jskdrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Curious if anyone here can hear drums played live or on recording & know what drums are being played (by someone else) purely by the sound. Meaning you can identify Rogers vs DW, Leedy, Camco, Ludwig, Premier, etc...enter new HOT boutique drum here (Zelkova)

carl1969

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
There are so many variables at stake it’s hard. Now if everything was equal , same heads, same tension, same drum size and hoops , then maybe, on a good dry day.

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Curious if anyone here can hear drums played live or on recording & know what drums are being played (by someone else) purely by the sound. Meaning you can identify Rogers vs DW, Leedy, Camco, Ludwig, Premier, etc...enter new HOT boutique drum here (Zelkova)
Just to clarify ... to strictly hear a recording and know ? Rock, jazz,metal, country... whatever. That’s really really unlikely.

You might recognize a drummer’s feel or style, and then his sound. Gadd comes to mind. Maybe somehow easier with bands cause of the endorser affiliation. ( Bonham with Ludwig, or Ray Luzier with Pearl). That’s not what we’re talking about tho.

But a blind recording of an acoustic kit and guess the brand ? Oh hell
naw :)

Last edited:

frankmott

Humble (drum) shop-keeper
Reaction score
No way. Sometimes I've guessed and been right, but I know it's dumb luck. Yamaha Recording Customs with Pinstripes (or Gadd's Hydraulics) come to mine, as do vintage Ludwigs with coated Ambassadors. Two very distinctive sounds; but they could easily be replicated with something wildly different by the twist of a knob, mic choice, mic placement, or even room acoustics.

I'll agree with the previous poster and say I'm more likely to recognize the drummer than the drums.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
On small group jazz recordings mostly acoustic instrumentation mostly older recordings Yes.
Gene Krupa's Radio King
dozens of drummer's Gretsch ..Max Art Tony Elvin

Has to be quieter settings.
"Cher" recordings? "Whitesnake" settings? not so much..
But in quieter 'conversational' settings mostly from days long ago, on classic mostly acoustic instrumentation, recordings absolutely

Last edited:

ThomFloor

Reaction score
Likely to be a pile-on to whomever says "yes" they can.

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
On small group jazz recordings mostly acoustic instrumentation mostly older recordings Yes.
Gene Krupa's Radio Kings
dozen of drummer's Gretsch ..Max Art Tony Elvin

Has to be quieter settings.
"Cher" recordings? "Whitesnake" settings? not so much..
But in quieter 'conversational' settings mostly from days long ago, absolutely
I "might" be able to get with this, with the dry tight sound of Gretsch. But Elvin on Tama vs Yamaha ? What if you didn't know Krupa played Radio Kings ? Not so sure..

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
If you didn't know "Krupa used a Radio King" you'd still hear a distinctive sound. Later you'd be able to match it up.
If you didn't ever know a Radio King snare existed -ever- you would never know.
But we drummers we look into these things and then relate back; reverse engineer in a way. right. right.
If we were piano players and not interested in drums wouldn't have the ear interested in such things.

How about cymbals? Same thing. Sometimes can hear brand. Until it get's too complex a recording etc. Types can be heard, China, flat ride etc. Sizzle..
it's not a total shot in the dark.
depending on familiarity with the specific instruments sound

If you don't know what U.S. Gretsch drums sound like you are not going to hear them in old mostly acoustic jazz recordings. If you do you do.
You relate some reverse engineering.

https://www.google.com/search?q=tony+williams+echo&oq=tony+williams+echo&aqs=chrome..69i57j0.7446j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

the best one is Elvin Jones drum solo on the Love Supreme
but I can't find that isolated. It "sounds like your" Gretsch drums.
Hits the rims (not on purpose) just like anyone would ; /
there's (depends on what music you study and practice) examples of that thru out the old recordings

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'm sure some guys here could tell Acro, Supra snare drums..brass black beautys..
depends what interested in
Some can hear a brass vs wood snare being used.
Some can hear 13" hi hat vs 14"..
Others can hear 20" vs 22' vs 24" cymbals. 16" cymbals.
and then the gong -everyone- even a layman- can hear 'the gong'......
Some can hear the tympani.

Many can hear (brand unknown) the tabla in " Bell Bottom Blues"...

Last edited:

DolFan54

Gum Flapping Idiot
Reaction score
Nope! A buddy of mine fell in love with Yamaha Recording Customs back in the mid-80’s. I think I damaged him when he was going on and on how Yamaha drums sounds the best and gave me Tony Thompson on Madonna’s Like A Virgin as an example . I told him yes he endorsed Yamaha at the time
But according to an interview with Tony, he didn’t use Yamaha on that album. I couldn’t remember exactly but I think he used Ludwig or it was Gretsch. I also had to explain to him that on that particular recording they tented the bass drum by running a tube from the bottom floor all the way up the stairs and into another room. I’m pretty sure that’s not the actual sound a bass drum has in a typical setup at home or at a gig

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If you didn't know "Krupa used a Radio King" you'd still hear a distinctive sound. Later you'd be able to match it up.
If you didn't ever know a Radio King snare existed -ever- you would never know.
But we drummers we look into these things and then relate back; reverse engineer in a way. right. right.
If we were piano players and not interested in drums wouldn't have the ear interested in such things.

How about cymbals? Same thing. Sometimes can hear brand. Until it get's too complex a recording etc. Types can be heard, China, flat ride etc. Sizzle..
it's not a total shot in the dark.
depending on familiarity with the specific instruments sound

If you don't know what U.S. Gretsch drums sound like you are not going to hear them in old mostly acoustic jazz recordings. If you do you do.
You relate some reverse engineering.

https://www.google.com/search?q=tony+williams+echo&oq=tony+williams+echo&aqs=chrome..69i57j0.7446j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

the best one is Elvin Jones drum solo on the Love Supreme
but I can't find that isolated. It "sounds like your" Gretsch drums.
Hits the rims (not on purpose) just like anyone would ; /
there's (depends on what music you study and practice) examples of that thru out the old recordings
Fair

GeneZ

DFO Master
Reaction score
Those days are over to a large extent. I blame it on pre damped heads to a large extent dulling the sound...

At one time you could hear that certain something special between brands. Not today so much, because I believe recording techniques are also to blame, by artificially altering what is being played.

Its become a generic world of sound in one sense. Drums sound good. But, distinctions are no longer the same.

Toast Tee

Reaction score
I was going to go there, but I get where it was going.
No I can't ID on recordings at all (I can ID Bonham bass drum, as I've never heard anything like it)
I think I'm pretty accurate identifying Paiste cymbals

Latest posts