Drums YOU can Identify purely by sound???

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
You are not identifying "drums" at that point. You are identifying the drum combination with the head choice and the chosen tension. That is three or more separate exercises.

I can skin my Luddies with an unusual head choice and tension the heck out of them ... you would be very hard pressed to identify them as Ludwig drums ... even if you were staring at me playing them.

That is the point.
There has to be a standard established in order to evaluate "sound" for the listener.

Go back to the question ... "Drums YOU can Identify purely by sound???"

With no standard, there can never be a true test for "sound".
Here is the orginal post: "Curious if anyone here can hear drums played live or on recording & know what drums are being played (by someone else) purely by the sound. Meaning you can identify Rogers vs DW, Leedy, Camco, Ludwig, Premier, etc...enter new HOT boutique drum here (Zelkova)"

Note: "hear drums live or on recording"

My interpretation was a PERFORMANCE "live or on recording".

Not in a studio with all matching tune-botted heads and microphones.

More akin to listen to AC\DC's "TNT" and identify the drum maker.

Or, in a simpler way, grab a 12" tom off your kit and record yourself hitting five times and ask us to id the maker.

Not a laboratory controlled experiment removing every variable except the drum's badge....lol.

Just different perspectives man....

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
... oh .... .... .... nevermind.

hahahahahaha

I totally misread that.
aaaaaaaaaaand back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I thought this was an interesting comparison of two maple kits tuned exactly alike with the same heads etc. Confession-after listening two times through with headphones on last night....no way I could tell the difference in any truly meaningful way. I just heard two GREAT sounding kits.

Toast Tee

Reaction score
Good example. If anyone could differentiate the brand of the 2 kits....
No way. That should be check mate right there

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’ve read where Top professional violinists where unable to pick out a modern violin compared to a Stradivarius by ear.
You are most likely referring to this story. Quite interesting study:

trommel

Reaction score
Bass drum, snare drum, toms, bongos, congas, timbales.....

Ptrick

Reaction score
You are most likely referring to this story. Quite interesting study:

That’s the study, thanks!

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
I thought this was an interesting comparison of two maple kits tuned exactly alike with the same heads etc. Confession-after listening two times through with headphones on last night....no way I could tell the difference in any truly meaningful way. I just heard two GREAT sounding kits.

Gretsch renown? lol..that's a price point not what was once (or is) typical Gretsch.
No wonder; I'm not certain there's much if any shell difference in the two- you picked there.

(add both tuned as soft as pillows) and you have a winning combination!
only difference in those two are the hoops. (which I think I can hear..; )

As much as a Geo Metro is a Chevy (is a Suzuki) those are Gretsch in name badge only..

Last edited:

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Gretsch renown? lol..that's a price point not what was once (or is) typical Gretsch.
No wonder; I'm not certain there's much if any shell difference in the two- you picked there.

(add both tuned as soft as pillows) and you have a winning combination!
only difference in those two are the hoops. (which I think I can hear..; )

As much as a Geo Metro is a Chevy (is a Suzuki) those are Gretsch in name badge only..
Hmmm....not sure I understand the point? (Not the first and won't be the last though lol).

Not sure why price point has anyhing to do with it as we were discussing "can you ID a particular brand by how it sounds" and that was the only parameter as far as I can tell.

Not being a "Gretsch guy" all I know is one kit is Ludwg maple and one kit is Gretsch maple.

And to my, admittedly very unsophisticated ear, not enough difference in that clip, (which I have nothing to do with btw), to tell which is which.

Replace either kit with another brand's maple shelled, similarly headed and tuned and the result would more than likely be similar I would think.

But there are people with perfect pitch so I am sure there are drummers who would be able to tell who made which one.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
Gretsch Renown aren't "Gretsch Drums". Yes Yes I know- they are- in name...in license..in fees..in legal terms..in advertising...
Do you understand the Geo Metro being badged as a Chevy? Same thing.
They're an import brought in by a maker to fill a price point they don't (won't or can't profitably) make themselves ; to broaden their sales base (understanding now?

Gretsch and it's "sound" are Broadkasters and USA Custom.
Brooklyns are a new sound offering from them.

The Catalina (all 18 variations) Renowns (all 3 or 4 variation) The New Classic (already dead)
aren't "Gretsch sound" Gretsch in the "Gretsch" sense. Yes Yes Yes the name says Gretsch on them.
I may not be able to get this thru to you.

Do you remember the Mazda pickup B2000 being badged a Ford Courier? aw nevermind
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You don't understand the point? The point is those aren't true Gretsch drums.
Yes yes yes they are Gretsch ....mostly (almost entirely) in name only. And the build just happens to be very close - (where traditional Gretsch are not and never were) to those particular Ludwig's build.

Last edited:

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
"I may not be able to get through to you."

Hmmmm....that kinda stung a little bit J. Not sure what brought that on?

Surely a true Chevy guy can still ID a Metro, no?

Lol....

And what does this say about Ludwig which are assuredly NOT a "Metro"? Seeing they are USA made and apparently run about thousand more than the NOT-Gretsch Renowns?

If a NOT REALLY Gretsch renown kit can match the Ludwigs for a thousand less....

I would think that just muddies the water even further.

And you thought you couldn't "get through to me"!

;)

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'll tell ya what it says about ludwig. Notice they brought back their 3 ply with rings in Maple and in Mahogany. They brought two eras from their past back. That's Fair. ; after years of selling ( I know they still do) the straight no-ring shell.

What you are not understanding from me is Gretsch Renown are not the traditionally known ( err renown..) - in no ways whatsoever- Gretsch sound.
nor are the Catalina' ---maples, ash, birch, club, rock, cinnamon,--striped, vermilion, gluten, gluten-free, subway, or whatever other flavor they were dished out in...
Are we there yet??

Last edited:

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'll tell ya what it says about ludwig. Notice they brought back their 3 ply with rings in Maple and in Mahogany. They brought two eras from their past back. That's Fair. ; after years of selling ( I know they still do) the straight no-ring shell.

What you are not understanding from me is Gretsch Renown are not the traditionally known ( err renown..) - in no ways whatsoever- Gretsch sound.
nor are the Catalina' ---maples, ash, birch, club, rock, cinnamon,--striped, vermilion, gluten, gluten-free, subway, or whatever other flavor they were dished out in...
Are we there yet??
JDA, I assure you, the *only* thing I am not getting is why you seem so stressed out and angry at *me* in your replies? I mean, seriously.... Even after I confess to Gretsch ignorance, make some corrections in my replies, confessed to my sin of "assuming" that the Renowns are "Gretsch", even toss in (attempt to at least) a little humor, you are still coming across like I just ran over your dog-or in this case your vintage Gretsch kit. That is what I am not getting.

I will try one more time-JDA, please forgive me for being so stupid and thick headed that I did not understand that a "Gretsch Renown" kit is not a true Gretsch drum kit. Thank you for you patient and gentle correction and guidance into the light of understanding...

Meanwhile, back on topic-so I would guess that you cannot identify by ear a Gretsch stencil kit from Asia?

(I fear I am betting dangerously close to retaking the "Drama Queen" title back again...lol)

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
Because you used an import Gretsch as representative of (traditional, an old and proud name) Gretsch
Meanwhile, back on topic-so I would guess that you cannot identify by ear a Gretsch stencil kit from Asia?
Probably not because I haven't any interest in stencil kits (or copy kts) (or smooshed together globalized kits) from anyone.

You may be really good at telling a hi end Mapex, Pearl, and Tama kit from one another. I come from a different day and time. When those names/brands/ barely if at all, even existed. (I have since bought two Tama kits brand new btw)

reread post #37.
I come from a different time. When there were no pearl-yama-tama-mapex had no identity and were copies.
of Slingerland, Rogers, Ludwig, Premier, Sonor and Gretsch.

Last edited:

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Because you used an import Gretsch as representative of (traditional) Gretsch

1) Compared to what.
2) No because I haven't any interest in stencil kits (or copy kts) (or smooshed together globalized kits) from anyone.

reread post #37.
I come from a different time. When there were no pearlyamatamamapex identity's..at all.
Thank you for your reply JDA.

I had NO intention of using that video of a representation of Gretsch-good or bad. Honestly, when I posted it Gretsch was not on my mind at all.

I found the video interesting only in that it showed just how close drum sets from different makers could sound. I then related that to the question: Can YOU tell what drums are used in a live or recorded situation.

It had nothing to do specifically with Gretsch either fake or real Gretsch.

Anyway.have a great night, and I wish you sll the best.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
Well I appreciate that. Wasn't representative of a true Gretsch I want you to understand technically
different makers
Gretsch employees don't make that set. It's contracted out. It's a contract job that get's the label "Gretsch" on it..
It's to hopefully fill a market spot so they can (build their US sets) remain competitive and stay in business.
So keep buying them out there..

Last edited:

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Well I appreciate that. Wasn't representative of a true Gretsch I want you to understand technically

Gretsch employees don't make that set. It's contracted out. It's a contract job that get's the label "Gretsch" on it..
It's to hopefully fill a market spot so they can (build their US sets) remain competitive and stay in business.
So keep buying them out there..
Apology accepted, JDA.

Reactions: JDA

ThomFloor

Reaction score
Problem here is we cannot form a true blind test of those on this thread who said they can indeed ID said drums.The real truth is not testable here.

Last edited:

Latest posts