Drums YOU can Identify purely by sound???

phoster

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
JDA - are you saying you can differentiate between a Gretsch USA tom and a Renown tom?

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
Every drummer I know of, would say yes to that. Not saying "you are supposed to like" one or the other.
2) I'm sure someone could make a video post to you tube tuned exactly (usually low and soft) and say " see no difference'. But live with them in person.
Is the best I can tell you. Not interested in discussing. If the whole subject goes any further no use discussing brands if you can get craviattos to sound like Pearls and Gretsch to sound like Ludwigs and Paiste to sound like Zildjian and Promarks to feel like Vic Firths then whats the point of discussing anything. Which in a way is true; the whole Forum thing is opinion. I'm ok with that too. Because it's internet chat and internet chat at one time was considered not reality. Somehow it's become reality. So I'm just trying to deal with it in the old school way. I'm sure somewhere someone can youtube every brand tuned low and soft to sound exactly same. Not cymbals tho. That'd be a little tougher. Yet..
So then you have internet reality. "I mean I can prove things on youtube so the sound must be true" . Soon that's where we'll all live. If we don't already.

3) In real -time -life I heard a very clean pure tone (from one hit) on Renown. USA Customs (same hit) have all kind of twang and bend in their (one hit) tone.
It's not something you can tune out (or can tune in) . It's inherent in the design;

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
^ on youtobe (correct spelling youlobe) everything is relevant ..even cats playing piano and dogs singing the star spangled banner

phoster

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I never mentioned Youtube. It was a legit question.

Thanks for answering it in the first sentence so I didn’t have to read the rest :)

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
Mutt is a producer known for many iconic recordings, known for the sort of drum sounds you probably don't care for.

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
Well, ok - Back in Black, Hysteria, and just about everything that sounds remotely like those two since.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
Does Mutt Lange brand of drums count?
Back in Black, Hysteria, and just about everything that sounds remotely like those two since.
Can't follow ya buddy.
Maybe someone else can. Count as what? You mean the producer has the drum sound? or something? Yes. That's what was mentioned before. In simpler recordings of yesteryear what the drums sounded like in the room was rawer

DrummerJustLikeDad

That's Me, The Silent Son
Reaction score
Drumline in the Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging
I haven't any interest in stencil kits (or copy kts) (or smooshed together globalized kits) from anyone.
I’ll take us really off topic at this point, but to build off what JDA is saying, why DO manufacturers try to be what they’re not? And yes, I know the answer is always profit.

How many deer hunters have proudly offered me their venison saying, “It doesn’t even taste like venison! It taste like steak!“ Is that really what you want? All your hours hiding in a tree to provide a unique food that you managed to get to taste like everything else?

Or my friend in high school, a Metallica fan, who was so happy to play me a song off their new album saying, “Now THIS song could play in top 40!“ As if success meant wearing off the edges of his favorite band until nobody could tell the difference.

Similarly, I actually know a hard-core fisherman who soaks his fish fillets in milk all night to take out all that “offensive” fishiness . Or 30 years ago, when country music happily, proudly and successfully did everything it could not to sound like country anymore.

Back to point, I love me Turkish cymbals, hammered warm and dark. But sometimes I actually find I’m in the mood for a Paiste, shimmery bright and as sparkly as an Abba record. Honestly, why would they want to make cymbals that sound like anything else?

In my field, I remember being told by consultants, “Identify your niche by doing only that which no one else is doing, then hit that with all you got.” I want Ludwigs to sound tubby. I want Gretsch to knock and twang like Chet Atkins’s bongos, and even though I’m a steak and prog guy all day long, when I want to listen to Master of Puppets eating Louisiana catfish, I most definitely do not want Night Ranger and Captain Gorton’s fish sticks. I want somebody who made their name, proudly bringing that tradition with all their heart.

EDIT: And now really back to point, I guess when I hear recordings of drums, I want to hear that their very best attributes were celebrated for all they’re worth; not taped down, overstuffed, and otherwise had their highly reputed, singular character completely squeezed out of them.

Last edited:

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
I give up on this crowd. YES, it was tongue in cheek, he has his own producer sound, but I agree with the original premise that the drums themselves aren't readily identifiable by sound.

ThomFloor

Reaction score
the whole Forum thing is opinion. I'm ok with that too. Because it's internet chat and internet chat at one time was considered not reality. Somehow it's become reality.
Exactly, so in reality I opine there is no way you can tell a Gretsch Renown tom from a USA Custom tom, all factors the same, blind test, in person. I should also say, you have a 50:50 chance to be correct.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have already done that test for myself in person. I'm satisfied with the results. No further clarification needed nor sought ha)
I like the twannng.. versus the Cleean
~
You know what the renowns were? because it's a good story..
Do you remember the absolute very first inkling mention notice---that a 'renown was coming? You may.
The very first was (usually Red some shade of Red..) be Bop configuration; This was before entire line was revealed.
There were 16x18 (or 15" or 14") X 18 bass drums. 8x12/ 14x14/ a snare.

that's what dealers got first So. My Pittsburgh dealer had -at the time I happened to be visiting.
Right next to that kit was..memory memory... was a 120th Anniversary Champagne Sparkle USA Custom 18" 12" 14x14.

I slapped the 14" on the renowns. I slapped the 14 on the USA customs and heard the difference.
the Renowns were clean no interference in the tone sound wave. Clean. Like a 'Tama'..
the 120th UsA twanged and growled and floated and I recognized that as sounding like my RB's back home I had for 30 years.
~
Same thing when the Broadkasters came out (around 99) I was at that same store (the Gunmetal BK's)
I sat and played those for about 4 seconds said to myself. No use getting these ' they sound the same as my RB's back home".

So anyway whatever.
~
this is I think the original release config of renowns:

Last edited:

ThomFloor

Reaction score
I have already done that test for myself in person. I'm satisfied with the results. No further clarification needed nor sought ha)
I like the twannng.. versus the Cleean
haha, you got me there..... So you yourself set up the toms for the test?

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
The sets were already set up; wwwy? effin Store remember those? they were both actually set up on display, on a riser so they were both Ear level (I've owned a Gretsch sets continuously since 1975 plus another 5/6/7 other brands since 1968..

Last edited: