Dual Zone Tom Pads - Worth the Extra Cost?

ruanddu

Reaction score
I have a chance to buy from a friend two Roland PD-125 pads to replace my single zone Hart pads. I use a Roland TD-20 with a older Hart e-kit with dual zone snare but single zone toms through Superior Drummer 2.0.

My question is how necessary do you think dual zones are for toms? I don't tend to rim shot much (striking both head and rim together) but do think it's nice to have the ability if that's what the dual zone allows? How often do you use the dual zone feature on your toms?

Anyone know if Superior Drummer 2.0 is setup for dual zone tom sounds?

Thanks!
Josh

wolfereeno

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yes! And you should learn to do more rimshots ;-)

I love it.

You can also buy older single zone pads and upgrade them as well by adding a 5$ piezo.

wolfereeno

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Any good drum VST is setup for dual zone toms. I'm sure superior handles it.

Dual zone's a really great option. I had older single zone PD-100 tom pads for years, and upgraded them myself to dual zone using a kit I bought for about $10 per drum. The expressiveness is a great option as you get increased location sensing as well as additional trigger sounds.

dtk

DFO Master
Reaction score
or...don't do more rim shots and look at it as having two triggers in one place...and trigger very different sounds.

Fly navy

Reaction score
You can assign any sound you want to any input you choose. You can trigger a cowbell, closed hats, a cymbal.......anything to the tom rim!
OH, and if you can.......you want to get SD3! It is mind numbingly awesome!!!!

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
As long as the pads are large enough so that you don't mistakenly hit the rim when intending to hit only the head, then going to a dual-trigger pad is a great way to incorporate additional sounds into an e-kit, especially when you have a limited number of inputs on your module.

wolfereeno

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
what single zone pads do you use? You can upgrade an old PD100 pad to dual zone with a cheap kit. I did it to 3 pads and have been using them for years.

The kits are usually on ebay or vdrums with a little searching. This video describes it.

Latest posts