header.nohb.html

Duct Tape on Cymbals! Arrrggghh! How do you remove the glue without destroying the cymbal?

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I picked up my friend's 70s Pearl Wood-Fiberglass drums. They're in great condition! They really built these things!

Got a few cymbals with it, 14" Zildjian hi-hats and 18" Crash or Crash/Ride, but also a 16" SUPER, which I'm interested in hearing, except that someone went hog wild with the evil duct tape on it! Removing it predictably left the dried-on glue behind...argghh...how to go about it without destroying the cymbal, myself, or my house?

Dan

Murat

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have a very expensive Ottaviano cymbal at the shop, left on consignment and the owner had taped it...tons of residue. I contacted Justin Ottaviano to see what he would recommend. I am aware of the usual methods but these are expensive stuff and I did not want to ruin anything. People use different stuff to protect their cymbals. He said mineral spirits. Worked like a charm.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I bought a floor tom that had been "rewrapped" in duct tape. In my case I had to be concerned with getting the residue off without hurting the wrap. I ended up using WD-40. It worked great, although it took a lot of WD-40 and lots and lots of elbow grease.

With a cymbal I'd think something like acetone would make short work of it and not hurt the bronze in any way, although if it's a newer cymbal acetone would also remove any clear coat and/or inked logos on the cymbal. If you need to avoid that then WD-40 might be an option.

richardh253

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
We use both mayonnaise and peanut butter to remove pine sap after gathering green pinon pine cones, so I have no doubt it will remove glue residue.
Great for cymbals. Makes me wonder now about eating either, though.

1670113059444.png

varatrodder

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Smart Strip paint remover. It’s eco friendly, non-toxic and works like a charm. It’s basically alcohol paste. Removes logos, too. It’s good around the house as well.

Squirrel Man

DFO Master
Reaction score
I would strongly not recommend WD-40, it's a corrosive.

I only use it for cleaning rust off of stuff.

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
When my kitten gets some sticky ick in her fur … I toss her in the freezer for a bit to get the ick frozen and then take a hammer to it.
It usually breaks off and away cleanly.
Maybe give that a go.