Duffy Jackson left the bandstand

drumsforme

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
He was a fixture down here is South Florida, he would visit the local Sam Ash in Margate, Fl....you would run into him. He worked with the schools in Palm Beach County. Great guy, friendly ......very sad. Surely knew how to drive a band!

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
He was a fixture down here is South Florida, he would visit the local Sam Ash in Margate, Fl....you would run into him. He worked with the schools in Palm Beach County. Great guy, friendly ......very sad. Surely knew how to drive a band!
Check out the video interview I posted in post#11. It has some amazing footage of young Duffy, and the FB tribute written by drummer, Billy Paul, in post #14. Nobody ever drove a band better than that, IMO.

Tigerdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
He was incredible. Wow. I saw this back then, and never saw anything like it before, completely blew me away. Absolute commitment and forward motion.

What a shame. Seems like a tremendous talent and a great guy. And if he had half the fun playing that he seemd to he had a wonderful life. Found this about him.

Last edited:

DavedrumsTX

Reaction score
He was incredible. Wow. I saw this back then, and never saw anything like it before, completely blew me away. Absolute commitment and forward motion.

Duffy was great!! I never knew why he was not a household name among drummers. That cat could swing.
I saw him only once in the late 70s with Count Basie and Ella Fitzgerald. I went back stage and met The Count, Freddie Green, Mickey Roker and Duffy. Duffy was ringing wet from an incredible performance, yet he was so kind to me(an 17 year old aspiring Jazz drummer). I always remember that evening and Duffy.

RIP Mr. Jackson. Heaven is swinging big time.

piccupstix

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Just now catching up to this. Very sad. I remember years ago the Count Basie Orchestra came out here to play at Irwindale Drag Strip(!) and I wasn't expecting much because by then it was a different band and led by someone else. I was blown away by Duffy on drums and from then on he remained on my radar.

Thanks for that Drum Battle clip above. I sure dug Lionel's musicality!

R.I.P Duffy

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
He knew how to get a great sound, and hit pretty hard! He brought it! Love some of those licks!

Burning.

HOLY SMOKES! That second video is nuts! It must have just gone up on youtube. Never seen it before. I’ve always said Duffy had more energy in his little finger than most drummers have in their whole family. You should have seen him in his 20’s. I still can’t believe he’s gone.