Duluth Brass Die Cast Hoops

Jemdrums

Reaction score
Who has experience with the Duluth Die Cast Brass hoops?

I almost always end up with Die Casts on my snare drums though for some snares there is a point at which certain hoops just end up chocking them. Interested in how they go tone wise and also how much they chew up sticks. I hit mainly rim shots and some die casts are great, others I just can't afford how much they chew up my sticks!

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I have them on my Duluth drum and I like them. I haven't played it all that much (gigs have been in short supply and I have about 200 snare drums so they haven't gotten out much lately) but I haven't noticed them being any harsher on sticks then any other hoops would be. They aren't cheap, especially if purchased individually (price break if you order them with a shell). You can see them in my unpacking video...

Jemdrums

Reaction score
I have them on my Duluth drum and I like them. I haven't played it all that much (gigs have been in short supply and I have about 200 snare drums so they haven't gotten out much lately) but I haven't noticed them being any harsher on sticks then any other hoops would be. They aren't cheap, especially if purchased individually (price break if you order them with a shell). You can see them in my unpacking video...

Thanks a lot!

hsosdrum

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

So what did that bronze beauty finally weigh-in at when fully assembled? If there's a pool put me down for 24 lb!

EDIT: I found the thread you posted last year when you got it. You said 26 lb — that's a heavyweight for sure! BTW, it sounds wonderful!

Last edited:

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Who has experience with the Duluth Die Cast Brass hoops?

I almost always end up with Die Casts on my snare drums though for some snares there is a point at which certain hoops just end up chocking them. Interested in how they go tone wise and also how much they chew up sticks. I hit mainly rim shots and some die casts are great, others I just can't afford how much they chew up my sticks!
As far as tone goes, here's a few vids for ya, not sure how much your expecting the cast rim to change the charater of your drum, or if cost is a factor either... You can probaly dig around YT for additional compare/contrast to help your decision making regarding tone.

Not Duluth, but Savage Custom Drums Cast Bronze hoops in this compare/contrast vids featuring a BB 8" shell and TF and CB hoops:

Orillio Cast Bronze vs Tama Die Cast hoops:

Here in this comparison vid, the owner taps the unmounted hoops so you can get an idea what Cast Bz hoops sound like (Tama - gets ya in the neighbor hood at least):

Jemdrums

Reaction score
As far as tone goes, here's a few vids for ya, not sure how much your expecting the cast rim to change the charater of your drum, or if cost is a factor either... You can probaly dig around YT for additional compare/contrast to help your decision making regarding tone.

Not Duluth, but Savage Custom Drums Cast Bronze hoops in this compare/contrast vids featuring a BB 8" shell and TF and CB hoops:

Orillio Cast Bronze vs Tama Die Cast hoops:

Here in this comparison vid, the owner taps the unmounted hoops so you can get an idea what Cast Bz hoops sound like (Tama - gets ya in the neighbor hood at least):

Thanks for these! Yeah Cade's stuff is top notch. Not sure if some of these "Cast Bronze" hoops are in fact Cast Brass like the duluths. I have a ludwig Marching Hoop - die cast is Bronze (I think, could be brass) and it affects the tone of any drum I have put it on greatly. Usually for the better.

halldorl

DFO Master
Reaction score
Thanks for these! Yeah Cade's stuff is top notch. Not sure if some of these "Cast Bronze" hoops are in fact Cast Brass like the duluths. I have a ludwig Marching Hoop - die cast is Bronze (I think, could be brass) and it affects the tone of any drum I have put it on greatly. Usually for the better.
Aren’t Cade’s shells and hoops made by Duluth? I believe so, at least the shells.

From Duluth’s website:

01FC524D-370F-423C-8248-3E5F3B0A4989.jpeg

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
No problem! Just to help you clarify your understanding of casting...

In foundry/metal work, casting is the process of delivering liquid metal (or their alloys) into a mold and can be of the following types: centrifugal casting; investment casting; sand casting; and die casting...
Casting can employ a mold or 'die' that can be used repeated or by using a disposable mold made from sand (or wax) that is used one time. The die casting process presses together two dies forming the mold cavity and then molten metal is injected into the mold/die under pressure. As the dies can be reused they are great for high volume runs, but they are expensive to produce.

So in the end, the various casting processes will produce similiar outcomes*, the metal or alloy will be the big differentiator in the final product to us.
*some process cost more to produce, are reusable, better suited to high/low volume production, require more/less set-up, require more/less finishing.

esooy

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just clarify the Duluth hoops are bronze too, not brass.

Jemdrums

Reaction score
Just clarify the Duluth hoops are bronze too, not brass.
Is there a reason they state that they are brass on their website then? Bronze makes more sense considering that’s what the shells are made of but I figured they also know their metals.

esooy

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is there a reason they state that they are brass on their website then? Bronze makes more sense considering that’s what the shells are made of but I figured they also know their metals.
Yeah, forever ago when I first started getting shells from them I had to clarify that because I wanted to engrave them. I think I recall, but it's been a while, that even though they are technically are made of cast bronze, they refer to them as brass. Maybe it's just a trade thing? Not sure. On their website they refer to them as brass shells, but on the process page it talks about the cast available bronze alloys.

Jemdrums

Reaction score
Yeah, forever ago when I first started getting shells from them I had to clarify that because I wanted to engrave them. I think I recall, but it's been a while, that even though they are technically are made of cast bronze, they refer to them as brass. Maybe it's just a trade thing? Not sure. On their website they refer to them as brass shells, but on the process page it talks about the cast available bronze alloys.

The bronze/brass confusion continues!

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I believe the Duluth hoops are an aluminum bronze alloy. They are lighter in weight than you would expect (although still heavy enough). When I ordered my shell and hoops you could choose your shell material between the traditional type bell brass (my choice) and the aluminum bronze but the hoops were only available in the latter alloy.

I've never run across any brass die cast hoops and have been told that brass cannot be die cast due to it's higher melting point. I'm not sure if that is accurate or not but almost all DC hoops are made of zinc alloys and always were. Many people seem to think that older Gretsch DC hoops were brass but they were not. The stick choppers that Gretsch used prior to switching to DC hoops were brass but those weren't cast.

My guess is that Duluth uses a different method of casting their hoops other than die-casting because A: they are bronze and B: casting dies are very expensive to have made and would have been a serious investment for a company to whom drum shells and parts are but a tiny segment of their overall business (at least so far). However the hoops are cast the end result does resemble the DC offerings, although unplated.

The fact that the company name is "Duluth Brass" does also add to the confusion but I do know that my shell was the regular bronze and my hoops are the aluminum bronze alloy.

So what did that bronze beauty finally weigh-in at when fully assembled? If there's a pool put me down for 24 lb!

EDIT: I found the thread you posted last year when you got it. You said 26 lb — that's a heavyweight for sure! BTW, it sounds wonderful!
yeah, it's one heavy drum. 26 pounds doesn't sound that heavy on paper but when you pick up that particular drum case it really defies expectations.

yeah

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have them on 2 cast bronze shells. They darken the sound a bit more than do chrome over zinc DC rims. They sound great on cast bronze shells.

bassanddrum84

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

That sounds amazing.