Duluth Brass Manufacturing Redux.

brhythm

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Well, my Duluth Bronze with matching hoops showed up today. Actually took off work an hour early to have time to put it together and give it a spin.

First off, John at Duluth was a pleasure to deal with. Answered questions promptly and professionally.

The shell and hoops were packed better than anything I’ve ever received. Wood lined box with lots of spacers and styrofoam to keep everything protected.

Shell looks gorgeous! Excellent machining, bearing edges, and snare beds are ultra precise. Reminds me of the early Tama bell brass edges.

I chose to go for some contrast to the bronze with black nickel hardware. Picked up the lugs from drumfactorydirect.com, and an inde strainer and butt.

Holes are all precise and clean. Everything lined up perfectly.

Got it put together, and it tuned up quicker than almost all of my drums. Some drums (including my bell brass) have to be tweaked a bit to get the best sound. This sounded phenomenal right away.

Set it up with an Evans Power Center Reverse Dot on top and a 300 snare side. Puresound equalizer wires.

For those who use tuning aids, with a drum dial the readings are 90 top/85 bottom. On the tunebot this comes out to a fundamental of 210 HZ with 330 HZ at the edges. Great crack with a ton of body still.

This thing is LOUD, but super ‘thick’ in its sound. Fat even cranked up. Musical overtones that don’t have that whine some snares do. Compared to the Tama at the sane tuning, the Duluth has more tone, not quite as dry. I have an oriollo cast bronze also that is a little wetter. It’s a perfect mix of the two tone wise, but a fatter overall sound.

Overall, I’m thrilled. Took a few months from order time till in my hands, but well worth the wait.

Here are some pics. Poor lighting in my house, I’ll get some daylight shots tomorrow.

View attachment 387700 View attachment 387701 View attachment 387702 View attachment 387703 View attachment 387704 View attachment 387705 View attachment 387706
THAT! How does one get THAT? Email Deluth? (BRhythm must go back and read 9 pages...)

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
Hey guys, first post. I’m Patrick, some may remember me as a longtime member of cymbalholic “Ptrick”.

Just pulled the trigger on a 6.5x14 aluminum bronze with matching hoops.

Does anyone have any audio or video files of theirs they can share? Need something to wet my whistle while I wait!

Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread so far! I will for sure post up pics when it’s all complete.
- Be careful what you wish for. This clip has a Drumcraft 6.5x14 with Duluth cast bronze rims:

The snare can cut if needed, but has a darker tonality that I very much like. It's bit different than what the Taiwanese die cast rim I had on earlier produces.

polycrescendo

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
- Be careful what you wish for. This clip has a Drumcraft 6.5x14 with Duluth cast bronze rims:
The snare can cut if needed, but has a darker tonality that I very much like. It's bit different than what the Taiwanese die cast rim I had on earlier produces.
Very nice! Cool band and nice, smooth playing on your part. The snare sounds great. I feel like the Duluth rims give a much warmer and fatter cross stick sound. They seem to activate the shell tone even with light cross stick taps.

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
Very nice! Cool band and nice, smooth playing on your part. The snare sounds great. I feel like the Duluth rims give a much warmer and fatter cross stick sound. They seem to activate the shell tone even with light cross stick taps.
Thanks very much. The cross stick is cool, but where these really shine, IMHO, is in the sound in the center head or ghost note sound they give the drum. And the rim shots have just enough pop.

Last edited:

Johnnythunder

Reaction score
These shells are pieces of art. Thanks to everyone for posting pics. I'm new to this forum, but following this thread has got me psyched! Been looking for a cast bronze/brass drum for quite a while. I think I'm going to pull the trigger and order one. Thanks for sharing guys!

Rich K.

DFO Master
Reaction score

Really nice playing.

Ptrick

Reaction score
Most recent Duluth build from yesterday. 13x6.5, treebronze alloy, black nickel tube lugs from DFD, inde strainer/butt. Incredible drums! Built it up as a smaller sibling to its big brother. Last picture is of my 14x6.5 aluminum bronze the day I built it up. You can see the treebronze is more golden, and the treebronze looks new like the aluminum bronze does now after 8 months of patina. Sound wise it’s too early to tell if there is a significant difference in sound from the two different alloys.

A 14x8 is in the works!!!

DECBF4B9-18AE-411E-BE4A-03F8C2555ABF.jpeg
433F45E9-B66A-4031-8019-7E1E3474A2FA.jpeg
3488FF50-8ACC-4030-B713-190ACC8AE3DF.jpeg
9079FA4C-78C8-4C46-82BD-0638DB7F5A62.jpeg
D7739872-D2F6-4715-8811-E97D49043910.jpeg
09E3FE5A-CEFA-4497-80B4-971AFB39A492.jpeg

Johnnythunder

Reaction score
Ptrick-beautiful drums! I just ordered the 8x14 two days ago. I'm trying to find some cool lugs for it. Cherry Hill is too busy, Sweet spot won't email me back (too busy I think) I already have some round, single point lugs from dfd. They are probably ok except they are only 5/8" diameter. Any other suggestions of where to look? Thanks

polycrescendo

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ptrick-beautiful drums! I just ordered the 8x14 two days ago. I'm trying to find some cool lugs for it. Cherry Hill is too busy, Sweet spot won't email me back (too busy I think) I already have some round, single point lugs from dfd. They are probably ok except they are only 5/8" diameter. Any other suggestions of where to look? Thanks
Have you heard of Matoon drums? He just made some nice solid brass lugs for a bronze build that Badger Drum company will be giving away for a good cause. Nice looking lugs, I would message him if you are willing to pay for custom lugs. Either way congrats on your Duluth build and we can't wait to see it.

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
I just got a 6.5x14 7mm (think Hinger) shell in from Duluth today. I'm going to put it in an old style Pearl Free floater apparatus with Duluth cast rims. Pix in a few days. Video later.

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
Thanks very much - I agree with your assessment of the rims' impact on the sound.

Ptrick

Reaction score
Are you set on single point lugs?

Thick tubes look great on these:

or something like these:

If those aren’t your fancy, I’d check with this guy on Instagram nebe_drums as he is making ocheltree like lugs.

Johnnythunder

Reaction score
Ptrick- thanks for the help. I'm not necessarily set on the single point lugs. I just have some already. I agree. I think something a little beefier would look better.

Ptrick

Reaction score
For reference, my 8x14 being built will have Ocheltree replica lugs I picked up here on the forum, and a patina finish by Savage Custom Drums. This is the reference drum:
2D079F01-6941-4BAD-9B86-9D8998EFDBD2.jpeg