Duluth Brass Manufacturing Redux.

Johnnythunder

Reaction score
Ya, I like those lugs. Sweet Spot has some 7 sided ones that are pretty nice, (if he'd email me back) but I understand he's pretty swamped.
Thanks for the suggestions, Mattoon drums have some nice offset ones too. I'm pretty sure I'll find something that works

latzanimal

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Halfway between the Quads and the Windy City...
Ptrick-beautiful drums! I just ordered the 8x14 two days ago. I'm trying to find some cool lugs for it. Cherry Hill is too busy, Sweet spot won't email me back (too busy I think) I already have some round, single point lugs from dfd. They are probably ok except they are only 5/8" diameter. Any other suggestions of where to look? Thanks
http://www.allstardrum.com/docs/products/index.html

Bob is a member here. They do great custom work...

Johnnythunder

Reaction score
latzanimal, thanks for pitching in. I talked with Bob and pretty much all he had was 5/8" lugs and some mini tubes. He did say they would custom make anything but I'm sure everything comes with a cost.

jhall

Reaction score
I read this entire thread! Very informative and helpful. Question. Has anyone played/compared other current manufactured offerings (Gretsch BB and the like) with their Duluth / Cherry Hill drums? Curious on how they compared, if at all.
Thanks!!

Ptrick

Reaction score
I had a Tama bell brass reissue before I had a Duluth. Picked up the Duluth and played them one after another for 6 months straight over dozens of gigs and several recording sessions. Both were 6.5x14. The Tama, on a good day, with the perfect tuning, could sound AS GOOD as the Duluth, but never better. The Duluth sounded better the majority of the time with less fiddling. The Tama sounded ‘cold’ in comparison to the Duluth. I’ve since sold the Tama and bought two more Duluth’s.

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I had a Tama bell brass reissue before I had a Duluth. Picked up the Duluth and played them one after another for 6 months straight over dozens of gigs and several recording sessions. Both were 6.5x14. The Tama, on a good day, with the perfect tuning, could sound AS GOOD as the Duluth, but never better. The Duluth sounded better the majority of the time with less fiddling. The Tama sounded ‘cold’ in comparison to the Duluth. I’ve since sold the Tama and bought two more Duluth’s.
Which shell did you compare to the Tama ? The aluminum bronze ?

Why do I get the impression if you want to replicate the Tama you get the tree bronze ? It’s actually rather confusing to me. Last year people were hearing a difference between the two Duluth shells but now not so much ? Or are people comparing a 6.5 of one she’ll wirb the 8” of another ?
What’s going on ?

Ptrick

Reaction score
Both 6.5x14 drums. Aluminum bronze to the Tama bell brass.

I now have treebronze and aluminum bronze drums (although different sizes), and they respond and sound so close I don’t think I could pick between them based on alloy alone.

Either alloy sound phenomenal, and both sound and respond better than the Tama bell brass reissue I owned to my ears.

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
Some pix of the 6.5x14 Duluth Castings Al Bronze shell in a first generation Pearl free floater apparatus:
The first picture is of the shells (one went to a friend) as they arrived.

The others are on the home kit. I'm still dialing in the tuning; my drum is 7mm thick and combined with the cast bronze rims sounds darker than the 3 MM cast bronze shells I've played. I put a coated G1 up top a few minutes ago. Sound files in a few days; I want the head to settle in first.

Last edited:

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
My wife asked me if I wanted to get one combined birthday/Christmas present. I immediately thought of getting one of these shells to build up. So I emailed asking for more info. I'm thinking 6.5 or 7" shell with eight lugs. We'll see, they might be out of her (our) price range but worth a shot.

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
The first picture is of the shells (one went to a friend) as they arrived.

The others are on the home kit. I'm still dialing in the tuning; my drum is 7mm thick and combined with the cast bronze rims sounds darker than the 3 MM cast bronze shells I've played. I put a coated G1 up top a few minutes ago. Sound files in a few days; I want the head to settle in first.
- sorry to procrastinate so for so long. Here is a link to what the snare sounds like live:

This is from last night. The tune starts at a lower volume and builds. It gets rockin' toward the last 1/3.

The shell is in a first generation Pearl free floater assembly; I had to change the snare side head and retweek the strainer to optimize the sound.

The whole thing is hefty, but I very much like the way it sounds, and I saved a bunch vs. what it would have cost me to buy this from Tama, et al.

andlours

Reaction score
I've really been eyeing these shells. I have a full set of Ludwig mini-classic lugs and a p83 strainer that I'd love to use on one of these shells. I've recently grown to love 13" snares, but I would also love to have a classic 8" x 14" bell bronze snare as I don't have any 8" deep snares. What would you guys recommend from your experience: a 7"x13" shell or an 8"x14" shell?

Thanks!

Ptrick

Reaction score
I can give you direct experience. I have a 13x6.5 and 14x8 Duluth (also a 14x6.5). The 13” is great. Cuts thru the mix no matter what. Huge “pop” to the sound.

The 14x8 is a whole different animal, even from its 6.5” deep brother. More of EVERYTHING. More tone, bottom, volume. Can still be cranked to a pitch similar to the 13, but with massive heft behind it. Of all 3 drums, it is the cream of the crop. I couldn’t be happier. And it’s the only 8” deep drum I own, having thought the size wouldn’t work for me (usually a 6.5 kinda guy).

Ptrick

Reaction score
So back in the 90’s DW had production and one off special artist (like this Aswhon Sood 12x6,5 model https://reverb.com/item/10710674-dw-12x6-5-collector-s-series-cast-bronze-snare-drum?utm_source=ios-app&utm_medium=share) bronze snares. Were these made by Duluth too?
Definitely not Duluth. The first time Duluth ever made shells was in 1999 for the Paiste Spirit of 2002 drums. The DW drums also were 3mm, which Duluth has only just begun to offer. The DW cast bronze models were also kinda orangish-red. They also didn’t sound too good in my opinion.