Duluth Brass Manufacturing Redux.

Ptrick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Beautiful!!! Couple questions for you if you don’t mind. Where’d you score the Ocheltree replica lugs from? And have you had any issue with them stripping at all?

I just found this thread and hoping Duluth is still making these drum shells and hoop!

Trying to get all the details squared away before I Email them. Any procedure /
Order details greatly appreciated!!

I would need to mail them the lugs, throw, strainer right? Anything else besides shell size/thickness?

Also, what are your thoughts about shell thickness?

I’m looking to have made a 8 x 14 and a 6.5 x 14

thanks so much!!
Specify shell dimensions, type of bronze (treebronze-the original Ocheltree alloy...around B11-12...88-89% copper to tin), or aluminum-bronze, where the aluminum is substituted for the tin.
They currently can do 13 and 14 inch diameter snares.

Shell thickness. The thinnest they make is 3mm (like a Tama Bell Brass), the typical Ocheltree thickness is 4.7-4.8 mm, and I believe they can go thicker.

Are you getting matching bronze hoops?

Specify number of lugs (for drilling and if you’re getting matching hoops) 13” drums only come with 8 hole bronze hoops, 14” drums can have 8 lug or 10 lug hoops made.

Yes send in your hardware (at least one lug, throw/butt, vent hole grommet (if used), and they drill for your hardware.

They also do the edges and beds, which are sharp 45’s that are IMMACULATE. I don’t believe they do other edges, which is fine, theirs are perfect.

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
Beautiful!!! Couple questions for you if you don’t mind. Where’d you score the Ocheltree replica lugs from? And have you had any issue with them stripping at all?

I just found this thread and hoping Duluth is still making these drum shells and hoop!

Trying to get all the details squared away before I Email them. Any procedure /
Order details greatly appreciated!!

I would need to mail them the lugs, throw, strainer right? Anything else besides shell size/thickness?

Also, what are your thoughts about shell thickness?

I’m looking to have made a 8 x 14 and a 6.5 x 14

thanks so much!!
Hello Spw, a generous fellow lent me a NOS Ocheltree lug, I then took it to a Master Machinist I know who replicated them exactly. I then finished them and sold all but one set for between $350-400 depending on the time it took me to finish them.

As far as the other questions, I am out of the Sand Cast Bronze snare game. I sold both of my Duluth snares.

That scene is really being run now by Polycrescendo and Ptrick. I’m sure one of them will be along shortly to answer those other questions for you. Great guys and very knowledgeable about ordering from Duluth.

polycrescendo

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I was lucky enough to score one of those sets of Ocheltree lugs from Nacci and they are indeed perfect. I think you won't have problems with solid brass lugs stripping as long as you use up the entire internal thread length inside the lug. Custom cut tension rods would be ideal. I had a set of solid machined brass tension rods and lug locks made for my lugs and they look great together.

My current build is a 14x8 5.2mm, and next one is probably going to be 14x6.5 with 3mm shell with the Ocheltree lugs.

I can't wait to see your snares and welcome to the forum!

Ptrick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I too have a set of Nacci’s lugs I used for a 14x8 build.

1F490FEB-254C-45AD-A750-CA5AEB26A796.jpeg

If you are looking for another version of Ocheltree type lugs, check out nebe_drums on Instagram. He said he will sell lugs individually.

7B87343A-21AA-451F-8293-2E8F5BDDF066.jpeg

bleen

Reaction score
My shell and hoops arrived yesterday (6.5x14, 3mm shell) and I put everything together and gave it a test drive today. First of all, the craftsmanship on this is just stunning, and the sound is unlike any drum in my collection. I may have some drums that have been made redundant...

duluth-sm-1.jpg

duluth-sm-2.jpg

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Just used mine for the first time for a rock gig....OH. MY. GOD!. WOW!
Worth every precious penny. I had three different people ask me "what kind of snare drum is that?" And the sound person said "man I don't know what kind of snare that is but it sure sounds great". I guess I have a bunch of snare drums that are going to be spending more time being left at home.

20200314_001329.jpg

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My shell and hoops arrived yesterday (6.5x14, 3mm shell) and I put everything together and gave it a test drive today. First of all, the craftsmanship on this is just stunning, and the sound is unlike any drum in my collection. I may have some drums that have been made redundant...

View attachment 430763

View attachment 430764
Beeautiful Don! That´s what a good Bell Brass does; makes other drums reduntant

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Just used mine for the first time for a rock gig....OH. MY. GOD!. WOW!
Worth every precious penny. I had three different people ask me "what kind of snare drum is that?" And the sound person said "man I don't know what kind of snare that is but it sure sounds great". I guess I have a bunch of snare drums that are going to be spending more time being left at home.

View attachment 430803
Calf?

Ptrick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My new shell is nearly ready. 14x5.5, lines top and bottom third. It will be shipped to Shawn Ryan at Salt Drums for patina treatment, and will be adorned with gold tube lugs and lightning throw/butt from Gretsch.
A105A183-B3AB-4886-AB14-E0E9F0A98ED5.jpeg
EBA3C3C4-3ACE-421A-B904-8BD3BEC25670.jpeg

Latest posts