Duluth Brass Manufacturing Redux.

fuzzbomb

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
For those of you who used Ocheltree-style (or actual ones) lugs, how did you decide the length of tension rod and distance from the edge of the shell for the lug mounting hole?

I was thinking I would use 2" tension rods. John at Duluth said that 1 5/8" from the edge of the shell is what the Drumtree snares used.
I have no idea how to determine if that would work.

polycrescendo

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
For those of you who used Ocheltree-style (or actual ones) lugs, how did you decide the length of tension rod and distance from the edge of the shell for the lug mounting hole?

I was thinking I would use 2" tension rods. John at Duluth said that 1 5/8" from the edge of the shell is what the Drumtree snares used.
I have no idea how to determine if that would work.
I had John drill my shells using his old measurements of 1 5/8" for when they made the Paiste kits. It worked perfectly. You could use 42mm or 47mm tension rods depending on if you want the whole internal threading to be used or if you'd rather not have any rod sticking out the end, or custom cut them. I will say that 2" rods will be a bit long if you have it drilled at 1 5/8".

Johnnythunder

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
If anyone would know it would be John (@ Duluth). I for one would certainly listen to his advice, who would know better than him? One of the cool parts of putting one the babies together is it's yours, make it anyway you like.

fuzzbomb

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had John drill my shells using his old measurements of 1 5/8" for when they made the Paiste kits. It worked perfectly. You could use 42mm or 47mm tension rods depending on if you want the whole internal threading to be used or if you'd rather not have any rod sticking out the end, or custom cut them. I will say that 2" rods will be a bit long if you have it drilled at 1 5/8".
Thanks so much for the info @polycrescendo! I'm having the lugs and tension rods made by Justin Nebe at Nebe Drum so I should be able to ask him to make them shorter. I just had no idea.
I like the way the Drumtree snares look with the lugs that distance from the shell so I'd rather get shorter tension rods.

Is there a picture of your snare in the thread? I'll scroll back through.

fuzzbomb

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
If anyone would know it would be John (@ Duluth). I for one would certainly listen to his advice, who would know better than him? One of the cool parts of putting one the babies together is it's yours, make it anyway you like.
Oh yeah I trust John for sure and I plan to ask him to use the Treebronze lug distance. It was the length of the tension rod John wasn't sure about since that's not really their wheelhouse.

Johnnythunder

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ahh! understood. I used this forum for advice (on lugs and stuff) and the people on here are more than willing to help out. The drumming brotherhood is cool!

fuzzbomb

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ahh! understood. I used this forum for advice (on lugs and stuff) and the people on here are more than willing to help out. The drumming brotherhood is cool!
I don't know how I hadn't discovered this forum before, so far it certainly seems like a good bunch of folks. As well as the bronze snare group on FB.
I have a lot of friends who are guitar gear nerds but not as many that are drum gear nerds. It's always great finding people who are willing to share knowledge and experience.

polycrescendo

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah, I remember looking at that post...just didn't remember which user. Those toms and the Savage snare look great.
Do you mind sharing what length tension rods you used on the toms?
I ended up swapping out the 42mm rods with 47mm rods to satisfy my OCD. They do poke out just a tiny bit on the opposite side of the lug when the drum is at tension so a custom rod at about 45mm would probably be perfect. That is assuming that your lugs are the same depth as a standard Ocheltree lug or similar.

#Gerard

Reaction score
Thanks so much for the info @polycrescendo! I'm having the lugs and tension rods made by Justin Nebe at Nebe Drum so I should be able to ask him to make them shorter. I just had no idea.
I like the way the Drumtree snares look with the lugs that distance from the shell so I'd rather get shorter tension rods.

Is there a picture of your snare in the thread? I'll scroll back through.
Hi Fuzzbomb.

Are you having Justin do custom lugs for you, or are you just buying the standard lugs he is selling?

What material are these lugs and tension rods?

Thanks and looking forward to seeing your pics!

Gerard

fuzzbomb

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi Fuzzbomb.

Are you having Justin do custom lugs for you, or are you just buying the standard lugs he is selling?

What material are these lugs and tension rods?

Thanks and looking forward to seeing your pics!

Gerard
Hey Gerard, Justin is making a set of one of his standard lug designs for me. They're very much like the lugs that were on the Ocheltree Treebonze snares. He's doing the lugs and the tension rods in bronze so it should match the shell nicely.

Will definitely post some pics once pieces start arriving!

#Gerard

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply, Fuzzbomb!

Does Justin do custom lugs?

Gerard

purity

Reaction score
Something else you guys may want to think about: find a Pearl Free floater assembly, first generation (more recent ones have had stripping issues) in the depth of your choice. Then John doesn't have to do anything but cast the right shell and ship it to you.
That's a nice use of the free floating assembly, very cool snare. The kit that's sitting in front of it is something else too...

Scottie15

Reaction score
Something else you guys may want to think about: find a Pearl Free floater assembly, first generation (more recent ones have had stripping issues) in the depth of your choice. Then John doesn't have to do anything but cast the right shell and ship it to you.

Already did! Got this shell last month. Already had the chassis and throw-off. 3mm, sharp 45 bearing edge on one side, and a rounded 45 on the other.

BellBronze.jpg

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
That's a nice use of the free floating assembly, very cool snare. The kit that's sitting in front of it is something else too...
- Thanks. It's nice to have good tools.