Duluth snare in action

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
And you aren't even smackin' it.

Definitely cast bronze. It has a sound of its own. That's why we buy them.

Ptrick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I dug that! I like the video editing as well. And from the first snare roll, I could hear that familiar fat pop of a Duluth.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
The Kangaroo head might play a part in things as well.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Drum sounds great! What happened to the lead singer?
You must mean Don the old guy in my previous videos.
He was a great guy with a unique (although somewhat polarizing) voice (people seemed to love it or hate it) but after two years he still hadn't been able to learn any new material. Week after week of rehearsals he'd pull a sheaf of lyric sheets out of his back pocket. Prior to any song there would be a ten minute hunt for the right scrap of paper. We offered to supply him with a computer or tablet to maybe help but he doesn't even own a TV so that was out. Eventually it sank in that this wasn't going to work unless we were happy to play the same 8 songs he did seem to know. I don't know if this was a result of his age (72) or just a lack of commitment on his part but when the guitar player started to consider moving on to other projects we had to make a decision. The bass player was always capable of singing but hadn't wanted to be the singer. We tried a couple of other candidates but they lacked the "snarl" we were looking for so Butch has taken over singing. Likewise the keyboard player was never quite what we wanted (Hammond B3) and also was of a mindset that every song should sound just like the record (unless, oddly, the record featured a B3 in which case he seemed determined to use some other sound) whereas we like to try to change things up a bit. He was always just kind of there but not really a part of the thing other than the extent of saying "it doesn't go like that" and pulling up a video from youtube right then and there to prove his point(as if we cared) and when he seemed to ghost away over the holidays we were happy to let him.

So we finally reached the point of being ready to book ourselves and then all this happens and there are no gigs to be had. My day job (coin op amusements) is also connected to the bar business so now I'm laid off for the first time after 26 years at the same company. Quite a surprise as I always figured that a job connected to drinking and gambling was fairly recession proof but hadn't ever considered what a pandemic might do.

Fortunately we did get this one gig in with this new streamlined lineup (I'm still holding out hope for a B-3 guy but I think the other two like the trio sound...and pay scale) so we now have some demo video to show around once things start to return to normal.

That was one week ago yesterday. Amazing how much things can change in such a short time.

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thanks! I'm more of a Ringo or Charlie than a Neil or Bonzo but I manage to get the job done and other musicians seem to like what I do, so as long as I can weasel my way into good bands and stay I'm happy ;) .

Was spot on for the tunes in my book... you know what "they" say... Play the tune and carry a big snare! You have both of those covered!

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
been watching these, think you need a bigger bass drum.. I can't hear it or feel it at times..
maybe both heads on would help i dunno.
can hear it when you really stomp on it,, then it goes away..
1st one you posted Matchstick Men ? was when I noticed it -
hear me? ;) lol
ain't tryin to be mean just tryin to be honest.

- could be the balance on my speakers hang on..
..nope

Last edited:

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Extremely nice sounding snare ... cool playing, too ... but that goes without saying.
Really cool sound.
Outstanding cymbal sounds.
You've got a neat surf-beat kinda vibe going ... if you're familiar with Daniel Amos, you have an Ed McTaggart thing.
Your new lead singer has a sound lifted from Jacob's Trouble - a very cool group from the late 80s-90s.
Look 'em up and you'll get what I'm saying.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
been watching these, think you need a bigger bass drum.. I can't hear it or feel it at times..
maybe both heads on would help i dunno.
can hear it when you really stomp on it,, then it goes away..
1st one you posted Matchstick Men ? was when I noticed it -
hear me? ;) lol
ain't tryin to be mean just tryin to be honest.
That's a 22"
I think the beef would either be with the club's sound girl or maybe the guy shooting the video. I know it was plenty loud in my monitor. No idea how it was out front as I didn't have control over the mix, obviously. It's a house system but it's pretty high end stuff with very good subs. It might be that the video guy's zoom recorder rolled off the very low end. I know that on the videos he did from our previous gig in the same club you can see all the cameras bounce a tiny bit on every bass drum hit, indicating it was plenty loud, yet the bass drum sound is not prominent in the video mix.

I tend not to play really loud and leave it up to the sound system to make up for that. Of course there are accents on cymbal hits and such. If we get a dud sound man I guess there might be a problem. Usually the drums are pretty prominent, but that is up to whomever shows up to run sound (it's been a different person each time at this particular club). If we were hiring sound then perhaps I could have a bit more say in the final mix...but again it might just be the way it was recorded...or even the speakers you're listening on.

All I can say is that several people who were in the room said that the drums sounded really great. They were particularly impressed with the snare but several were wowed by the Psych Red finish and the sound of the toms and bass. There was at least one friend there that definitely would have told me if the bass drum hadn't been in the mix and he didn't mention it. So...I don't know. I do know the mic was working and the resulting sound sounded great in the two 15" speakers that I had as a monitor.

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
my speakers are fine. I'd suggest a full front head on that bass to get a fuller sound but that's just me
I tend not to play really loud
it's a little bit of that too when there's accent and 'moments' you thrust right into them but then when calms back down you - YOUR FOOT_ sort a disappears. I'd say need a little heavier foot or a more resonant BD..just me opinion because those two guys out front aren't backing off and even when they do you could use a more 'equal' presence ( presence not presents ; )

Last edited:

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Extremely nice sounding snare ... cool playing, too ... but that goes without saying.
Really cool sound.
Outstanding cymbal sounds.
You've got a neat surf-beat kinda vibe going ... if you're familiar with Daniel Amos, you have an Ed McTaggart thing.
Your new lead singer has a sound lifted from Jacob's Trouble - a very cool group from the late 80s-90s.
Look 'em up and you'll get what I'm saying.
Thanks, I'll check that out. Our bass player was big in the punk and rockabilly scene back in the 80's. I like what he brings to the table vocally.

Cymbals are 16, 18, and 20" Supernatural "Impact" models. Hi-Hats are 14" Bettis and the other crash on my right is an AAX Xplosion crash. Also there's an AA Chinese lurking in the back. No Zildjians at this gig. I really like the sound of the Supernaturals. I'm not even sure if this company is still in business but these were another Turkish made make. I won these cymbals (and a pair of hats which I have yet to try) from Classic Drummer Magazine several years ago. It was one of those drawing things you could enter. I got these cymbals along with a DW performance series drum set. I soon traded the DW set off even up for a like new bop sized Nashville Slingerland set but I kept all the top line DW hardware and the cymbals. They sat around in the cymbal bag they came in for years and I kind of pulled them out on a whim about a year ago since I didn't want to risk any of my "good" cymbals on a louder gig...but Damn! These things are great sounding cymbals. This was the first time I used the ride cymbal. I had been using my Pre Aged Dry Light Ride K but again didn't want to risk maybe breaking it...but I think this Supernatural may be better suited to this particular sound anyhow.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
big in the punk
Swear to God when you first posted these, thought was well what kind of band is KO playing in and my 1st thought- This is a punk rock band ; ) interesting in its way;
Yes cymbals and the top end of the drumset are super fine; I'd get more outta that BD if I was you..I think it starts with two heads (I know there's a head there)

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
my speakers are fine. I'd suggest a full front head on that bass to get a fuller sound but that's just me

it's a little bit of that too when there's accent and 'moments' you thrust right into them but then when calms back down you - YOUR FOOT_ sort a disappears. I'd say need a little heavier foot or a more resonant BD..just me opinion because those two guys out front aren't backing off and even when they do you could use a more 'equal' presence ( presence not presents ; )
I had a full head on that drum until just prior to the gig. That is my preference but lately I've run into a spate of sound guys who seem incapable of dealing with such an animal so I resigned myself to cutting holes in some of my heads. I rotate my sets around for gigs although this particular group sort of screams for me to use my Psych Red or Mod Orange sets (which is a 20" bass drum) but I might just bring out one of my Gretsch sets the next time around, probably the Burnt Orange one with a 16x24" bass drum.

Reactions: JDA

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
It may be just something to do with the way he records the room for the videos. Considering that all of these are the live room sound they sound pretty great but I know I've had my recorder going where the bass drum overloads the recording on every hit so maybe this is his work around. I'll have to ask him next time I see him.

Reactions: JDA