Duluth snare in action

ARGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
been watching these, think you need a bigger bass drum.. I can't hear it or feel it at times..
maybe both heads on would help i dunno.
can hear it when you really stomp on it,, then it goes away..
1st one you posted Matchstick Men ? was when I noticed it -
hear me? ;) lol
ain't tryin to be mean just tryin to be honest.

- could be the balance on my speakers hang on..
..nope
Any assessment of how his drums sounded in that room on that night should be done by someone that was in that room on that night. A critique based on the drum sound in that video is just that.

cornelius

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I tend not to play really loud and leave it up to the sound system to make up for that. Of course there are accents on cymbal hits and such. If we get a dud sound man I guess there might be a problem. Usually the drums are pretty prominent, but that is up to whomever shows up to run sound (it's been a different person each time at this particular club). If we were hiring sound then perhaps I could have a bit more say in the final mix...but again it might just be the way it was recorded...or even the speakers you're listening on.

All I can say is that several people who were in the room said that the drums sounded really great. They were particularly impressed with the snare but several were wowed by the Psych Red finish and the sound of the toms and bass. There was at least one friend there that definitely would have told me if the bass drum hadn't been in the mix and he didn't mention it. So...I don't know. I do know the mic was working and the resulting sound sounded great in the two 15" speakers that I had as a monitor.
I also noticed the bass drum was low in the video mix. Tough to judge what the actual sound in the room was like, with this recording. If people said the drums sounded great, it was probably due to the fact that you weren't overplaying and chocking the drums. Nice playing, cool to see someone on a rock gig, not overdoing it...

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I also noticed the bass drum was low in the video mix. Tough to judge what the actual sound in the room was like, with this recording. If people said the drums sounded great, it was probably due to the fact that you weren't overplaying and chocking the drums. Nice playing, cool to see someone on a rock gig, not overdoing it...
Thanks!
At my age I can't really afford overdo it. at least not for very long. I used to get all amped up and play as hard as I could to try to get over top of the guitar amps but I gave up on that a long time ago and figure it's the sound guy's problem. If he does his job correctly then it doesn't really matter how loud I play so whatever gets the best sound out of the drums is my goal and hopefully his will be to make those sounds heard. That is why the Shure brothers (etc.) invented drum mics. I do not know the girl that did the sound at this gig, she's one of the club's seemingly endless bench of sound techs, but she did seem competent and the drums in the monitors sounded good (including the bass drum) so I suspect the room sound was fine. My guess is that the video guy rolls off the low end in order to insure he gets a usable recording. I wish the bass drum were more prominent in the video mixes but I have to admit that other than that it's a pretty sweet recording of the room sound for being from a zoom recorder sitting on a tripod on the edge of the dance floor.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Should be your own mixer ; )
and yes it's work
and yes it strenuous (playing the songs from when many of us were young men.
So there's a couple solutions.
1) give up the young man's (when we were young men) music
...that's my for sure overall solution
2) play like it's your last time (because it might just be.. ; )
...well, I got thru 6 gigs last year - still breathing lemme check

Last edited:

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Should be your own mixer ;)
Tried that on occasion. Still the ultimate mix is in the hands of whomever is doing FOH and it just means hauling around even more stuff and more time to set up, tear down, and try to get the sound right. I'm content to let the sound guy do it all, come what may. I do cringe a bit whenever I see someone clipping some cheap-azz no name mics on my drums and I think about my Sennheiser 421s that are sitting at home. In my previous band I would bring in my own mics to use whenever I deemed them to be better than what the sound company had to offer. Usually this wasn't a problem...and usually my mics were the better choice. I might start doing that again...but it is one more heavy case to haul, one more thing that could get stolen, one more thing to have to set up, and one more thing to tear down.

The one thing that does annoy me is when they fail to put up overheads or mic the Hi-Hat. A lot of my playing is cymbal oriented and I sometimes fear they will not be heard. But, at least in the case of this latest gig they seemed to come through just fine without any.

Reactions: JDA

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
What hurts me most is seeing 60 year old + drummers playing the songs from when they were 18 years old +.

Especially when that drummer is me.
I refuse rather choose not to do that. My band from 1971 is still around in very similar form as it was in 1971. They have a young drummer.

I branched off into another style of drumming.

bbunks

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Kevin,

I'm interested in what drums this replaced - what won't you be using as a result of having this one?

Sounds really great and I bet it's a blast to play!

Bill

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
What hurts me most is seeing 60 year old + drummers playing the songs from when they were 18 years old +.

Especially when that drummer is me.
I refuse rather choose not to do that. My band from 1971 is still around in very similar form as it was in 1971. They have a young drummer.

I branched off into another style of drumming.

I'm doing this for the fun of it more than anything...and perhaps justification for owning a LOT of drums. Actually most of these songs are from I was 7 or 8 years old. If I happen to make some money at it so much the better. I'm not really willing to play for free as getting paid validates what you are doing...but by the same token I'm not necessarily concerned with getting the money if it has to go towards sound rental or video production or whatever (that may change in light of current events...not that there are any gigs to get right now). I like this music and in this band I'm trying to not really listen to the original versions of the songs I don't know and come up with my own parts as if they were original tunes. Granted this doesn't mean a lot given my limited skill set.

Speaking of which, I'm still in a "jazz" trio as well. For if I want to get "creative"

Last edited:
Reactions: JDA

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Kevin,

I'm interested in what drums this replaced - what won't you be using as a result of having this one?

Sounds really great and I bet it's a blast to play!

Bill
That's a tough question to answer....I have a lot of snare drums (probably well over a hundred, I really don't know how many exactly....too many for sure). Most likely for a gig like this, pre-Duluth, I would have brought a Ludwig of some sort, probably a 6.5 in some metal, whether a 402, Black Beauty, copperphonic or Bronze. Most likely the bronze. Hopefully they haven't all been rendered obsolete by this new drum. I doubt I'll take the cast drum to any more jazz gigs as it's too easy to go from soft to way too loud in that context. I mean I could learn to control it but with so many other options at my disposal it gives me an excuse to bring the others out.