Dumpster Dive - Conga's

rpludwig

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Dump run tday with usual household trash, waiting for a guy ahead of me to unload a pickup of various stuff, old bicycles, lamps, tables, etc.
Out of the corner of my eye I see something green sparkle, with a Slingy badge in mid-air.....it was #2 of 2, WHOA I hollered, but too late, the dumpster was empty, save these two, which I fished out promptly with a garden rake....

2 - Slingy congas, Niles badge, both 12" heads, one Remo permatone, one original calf, wrap seams horrible and split wide open, lugs restorable, tension rods rusted.......I've restored worse and our jazz band plays a fair amount of latin stuff........hmmmmm, I see a considerable challenge ahead, thought I'd share it....more to follow...

IMG_0325.jpg IMG_0327.jpg IMG_0328.jpg IMG_0329.jpg IMG_0330.jpg IMG_0331.jpg IMG_0326.jpg

cwdrums

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice save. Get to work on those babies. Restoration pix to follow??
Coy

rpludwig

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Nice save. Get to work on those babies. Restoration pix to follow??
Coy
Perhaps, IF I can get the wrap off!! (hardware is off one, edges are salvageable with a bit of work, lugs are great, as Slingy chrome usually is)....

gkrk

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Shriners! Probably were the best market for congas with wrap finishes.

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
That will be a noble resto. Looks like they might take standard size drum heads, yes?

rpludwig

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Dad & Gramps were loyal Shriners, perhaps that, the Slingy badges and Green Sparkle drove me to save 'em....
Worked a bit with a hair dryer on the wrap, no go, gotta pick up a heat gun, the wrap is a bitch, full glued. Not my first rodeo with Slingys but this one is gonna be a challenge.

Edges are common Niles, 30* inner cut thru the re-rings but sharp outside cut, eze to do. Inner ply is maple, can't tell what the outer is, but clearly not mahogany. perhaps poplar?

Gonna take a head & rim off a Slingy 12" rack tom, see if they fit before I get in much deeper, I notice in another conga thread the heads are a different animal and quite spendy....

rpludwig

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
reboot.....this old thread tells the story on these:

likely not worth the effort, and best I can tell the outer ply is either soft poplar or MDF.....

kdgrissom

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Great story.
Now, how does one go about measuring and cutting wrap for a conical shape? Has that been talked about before?

kona1984

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Great story.
Now, how does one go about measuring and cutting wrap for a conical shape? Has that been talked about before?
I've not attempted conical wrap... but.... SheetMetal workers can cut that shape... they know the math.
Lots of YouTube video on Concentric Conical layout.

Last edited: