Dunnett floor tom legs and bass spurs

KillinBill66

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only snare strainer I've ever had completely fail on me was a Dunnett. Clunky + failed was not a good combination. Based on that, I tend to avoid their accessories.

INDe has been reliable for me.

mgdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The only snare strainer I've ever had completely fail on me was a Dunnett. Clunky + failed was not a good combination. Based on that, I tend to avoid their accessories.

INDe has been reliable for me.
Same here. Plus the Inde is lower profile, fits in a bag easier than the Dunnett.

cribbon

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Love that third pic. What are the sizes? One of my biggest regrets is seeing a Ming snare for sale on Cl, and not picking it up. Was going for $80, and sat on there for months. Finally sold. I'm such an idiot.
Mair (formerly Ming) will make anything you want. The bass drum is 15x22; the rack toms are short stacks - 5x10,12,14. I also have 7x10, 8x12 toms and 12x14 & 14x16 floor toms plus a Monolith 16x20 bass drum, so I mix and match a lot according to the venue and music. I use that particular set up most often when playing outdoors, especially near the water where it's usually windy. It also comes in handy when I have to set up on shakey risers. The rack gives me a tight footprint in addition to keeping everything in position and stable, and the short depths allow me to position them lower (and even across the rack), which makes for more ergonomic and easier playing.

2019-04-07-Michaels8thAve001.JPG

2020-07-17-Perrys020.JPG

kallen49

Reaction score
Does anyone have any opinions on the stainless steel Dunnett Floor Tom Legs and Bass Drum Spurs?
since you asked about spurs; (with no disrespect intended to any other opinions),
I own Dunnett gull wing spurs, the 12mm version, they are well made but very heavy and yes, very pointed, which is great for certain situations. They are length adjustable and get a 16" bass drum resonant hoop to the correct height for me.
Their weight adds stability and they won't break!

I also own DW "clamp on" spurs, much lighter but are not as long as the Dunnett can be so more limited, it depends on the size drum you need for. (and the clamps can make tuning the resonant head a bit tricky).

I just had Indesign aluminum spurs witth BR3 brackets installed on my 1969 Club Date 20" bass drum also an Inde light weight tom mount. I will post some pics eventually.
I think Josh Allen deserves all the accolades he gets on this forum. In my almost 50 years of fooling around with drums, selling drums, playing drums in bars, I have not heard of or seen hardware made by anyone that is more clever in design, especially lightweight designs, which happen to be what I want at this point.

My friend Paul Dickenson, a local "boutique" drum builder, agrees that Indesign parts are manufactured to a quality equal or better than any other parts and he has assembled many drums over the past 20 odd years.
He called Josh when installing my parts this week and Josh was happy to clarify the tom installation.

Josh Allen may run a one man company but seems to always have time for every potential customer.
If I was advising a young entrepreneur I'd say look at how that guy operates.

dale w miller

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Come on. Your choice of "worship" is the point. It's meant as a put down. Had you left off that sentence you wouldn't have put yourself in this position.
If that’s all but everything that’s recommended then it is a point of worship. It’s no different than going to the Pearl Drummers Forum and a thread about someone buying a Masterworks kit going on for 10 pages simply discussing its possible color choices. Yet some how there are other beautiful kits just as nice that can’t more than a page or two of interest. I can say Pearl is worshipped on that site just the same.

It works in a negative way just the same. If anyone even mentions any sort of positive comment on Ghostnote Forum about Dunnett, he/she is immediately attacked by other members acting like a pack of hyenas.

It’s just the way things are here on the internet.

A.TomicMorganic

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have Dunnett spurs on my Tempus kit. They are heavy. But they also perform quite nicely.
P.S. I have owned both Ming and Tempus drums, and find Tempus to be superior.

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm going to return to the original question. (What a novel idea.)

A buddy of mine has a floor tom that he felt was being choked by the factory mounts and legs. He loves the kit, but the that floor tom annoyed him. (For the record, it is a Gretsch USA kit that he bought new around twenty five years ago.) He considered selling the kit a few years back (to me), but came to his senses. Still, that floor tom annoyed him.

He tried "Booty Shakers", and they did the trick. The floor tom opened up, but they were a pain in the butt. And although they did the job, I'll just say that that they are not the most attractive solution.

About a year and a half ago he bought a set of the Dunnett legs. The tom sounds great and they look as good as they sound. I played the kit before and after, and it really makes a difference.

They are a little heavy, but it's one set of legs, not a big deal. At least not to me. (Your mileage may vary.) We all have different needs.

As for INDe, I have not tried their legs, but I've used their mounts and like them a lot. Their tom legs seem like a simple and lightweight solution. In my opinion the original poster got a couple of useful suggestions, with enough info to make his own choice. It's all good.

As for people praising an independent brand, I see nothing wrong with it. Although DFO is a good sized forum, it is still a relatively small community. It's great that we are able to share our opinions about products from both small independent and mainstream manufacturers. A good product is a good product. DFO is the modern equivalent of word of mouth advertising. Being able to share our product opinions to others in our (comparatively) small group might be able to help a small manufacturer sell a few more pieces. For the consumer who is looking for said product, it can be a wonderful thing to get opinions from real users. Call it a win-win.

Last edited:

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
This forum worships INDe for some reason. Don’t get me wrong, they look like they make nice stuff, but so do a lot of companies.

It seems to me every forum has a brand or two brands people praise on a regular basis. Here it’s INDe and vintage gear.
I totally get not liking what it seems like is a trend, but understanding where those people got their opinions would help you and @Old PIT Guy in this case.

Ming was a case of a great sounding snare drum popping up on eBay with a great price (around $100-125). Several people here on the forum still have them. It seems silly to base the validity of those drums based on whether or not you’ve “seen them in the wild” because that would seem to say you would only admit they are good if you see others using them — the same group think mentality that’s being denigrated here.

In the case of INDe, it’s important to know that Josh Allen was active on this forum when he was starting up, and a lot of people here not only went along for the ride, but probably feel a sense of ownership from being able to give him feedback about his products and see those suggestions put to use. His products are good, and I suggest you might want to try them before just dismissing them out of hand. Not that other companies don’t make good options, but what Josh makes is worth buying if you need it.

dale w miller

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I totally get not liking what it seems like is a trend, but understanding where those people got their opinions would help you and @Old PIT Guy in this case.

Ming was a case of a great sounding snare drum popping up on eBay with a great price (around $100-125). Several people here on the forum still have them. It seems silly to base the validity of those drums based on whether or not you’ve “seen them in the wild” because that would seem to say you would only admit they are good if you see others using them — the same group think mentality that’s being denigrated here.

In the case of INDe, it’s important to know that Josh Allen was active on this forum when he was starting up, and a lot of people here not only went along for the ride, but probably feel a sense of ownership from being able to give him feedback about his products and see those suggestions put to use. His products are good, and I suggest you might want to try them before just dismissing them out of hand. Not that other companies don’t make good options, but what Josh makes is worth buying if you need it.
When did I dismiss them? I just stated that this forum’s opinion should be taken for what it is.

Old PIT Guy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

I never used the term group-think. I posted the definition of 'hive mind' as a reply and I never indicated which accepted either/or I was referring to. On purpose!

Hive mind: A notional entity consisting of a large number of people who share their knowledge or opinions with one another, regarded as producing either uncritical conformity or collective intelligence.

If I'm reading other forums, as well as various pictures of artists in ads or reviews or on Youtube, and I never see a particular drum in use, I'm going to assume it's either inexpensive, which could indicate a bargain, or that something occurred on that one forum that caused a 'herd-driven' response that compelled an inordinate number of people, relative to other drum forums and/or musicians, into owning the product. That doesn't take away from the product or the people buying it. I don't know why you and Arguy are tilting at windmills on this.

Old PIT Guy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
When did I dismiss them? I just stated that this forum’s opinion should be taken for what it is.
I guess it's similar to how I'm engaging in 'group think' simply because I bring up how I never see Ming mentioned on other forums, in ads, or endorsed by anyone and when I search Google for Ming I get two links to the company followed by 385 posts on Drumforum.org!

And then when I go to Youtube and search I get a handful of Namm videos from 2013. That's not 'group think', that's ME think!

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I guess it's similar to how I'm engaging in 'group think' simply because I bring up how I never see Ming mentioned on other forums, in ads, or endorsed by anyone and when I search Google for Ming I get two links to the company followed by 385 posts on Drumforum.org!

And then when I go to Youtube and search I get a handful of Namm videos from 2013. That's not 'group think', that's ME think!
I didn’t say you’re engaging in group think, I said that the group think mentality is being put down. Now, I have no problem with that, but I simply think when a product is good and a number of people latch on, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with that. The converse is also true, that just because you don’t find a following here or elsewhere doesn’t mean that a product is bad. They are two sides of a group think coin if either of us leaps to those opinions. Feel how you want, I’m not upset at all. Just putting out a reasonable line of thinking.

Old PIT Guy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I didn’t say you’re engaging in group think
It seems silly to base the validity of those drums based on whether or not you’ve “seen them in the wild” because that would seem to say you would only admit they are good if you see others using them — the same group think mentality that’s being denigrated here.

lossforgain said:
I said that the group think mentality is being put down. Now, I have no problem with that, but I simply think when a product is good and a number of people latch on, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with that. The converse is also true, that just because you don’t find a following here or elsewhere doesn’t mean that a product is bad. They are two sides of a group think coin if either of us leaps to those opinions. Feel how you want, I’m not upset at all. Just putting out a reasonable line of thinking.
Whew .. this is more to unpack than it deserves!

This entire exchange illustrates a classic defensive trigger reaction. Please go back to the OP where he writes that he’s not familiar with Inde. Dale replies with his opinion that forums tend to have a couple of brands members praise regularly. The choice of “worship” was perhaps unfortunate, but it isn’t necessarily inaccurate.

Then I post the dictionary definition of Hive Mind, totally accurate and not a put-down, which causes ARGuy to go on the offensive while diverging onto the quality of Inde which was, and still is, unquestioned. Then I bring up an example of Hive Mind and use the phrase herd driven to describe what happened during the Ming dynasty. Again, totally accurate.

This is followed by more defense and offense, most notably in your post where the whole thing is turned around to me being influenced by Group Think, and that I’m being silly along with an implication that I’m commenting on Ming’s quality when I. said. not. one. single. word. about. quality anywhere in this thread. This is all true; I don’t deal in alternative facts.

What is unquestionably silly is the level of denial that Hive Mind or Group Think or Herd mentality doesn’t exist here re: GAS when the bulk of the site’s content revolves around buying, flipping and selling brandnames, as if that content doesn’t influence other members.

I mean seriously, you constantly post in the numerous Deal sections for Amazon, Guitar Center, Craigslist, ebay … you honestly don’t think people buy those items based on your influence? You don’t think the add-on posts in the For Sale section where guys come in to bump other members’ threads with “great seller”, “why is this still here?”, “Great deal, folks” - you don’t think those posts influence people’s decisions? Then why do it?

And so obviously, Ming caught fire and became a Marketer's dream because one member after another bought one and then joined back in the Ming conversation in a recursive GAS attack.

You and ARGuy are taking words that are accurately describing a completely transparent and obvious process and internalizing that as an insult and then becoming defensive about it when I framed nothing I wrote insultingly or wrote anything about quality. I would humbly suggest looking into why that was the reaction before turning it all around on people stating the obvious.

cribbon

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have Dunnett spurs on my Tempus kit. They are heavy. But they also perform quite nicely.
I have had several Tempus kits, both fg and cf/fg blend over the years, and still have a f/g kit - I'm a big fan. I also like Ming's cf drums.

robthedrummer

Reaction score
I'm going to return to the original question. (What a novel idea.)

A buddy of mine has a floor tom that he felt was being choked by the factory mounts and legs. He loves the kit, but the that floor tom annoyed him. (For the record, it is a Gretsch USA kit that he bought new around twenty five years ago.) He considered selling the kit a few years back (to me), but came to his senses. Still, that floor tom annoyed him.

He tried "Booty Shakers", and they did the trick. The floor tom opened up, but they were a pain in the butt. And although they did the job, I'll just say that that they are not the most attractive solution.

About a year and a half ago he bought a set of the Dunnett legs. The tom sounds great and they look as good as they sound. I played the kit before and after, and it really makes a difference.

They are a little heavy, but it's one set of legs, not a big deal. At least not to me. (Your mileage may vary.) We all have different needs.

As for INDe, I have not tried their legs, but I've used their mounts and like them a lot. Their tom legs seem like a simple and lightweight solution. In my opinion the original poster got a couple of useful suggestions, with enough info to make his own choice. It's all good.

As for people praising an independent brand, I see nothing wrong with it. Although DFO is a good sized forum, it is still a relatively small community. It's great that we are able to share our opinions about products from both small independent and mainstream manufacturers. A good product is a good product. DFO is the modern equivalent of word of mouth advertising. Being able to share our product opinions to others in our (comparatively) small group might be able to help a small manufacturer sell a few more pieces. For the consumer who is looking for said product, it can be a wonderful thing to get opinions from real users. Call it a win-win.
It may not be the legs or the mount choking the floor tom. Try Pearl's rubber feet with the hole in them. They are awesome. I use them on my old Ludwig floor tom with almost too much success.

robthedrummer

Reaction score
I will never own anything Dunnett, ever again. Clunky heavy hardware. I've had two snares over the years. One was a wood shell that was not round and had bubbles in the finish, and a bronze shell that was also not round.

Gotdrums

3rd most viewed drummer online
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm going to buy two sets of Indie' alum. floor legs because I need new legs. I was there for all the Ming talk and I didn't buy one. I love what Indie' is doing with drums. I didn't buy a Indie' kit. Why, because I make my own mind on what I do. You can too.

Old PIT Guy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Agreed. You’re not seeing my point or understanding the mindset it’s coming from. So I’m not interested in arguing. Carry on.
It's not an argument, it's a simple misunderstanding. You think I'm being critical of people who bought Ming drums and that it's based on the quality of those drums, something of which I have absolutely no idea about, or that I'm simply being critical of people who buy a lot of things. When actually, all I did was reply to Dale to with my opinion on how brands of things can attain a level of popularity within a closed ecosystem having a desire to purchase things, and how that can be out of kilter with a desire to purchase those same things in the open market, or 'in the wild'.