Durability of Gloss Lacquer vs Matte Lacquer (on Canopus Yaiba, and generally)

stick2it

Reaction score
Ready to purchase a Canopus Yaiba Bop kit, but not sure on finish: high-gloss lacquer (red sparkle) or matte lacquer (Wine Red or Antique Ebony) finish.

Some say that high-gloss drum finishes are susceptible to crazing or cracking if the drums are frequently moved between cold (winter outdoors) and warm (heated indoor) conditions (e.g., in NY). Has any DFOers had this problem with Yaiba high-gloss lacquer finishes?

As for Canopus matte finishes, I've noticed that the exterior wood ply is not A+ stain grade so that shells are uneven or blotchy. Perhaps Antique Ebony matte (essentially black) best hides such inconsistencies. I'm told Wine Red finish (a matte finish but not named "Antique" by Canopus) is more consistent. For matte finishes, there is also its vulnerability to dinging in regular use. Can anyone with matte-finish Yaibas share their judgement on these finishes?

I prefer the high-gloss lacquer red sparkle for its vintage look and evenness of finish but I don't want a lot of crazing or cracking. Over many years, I've occasionally gigged a high-gloss lacquer (natural - no stain color) Sonor Select Force 3007 Maple Jungle kit, and the shells look show-room new. No problems.

Please help me make an informed decision. Thanks.

Last edited:

tarocco

Reaction score
I have a red sparkle Yaiba bop kit and the finish is the best I've ever seen on a drum. The gloss coat finish is extremely strong and I've had no issues with scratches or crazing. I don't have experience moving the drums between temperature extremes, but based on the quality of the finish I wouldn't expect any issues.

btw - I'm not using this kit as much these days so I'm thinking of selling. PM me if you're interested in a used set with snare in near mint condition.

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of my local shops got in a red sparkle lacquer finish Yaiba 2 kit with cracked lacquer . Canopus replaced it on warranty .

stick2it

Reaction score
Thanks fellow DFOers for your input. And I agree with Tornado: "Matt Lacquer" would be a cool stage name.

In the end, I ordered a Canopus Yaiba (3pc) in Dark Wine Red matte to avoid the possibility of crazing and cracking of the high-gloss (Red Sparkle) lacquer as I move about in NY winter weather. Canopus probably does a great job with high-gloss lacquer, but I'm not going to risk it in freeze-thaw, dry-humid NY. I also asked Canopus to mount the tom bracket directly to the shell (no RIMs).

KillinBill66

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just curious, as I am also considering a purchase... Who are you ordering from? Does Canopus do direct orders?

stick2it

Reaction score
I'm in the NE USA. I ordered from Boston Drum Center (speak to Sean -- please mention my name--Keith). Sean will check stock at Canopus (Japan), and if Canopus has what you want in stock, you complete the purchase with Sean and Canopus will ship to your house directly, customs paid.

In Canada, the Drum Hang is a Canopus dealer (contact owner Murat, a very active and knowledgeable DFO member).

There are numerous other Canopus dealers in N. America -- check the Canopus website if you haven't already.

Yes, you can also purchase directly through Canopus through its online store; but the price is the same as going through a local dealer, and the local drum shop loses out on making a sale which helps keep it running!

bjisteve

Reaction score
Whatever Canopus product you order, you can be assured it's top quality and that if there are any issues, Canops will deal fairly with you. They are great people and totally committed to what they do.