Dusty Hill - RIP

Jay-Dee

Reaction score
It's sad, we're getting older and so are many of the people we grew up admiring, RIP.

What It Is

Very well Known Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like what Billy and Frank mentioned in their statement about Dusty:

"We, along with legions of ZZ Top fans around the world, will miss your steadfast presence, your good nature and enduring commitment to providing that monumental bottom to the 'Top'."

Amen, brother. RIP DH and watch out for the beer drinkers and hell raisers on your next gig.

langmick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Saw them a couple of years ago, Frank chain smokes through all songs, no idea how...but they all kicked majorly. It was a blast.

First time hearing this in my buddy Jim's basement, floored me. Had to try to learn it. What a great band, they did it all right, vision, playing, vibe, hits, recording chops, touring.

MrDrums2112

"Normal" Drummer
Reaction score
I've seen them several times through the years, and they were always entertaining, always very good, and always the 3 coolest dudes on the planet. They had the best shtick in the biz and it worked for them for decades. RIP Dusty Hill - thanks for all the great music.

Houndog

DFO Master
Reaction score
Saw them a couple of years ago, Frank chain smokes through all songs, no idea how...but they all kicked majorly. It was a blast.

First time hearing this in my buddy Jim's basement, floored me. Had to try to learn it. What a great band, they did it all right, vision, playing, vibe, hits, recording chops, touring.

Man , I had forgotten all about that song !
Thank you

Tarkus

Reaction score
I saw them a few times live. Also liked their newer stuff.

RIP Dusty Hill and thank you for everything.

The best power trio in the world stopped existing now...

We played this song (Thunderbird) in a cover band for years. Towards the end of concerts, this was a real blast (and lot of fun). But to start concerts with this song (in this tempo) is just crazy.

Last edited:

Sprice

Reaction score
It's sad, we're getting older and so are many of the people we grew up admiring, RIP.
Exactly. Growing up my parents were always bummed talking about some actor or musician dying but it was never anyone I knew. Now I'm starting to get it, especially the ones that are younger than me.

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
RIP , thanks for the music and memories Mr Dusty

bellbrass

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
This news caught me off guard - I feel so bad for Dusty's family. I know 72 ain't young, but I just thought the Top would keep on truckin'....they were a band I kept meaning to see, but never did. I regret that now, terribly.
I have always been a fan of their music, growing from a casual fan to a serious fan over the years. Dusty and Rube were as solid a rhythm section as I've ever heard. One of the reasons Billy sounds so good is that rock-solid beat underneath.
"When I listen to La Grange, so do my neighbors...." :cool:

My big brother saw them a few times, and told me about one show that blew the roof off the place - this was back in the 70s - here's his story:

"So, it was early on during their tour to support 'Tres Hombres' at Louisville Gardens. It was the largest venue they had played at that point. The Marshall Tucker Band opened and were just great. Then, nothing. After an hour, the crowd was getting restless, and they announced it would be a bit longer, but the band were on their way. Heard some boos. They finally showed up, almost 2 hours late - in T-shirts, blue jeans cowboy boots, and hats - they looked like they had just serviced someone's Camaro. Gibbons growls into the microphone, 'Aw, geez everybody, we are so sorry we are late...(cheers from crowd)…but we sure as s#!t are going to make it up to y'all!' The crowd went nuts, and they whipped into 'Just Got Paid'. They proceeded to play 2 straight hours of intense, exciting music. We thought Marshall Tucker were so good that ZZ Top might have trouble as a headliner. It was no contest."

RIP, sir.

Last edited:

fusseltier

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
maybe that's why Billy Gibbons released a solo album

DanC

"Get in, sit down, shut up, hold on"
Reaction score
Somewhere in Florida, behind a Rogers kit
I've been a fan since the beginning. Saw them live 3 times, some of the best shows I have ever seen. I've been a blues drummer for a long time, and it came from listening to them since my early twenties.

Did you know that Dusty was a big Elvis fan?

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
Dusty shouldn't have agreed to this tour, in fact he shouldn't have been onstage at all.
This is his onstage entrance to the first show on July 16th and my God he can barely walk!
Did they actually realize his super frail condition? It boggles the mind they'd begin a tour this way!

Jay-Dee

Reaction score
Dusty shouldn't have agreed to this tour, in fact he shouldn't have been onstage at all.
This is his onstage entrance to the first show on July 16th and my God he can barely walk!
Did they actually realize his super frail condition? It boggles the mind they'd begin a tour this way!
Why? Other than the crappy phone recording it sounded fine. He obviously just wanted to keep playing for as long as he possibly could and good on him.

Sure it's sad to see that he wasn't too mobile. But if he knew his time was getting short and just wanted to hang in and do what he loves, I fully support him as long as it's not a complete train wreck for people who have paid big money for tickets.

And assuming they started the tour knowing his health was poor, it's reasonable to expect they'd have a contingency plan in place if he couldn't get through it.