Dusty Springfield VS Buddy Rich | The Feud of 1966

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanC

"Get in, sit down, shut up, hold on"
Reaction score
Somewhere in Florida, behind a Rogers kit
Buddy was a very complicated man. Most geniuses are.

To blow him off as "a jerk" without knowing his life and all of his idiosyncrasies really isn't fair. Do a deep dive into the man, his upbringing and life, and you might have a better understanding of him.

I disagree. This is a public person who had been in front of people all of his life. Having the life and experieinces he had as a public person, you would expect that he would have better manners, especially when on television and not in private. His behavior was rude, and no amount of insight into his past will change that for me.

By the way, the bus tape doesn't bother me. He was paying them , it was in private, he was the boss.

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I disagree. This is a public person who had been in front of people all of his life. Having the life and experieinces he had as a public person, you would expect that he would have better manners, especially when on television and not in private. His behavior was rude, and no amount of insight into his past will change that for me.

By the way, the bus tape doesn't bother me. He was paying them , it was in private, he was the boss.
At that point, I believe Buddy was feeling the pressure of singlehandedly keeping big band swing music alive. He was losing money at it and the walls of other genres were closing in. He was the last of the swing breed and he defended it till the very end. He never gave into bop, country or rock and I think he made derogatory comments in an attempt to defend his way of life. If it wasn't for Buddy's vehement defence of swing, it would have died much sooner than it did. So for that, I think we can be thankful for his doggedness and determination.

But agreed, that interview was regrettable.

Status
Not open for further replies.