DW 2003 Collector's Maple 4.5 x 14

GiveMeYourSmallestSticks!

Reaction score
Posting this thread because I've been on the hunt for a new snare drum (I have a 70's Acrolite already). I love my acro, but am looking for something that will give me more crispness and articulation. This drum is for sale in my neck of the woods, just hoping to get some thoughts/feedback about it as I know next to nothing about it. Is this a good deal? Could I expect more crisp articulation from this drum than my acro?

Thanks in advance!

cornelius

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this drum will be more crisp or articulate than an Acro. This one is a six ply, which will have a rounder tone vs. DW's 10 ply model.

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Honestly, "crispness and articulation" are more a result of head selection, tuning, and snare wire settings than anything else - all things being equal. There is a difference between wood-shelled and metal-shelled drums when it comes to sound, but that's about as big a generalization as I'd be comfortable to make, simply because there are so many variables involved in each type, along with (again) the tuning abilities of the owner.

That being said, when I think of "crispness and articulation" (and my individual interpretation of what those words mean), I think of metal-shelled drums. With that in mind (along with all the other provisos already mentioned - whew!), I suspect that you might actually see a decrease of these qualities by going with that particular snare.

Have you tried the obvious mods to your Acrolite to achieve what you are looking for? I'm talking a coated Diplomat or Ambassador batter head, a clear Diplomat snare-side head, and bright-sounding snares. If you fit these items to the Acrolite, avoid over-tightening the resonant Diplomat (very important - ignore those table-top-tight recommendations as they kill snare response), and properly fit the snare wires (tension them just above rattle/buzz territory), you should be able to obtain exactly the sound you seek from the Acrolite.

On the other hand, if you have a case of GAS and simply want to experiment and seek the sound you're after, by all means buy a metal snare. I wanted to do the same thing a couple of years ago and decided to try my first 13" metal snare. I bought a COS Ludwig 7(?)X13" Supralite and was amazed by how crisp and nice it sounds. It doesn't at all approach the sound of a piccolo-type drum, but is full and rich and responsive. I'm not trying to drive you in that direction, it's just what I've done recently, and this little drum certainly fits my idea of "crisp and articulate." I wasn't expecting that.

GeeDeeEmm

GiveMeYourSmallestSticks!

Reaction score
Honestly, "crispness and articulation" are more a result of head selection, tuning, and snare wire settings than anything else - all things being equal. There is a difference between wood-shelled and metal-shelled drums when it comes to sound, but that's about as big a generalization as I'd be comfortable to make, simply because there are so many variables involved in each type, along with (again) the tuning abilities of the owner.

That being said, when I think of "crispness and articulation" (and my individual interpretation of what those words mean), I think of metal-shelled drums. With that in mind (along with all the other provisos already mentioned - whew!), I suspect that you might actually see a decrease of these qualities by going with that particular snare.

Have you tried the obvious mods to your Acrolite to achieve what you are looking for? I'm talking a coated Diplomat or Ambassador batter head, a clear Diplomat snare-side head, and bright-sounding snares. If you fit these items to the Acrolite, avoid over-tightening the resonant Diplomat (very important - ignore those table-top-tight recommendations as they kill snare response), and properly fit the snare wires (tension them just above rattle/buzz territory), you should be able to obtain exactly the sound you seek from the Acrolite.

On the other hand, if you have a case of GAS and simply want to experiment and seek the sound you're after, by all means buy a metal snare. I wanted to do the same thing a couple of years ago and decided to try my first 13" metal snare. I bought a COS Ludwig 7(?)X13" Supralite and was amazed by how crisp and nice it sounds. It doesn't at all approach the sound of a piccolo-type drum, but is full and rich and responsive. I'm not trying to drive you in that direction, it's just what I've done recently, and this little drum certainly fits my idea of "crisp and articulate." I wasn't expecting that.

GeeDeeEmm
Already have diplomats on my acro, and have them tuned and dialed in the way you suggest. I replaced the snare wires with 40 strand pure sounds too. I love the acro for what it is, but just find that the ludalloy has a certain "bonk" to it. It gives the drum body, but to my ears detracts a little from the sensitivity and crispness I can achieve. Folks here have already suggested brass drums for added articulation, but I just stumbled across this drum and wondered if it would be an interesting alternative (and a good deal).

Oh, and I have GAS...bad.