DW 23" bass drum

Tomb

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

tnsquint

Backline Rental Guru
Reaction score
I think the idea came when Neal Pratt was saying he liked the sound of a 24" and the response of a 22" drum if I recall correctly.

mkelley

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
mfryed2112 said:
Think about the 15 inch floor tom for a few and it makes perfect sense!
I like and play 13 and 15 inch toms. I don't know why a 21" or 23" bass (or 17" toms) would be considered odd. It's about your sound.

boonky

Reaction score
I think 23" bass is a great idea. An 11" tom sounds different than 10" or 12". Pre international sizes sound different also. Same with metric sized drums. My 18 1/2" (closest equivalent) metric bass drums sound real good. Remo will make heads for any size and shape including Trixon elliptical, Deri or Migirian oval, Carlton octagon, et. al.

mpthomson

Reaction score
I always thought that, in common with many DW innovations, (anyone remember the adjustable resonance floor tom leg?) a 23" bass drum was a solution desperately in search of a problem. Don't have an issue with the quality of DW stuff, by the way.

That DW appear to have sold basically none of them, or at best a very small number, tends to support this view.

And that's said as someone who owns a 15x17" deep Sonor Phonic floor tom....

Markkuliini

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
boonky said:
I think 23" bass is a great idea. An 11" tom sounds different than 10" or 12". Pre international sizes sound different also. Same with metric sized drums. My 18 1/2" (closest equivalent) metric bass drums sound real good. Remo will make heads for any size and shape including Trixon elliptical, Deri or Migirian oval, Carlton octagon, et. al.
+1

ducodonny

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Was a joke years ago and still a joke. I feel for the guys that did or do have a 23 bass drum. I think Remo and only remo made pinstripe and PS3 in that size.