Dw 3P buttplate adjustments too drastic?

Markkuliini

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hi guys!

Anybody else feel that the new Dw's 3P buttplate changes the adjustment too drastically, when switching from one setting to another?

I absolutely love the idea, but I like to keep my normal setting (or the middle setting) slightly on the loose side anyways, and I feel that when I switch to the loosest setting, the snares go way too loose and rattly.
I'm just ordering a 13x6,5 Edge (YAY!) and asked my dealer to give these regards to Dw, and if any of you guys feel the same way, I can tell the dealer to mention about it.

I'm hoping that Dw would start to do another version of the buttplate as an option. But I think that needs something more than just one local endorser to whine about it. :D

And I read somewhere (was it here?) that someone had done some adjusting by himself. But I think it was to make the adjustments even more drastic. In any case, I'm pretty sure that this second eon would only require one part to be little different shaped etc.

M

Matt Middleton

The MAG throw is great, but I'm not a fan of the adjustable butt plate. I've never been able to get them set to a point where I liked the response from all 3 settings, so to me it's useless. In general, I find that most people who use multi-position strainer systems rarely, if ever, use more than one setting.

Markkuliini

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Matt Middleton said:
The MAG throw is great, but I'm not a fan of the adjustable butt plate. I've never been able to get them set to a point where I liked the response from all 3 settings, so to me it's useless. In general, I find that most people who use multi-position strainer systems rarely, if ever, use more than one setting.
I would actually need he function 3P provides on one particular gig that I do. There are couple of slower songs that would benefit greatly on wider snare sound. But I use inears, and the crowd is usually really loud between songs, so it's sometime difficult to adjust the snares between the songs without actually hitting the snare hard. And the pauses between the songs are short. So, if only 3P's setting would not be se drastic, I would use it all the time. And I would actually need just 2 position, but fairly close together.

dwdave

Groovinator
Reaction score
Markkuliini said:
I would actually need he function 3P provides on one particular gig that I do. There are couple of slower songs that would benefit greatly on wider snare sound. But I use inears, and the crowd is usually really loud between songs, so it's sometime difficult to adjust the snares between the songs without actually hitting the snare hard. And the pauses between the songs are short. So, if only 3P's setting would not be se drastic, I would use it all the time. And I would actually need just 2 position, but fairly close together.
i have 2 drums with the 3p. i agree with you, the 2 outer setting should have LESS effect than they do. This could be done by replacing the current stickshift with one that offers a little less change. I have found that it works better with some tunings/drums than others. I have one on my Crav and it's tuned up just a bit and it's working OK. i would like to see a 5P butt as the replacement with the top and bottom settings where they are now. essentially just adding one more step in between.

Go getem! and enjoy that Edge Snare!!

cornelius

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
For me it's always been a 2P plate - I can only get two good tensions out of it at one time. It'd be great if there was a way to tweak the loose and tight settings closer.

Markkuliini

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies so far! And also if you feel that the 3P is fine as it is, please tell that too. That way I'll get a honest picture.

dexplosion

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I don't really use it much on my snares.

When I do though, it's to go tighter, as I generally prefer my wires sort of loose by default.
The loose position is then nearly off.

Slippy

a.k.a "slow feet"
Reaction score
i added the 3 butt plate to my side snare its a 10" DW. i really dig in on the small snare lot of options with the 3 but adjustment. As far as tha magetic throw goes its the best throw even i think.

musiqman

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
i have 2 drums with the 3p. i agree with you, the 2 outer setting should have LESS effect than they do. This could be done by replacing the current stickshift with one that offers a little less change. I have found that it works better with some tunings/drums than others. I have one on my Crav and it's tuned up just a bit and it's working OK. i would like to see a 5P butt as the replacement with the top and bottom settings where they are now. essentially just adding one more step in between.

Go getem! and enjoy that Edge Snare!!
DWSM2160 is the 5p. Just released

backtodrum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I looked at one with interest thinking that I might put one on a snare and then I thought really, when was the last time you changed your snare setting at all? I can't remember the last time I changed a snare setting or played a tune with the snares off for that matter. I think they are great for someone that plays music that requires the changes but as for me it's just one more thing to mess with that has the potential to create problems between songs. I think its a cool idea though...

Markkuliini

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I looked at one with interest thinking that I might put one on a snare and then I thought really, when was the last time you changed your snare setting at all? I can't remember the last time I changed a snare setting or played a tune with the snares off for that matter. I think they are great for someone that plays music that requires the changes but as for me it's just one more thing to mess with that has the potential to create problems between songs. I think its a cool idea though...
I change mine all the time, is really tempo and also volume dependent.

Funny that you brought it up today, I was just editing a video lesson 10 minutes ago, and on the lesson
I'm comparing the same groove with 3 different snare tightness. It's quite substantial how much that adjustment effects the groove.
In this case I wanted to get a fat sound but with low volume. It was quite narrow area where the snares felt loose enough so that the backbeats felt wide, but not too loose to create too much after buzz.

backtodrum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I change mine all the time, is really tempo and also volume dependent.

Funny that you brought it up today, I was just editing a video lesson 10 minutes ago, and on the lesson
I'm comparing the same groove with 3 different snare tightness. It's quite substantial how much that adjustment effects the groove.
In this case I wanted to get a fat sound but with low volume. It was quite narrow area where the snares felt loose enough so that the backbeats felt wide, but not too loose to create too much after buzz.
You now bring up a thought worth considering that I hadn't thought about. Usually when we are playing live we jump from song to song with no real time for adjusting anything in a gig situation. We don't want to lose the energy and dancers on the floor. Recording would be a different environment for tinkering. But if you could achieve a different sound with the flip of a lever perhaps it would be worth the time and effort to install one, provided it was the perfect adjustment needed.

Markkuliini

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
You now bring up a thought worth considering that I hadn't thought about. Usually when we are playing live we jump from song to song with no real time for adjusting anything in a gig situation. We don't want to lose the energy and dancers on the floor. Recording would be a different environment for tinkering. But if you could achieve a different sound with the flip of a lever perhaps it would be worth the time and effort to install one, provided it was the perfect adjustment needed.
It's not that difficult to adjust the tension even with a traditional strainer, just as long it's well maintained, not too stiff etc. And I mean adjusting while playing, between back beats. Or just playing with the right hand and adjusting with the left.
It takes little bit of practice but once you get comfortable with it, you can do those small adjustments really quickly.

Superbeetle

Reaction score
I recently bought a 14x6.5 collectors snare with the 3P butt plate. I agree completely with the original post. I’m ready for the multi position strainer and floor tom/snare “fad” to be over.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I keep the few I have in the middle and tune accordingly. Rarely do I move it to tight unless I need a bit of muffling. Pretty much never move it to loose. Love the Mag throw, but I prefer the fIxed DW butt.

dtk

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like it as is but it would be cool if you could dial in your 3 points.

I put one on a Marching snare...I think it may serve the different styles we do (marches, 2nd line etc) well...

noreastbob

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The three position is indeed too far spread in range. When I put the middle selection where I generally like it (pretty tight short crack) the tighter setting is choked. It has a nice bif when struck with some force but grace notes and gentle taps sound more like a tom. The loose setting isn't totally too loose but close.
For $29.99 I'll grab a 5 position and maybe it'll have some actual usefulness.