DW 6000 hi hat stand "wobble" solution

karlcrafton

Reaction score
I looked for the thread that was regarding this issue but couldn't find it.
I've had a 6000 hat stand for a long while, and unless I played fairly lightly, it would wobble quite a bit. I mainly had it sitting because it wobbled.
Seems others have had this happen as well.
A few weeks ago, I got one of the flat base Tama Classic hat stands, and it is VERY stable, and yet had shorter legs than the DW, and both have the same type of pull system...

Then I looked at the FEET of the DW and the design they have.

The FEET on the legs are why the dang thing wobbled like it did. The small extra bit where the screw down spikes makes it unstable. Even when I took the spikes out.

I changed the DW feet out with some Ludwig ATLAS hi hat feet (single, low version) I had, and NOW the DW 6000 stand is stable!!

komodobob

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I looked for the thread that was regarding this issue but couldn't find it.
I've had a 6000 hat stand for a long while, and unless I played fairly lightly, it would wobble quite a bit. I mainly had it sitting because it wobbled.
Seems others have had this happen as well.
A few weeks ago, I got one of the flat base Tama Classic hat stands, and it is VERY stable, and yet had shorter legs than the DW, and both have the same type of pull system...

Then I looked at the FEET of the DW and the design they have.

The FEET on the legs are why the dang thing wobbled like it did. The small extra bit where the screw down spikes makes it unstable. Even when I took the spikes out.

I changed the DW feet out with some Ludwig ATLAS hi hat feet (single, low version) I had, and NOW the DW 6000 stand is stable!!
I know of someone else that did that and had the same results.

karlcrafton

Reaction score
I know of someone else that did that and had the same results.
Cool, glad it wasn't just me then.
It's a really nice stand besides the rubber foot function.

A semi-minor inconvenience to fix, but I may try it with that little extra section cut off too. No loss in trying, because I wouldn't use them anyway now.
If THAT works, a good suggestion for anyone asking w/issues.

I mean, it is a $160+ stand, and the Tama Classic is only $99 and feels and works GREAT, but sometimes the hardware matching OCD gets the better of us ...when we are sitting at home ...and not playing gigs...:(:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Mendozart

Jenkins-Martin rep
Reaction score
Hey Karl,

Can you post up-close pics of the two different feet? Thanks!

Greg

karlcrafton

Reaction score
Hey Karl,

Can you post up-close pics of the two different feet? Thanks!

Greg
The Ludwig foot is an Atlas Aculite One Position foot. PLH1113
s-l400.jpg Screen Shot 2020-10-26 at 8.52.32 AM.png
With the DW foot, I did cut the piece where the screw down spike is (quite easily too), however, the Ludwig foot is longer than the DW, so it's likely more stable.

I'm trying to find more available Ludwig feet on eBay and Amazon, but it seems out of stock right now. I got the extras back in 2018.
The lower position on the regular TWO position foot is the same spot, but the top sticks up, which may or may not be an issue for someone.

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The Ludwig foot is an Atlas Aculite One Position foot. PLH1113
View attachment 466920 View attachment 466921
With the DW foot, I did cut the piece where the screw down spike is (quite easily too), however, the Ludwig foot is longer than the DW, so it's likely more stable.

I'm trying to find more available Ludwig feet on eBay and Amazon, but it seems out of stock right now. I got the extras back in 2018.
The lower position on the regular TWO position foot is the same spot, but the top sticks up, which may or may not be an issue for someone.
Because of your post, I ordered a set from DCP yesterday. I guess it was the last available set, for the moment.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine is stable. My problem is the mechanism broke but DW shipped me out a new stand. I agree the rubber leg thingies with the screws are odd.

karlcrafton

Reaction score
Because of your post, I ordered a set from DCP yesterday. I guess it was the last available set, for the moment.
Oh cool, you got some.
Yeah, I looked at all the different sources I got stuff like that from, and it must be a supply issue for parts like that right now ("covid").
I used them on the DW, and a set on the Tama Classic I have. The Tama were "fine", but the Aculite feet are definitely and upgrade for more grip on the rug.

I'll need a couple more sets again when available for the Ludwig hat stands I am not using ATM.

squidart

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm going to try your bigger feet solution on my Tama classic. If it's not on a perfectly level surface the frame section bottoms out and it's jiggly as all get out. Been making me crazy since it feels and responds so nicely otherwise.