header.nohb.html

DW 9000 Pedal-chain drive or belt drive?

RyanLovesDrums

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My friend just got one of these DW 9000 pedals and I see that it comes with a belt drive that you can substitute for the chain drive. What do you guys think? Should I just leave the chain drive on there.?

bpaluzzi

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The strap drive on the 9000 is garbage, IMO. I've tried 3 different ones, and they've all failed at the hole where they attach.

hsosdrum

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Belts stretch and break.* Chains can't stretch and very rarely break. Stick with the chain. That's what I have on both my DW 9000s and I love the way they feel.

*I used nothing but leather and then nylon straps from 1965 until I got my first chain-drive DW 5000s in 1990. I'll never go back to belt drive.

Last edited:

varatrodder

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love the feel of strap drives, but I really don’t like the DW nylon strap. I think ACD makes a Kevlar strap for DW.

Last edited:

doubleroll

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Went from speed king to DW chain drive and never looked back…until I got a Trick Pro1-V. Still use a DW 5002 or 9002 with chain drive for gigging mostly. Never really a fan of strap drives…

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I use straps on my DW 5000s and much prefer them to chains (this has more to do with the cam vs. the gear than the actual strap or chain). With this in mind I switched my 9000 over to the strap but in that case I preferred the feel with the chain. I imagine this was because the cam wasn't changed.

Overall I prefer my 5000 pedals over the 9000, which seems sluggish in comparison..

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use straps on my DW 5000s and much prefer them to chains (this has more to do with the cam vs. the gear than the actual strap or chain). With this in mind I switched my 9000 over to the strap but in that case I preferred the feel with the chain. I imagine this was because the cam wasn't changed.

Overall I prefer my 5000 pedals over the 9000, which seems sluggish in comparison..
I found the 9000s sluggish as well , I was in a music store awhile back and a kit had a 9000 on it . I was truly shocked at how light and effortless it felt ……WTF ???

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I found the 9000s sluggish as well , I was in a music store awhile back and a kit had a 9000 on it . I was truly shocked at how light and effortless it felt ……WTF ???
Yeah, I sbould dig mine out and fiddle with it more. Some people rave about them but I didn't feel it was better than my 5000s with the strap drive ( I have 3 of those).

I like simplicity, I prefer my old Gretsch Floating Action pedal best of all but use the DWs as they are the modern evolution of that pedal (parts will still interchange between the two) with additional benefits such as the base plate and beefier construction. The 9000 looks like it should be the "ultimate" which is why I bought one, but the added mass and more complex adjustments seem to counteract that...at least for me. Whatever works for whomever is fine by me...but changing my 9000 to a strap seemed to be a step backwards...again, just in my instance, your results may vary.

Last edited:

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

I found the 9000s sluggish as well , I was in a music store awhile back and a kit had a 9000 on it . I was truly shocked at how light and effortless it felt ……WTF

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a 5000 strap drive I really liked ….
Unfortunately , I was relieved of it ….

RyanLovesDrums

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yeah, I sbould dig mine out and fiddle with it more. Some people rave about them but I didn't feel it was better than my 5000s with the strap drive ( I have 3 of those).

I like simplicity, I prefer my old Gretsch Floating Action pedal best of all but use the DWs as they are the modern evolution of that pedal (parts will still interchange between the two) with additional benefits such as the base plate and beefier construction. The 9000 looks like it should be the "ultimate" which is why I bought one, but the added mass and more complex adjustments seem to counteract that...at least for me. Whatever works for whomever is fine by me...but changing my 9000 to a strap seemed to be a step backwards...again, just in my instance, your results may vary.
Can you put straps on 5000 pedals that are a little older? I have the double chain 5000 double pedal. Curious if it straps would make it better(or different).

noreastbob

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The 9000s are adjustable almost to the point of insanity! When I first got my 9002s I could hardly play them after previous decades on speed Kings and Swivo-matics. I fiddled...and fiddled...and fiddled some more. I was kinda lost till I dug out my Swivos and found how loose the spring tension was. I emulated the tension and the stroke, length and weight of the beater and.......OMFG! They are so by far the best I've played. I can do stuff at 71 on them I could never do before. Whether feathery or facial impact mode.

RyanLovesDrums

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The 9000s are adjustable almost to the point of insanity! When I first got my 9002s I could hardly play them after previous decades on speed Kings and Swivo-matics. I fiddled...and fiddled...and fiddled some more. I was kinda lost till I dug out my Swivos and found how loose the spring tension was. I emulated the tension and the stroke, length and weight of the beater and.......OMFG! They are so by far the best I've played. I can do stuff at 71 on them I could never do before. Whether feathery or facial impact mode.
These days I’ve been playing my pedals with the spring tension almost to the loosest.