header.nohb.html

DW 9000 Pedal-chain drive or belt drive?

covinasurf

Reaction score
Chain. Don’t find it sluggish at all. Now the Tama at out practice room

JH

cplueard

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I like strap a lot. I've been running the straps that came with mine 4+ years with no issues. I run the light LowBoy beaters at a loose tension and I've never played anything smoother in my life. Fantastic amount of throw and power for very little effort and the pedalboard moves with my feet so naturally you'd think I had vecro keep it to my shoes.

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like strap a lot. I've been running the straps that came with mine 4+ years with no issues. I run the light LowBoy beaters at a loose tension and I've never played anything smoother in my life. Fantastic amount of throw and power for very little effort and the pedalboard moves with my feet so naturally you'd think I had vecro keep it to my shoes.
What pedal are you using ??

dsop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The straps that come with the 9000 seem really flimsy, with no reinforcement around the hole that the screw goes through. Many people claim that they work great and last, but I just didn't trust it.

bpaluzzi

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The straps that come with the 9000 seem really flimsy, with no reinforcement around the hole that the screw goes through. Many people claim that they work great and last, but I just didn't trust it.
Yup, as mentioned, I tore through three of them (after 1-2 gigs each). I am using a HEAVY beater (fully extended big DW felt w/ two DW beater weights all the way up), but have used that same beater on other strap pedals without an issue (Tama Iron Cobra with the kevlar strap, and an old Pearl pedal with the big round cam and the dark green fiber/plastic strap)

mzd

Reaction score
Can you put straps on 5000 pedals that are a little older? I have the double chain 5000 double pedal. Curious if it straps would make it better(or different).
Yes. This post by @dontfeartheringo explains the process very clearly.

cplueard

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
What pedal are you using ??
9002 XF. I play heel up but stay pretty level with my feet similar to Gene Hoglan's style (
) rather than bearing down with the front of my feet. Only big difference is I don't let the beater touch the head when I'm not making a stoke. I rest my heel on the heelplate and keep the beater about .5"-1" from the head instead.

Edit: Shoulda known that would show as a video rather than a link and make the formatting weird.

K.O.

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can you put straps on 5000 pedals that are a little older? I have the double chain 5000 double pedal. Curious if it straps would make it better(or different).
You can but you have to change the cam on the pedal so you either need to order one from DW or get one off an old Camco/Gretsch floating action pedal.

I bought my initial strap drive in that format from the factory but have replaced the chain drive on two others I bought used. In both tbose cases I bought cheap vintage non-functional Gretsch FA pedals and used the cams off those for the mod.

I bought 50' of 3/4" wide nylon strap and make my own pedal straps.

hawker

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
You can but you have to change the cam on the pedal so you either need to order one from DW or get one off an old Camco/Gretsch floating action pedal.

I bought my initial strap drive in that format from the factory but have replaced the chain drive on two others I bought used. In both tbose cases I bought cheap vintage non-functional Gretsch FA pedals and used the cams off those for the mod.

I bought 50' of 3/4" wide nylon strap and make my own pedal straps.

Did you mean to say 50 feet...feet! I've used the same Nylon strap for almost twenty years. Mind if I hit you up for a piece when this one fails?

K.O.

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you mean to say 50 feet...feet! I've used the same Nylon strap for almost twenty years. Mind if I hit you up for a piece when this one fails?
Yeah, 50 feet of safety orange nylon web. I bought it on ebay for like $8. I'm set for pedal straps for life. I haven't broken one yet.

I also bought 100 meters of snare cord (nylon blind cord) since it was only $10 for the spool. I think that'll last me.

Getting back to the pedals... in the case of Tama/Camco pedals I prefer the chain drive. I have one that is the same pedal but with a strap and it doesn't feel nearly as good as the chain ones. Weird.

The thing with the 9000 is you use the same cam with either a chain or a strap. Maybe if it had a different cam for the strap it would make a difference. To me it seems as though it was 100% designed with the chain in mind and then they threw in a strap as an afterthought and an additional marketing point (chain or strap....you choose).

hsosdrum

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, 50 feet of safety orange nylon web. I bought it on ebay for like $8. I'm set for pedal straps for life. I haven't broken one yet.

I also bought 100 meters of snare cord (nylon blind cord) since it was only $10 for the spool. I think that'll last me.

Getting back to the pedals... in the case of Tama/Camco pedals I prefer the chain drive. I have one that is the same pedal but with a strap and it doesn't feel nearly as good as the chain ones. Weird.

The thing with the 9000 is you use the same cam with either a chain or a strap. Maybe if it had a different cam for the strap it would make a difference. To me it seems as though it was 100% designed with the chain in mind and then they threw in a strap as an afterthought and an additional marketing point (chain or strap....you choose).
In the mid-1970s (before chain drive was invented) I switched my Tempo-King and Camco pedals from leather straps to nylon straps. Although the nylon straps never catastrophically failed during a performance the way leather did, they did stretch around the attachment holes, which eventually caused the footboards to come in contact with the hoop clamps. So they required periodic replacement.

Chains rule!

TonyVazquez

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think 9000s feel nice either with chain or belt...but why oh why would anyone place the spring on the inside of the base casting ? My foot touches it !
Can Toe Stops be installed on the 9K?
If yes, that might help to keep your foot
away from the base casting.

Oh, DON'T take my advice.
Sometimes I drum with Work Boots on!

TonyVazquez

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Back on Topic.
CHAIN for the win.

I've tried belts in the past. I cannot play
while worried in the back of my mind
that the belt (or belts, for dblkick pedals)
might suddenly break during a show.
Besides that, I'm more of a power player;
so I definitely NEED either chain drive
or direct-drive to handle my stomps.

Belts are better suited for light Jazz
drummers, and drummers of soft
Folk or Americana music.

John DeChristopher

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
My first professional pedal was a Gretsch Floating Action in 1974, which of course was a Camco pedal. I tried a Speed King and others after that but always came back to my Gretsch.

I moved to an original DW 5000 chain drive in 1980 and used it until about 1987, then switched back to the nylon strap version. I was working at DW at the time and I remember noticing a significant difference in how much smoother the strap was over the chain.

I gave the chain another try a few years ago with a DW 9000 and couldn’t make friends with it. Too heavy for my weak foot I suppose. I tried the 9000 with the strap and it felt better, but still not good. Now I’m full circle with a bunch of vintage Gretsch Floating Action pedals.

The chain gives you more throw, which equals more power with less effort, but in my experience the strap is smoother and faster. Terry Bozzio would agree ;)

Strap drive. Final answer.

Vintage Old School

Reaction score
I purchased a DW9000 in the 90's shortly after they were released. To be sure it was the best pedal I've played to date, but no matter how hard I tried to like it, it just didn't feel right to me. It felt sluggish to me. That's not a slight in any way on the design or quality of the DW9000 chain drive pedal whatsoever. It was just a personal issue of "feel." Money being tight in those days I played it for about 10 years until I sold my kit. I'm glad I bought it and tried it, but it just wasn't for me.

In 2007 I purchased my current kit and I began a search for a new pedal. I heard from another drummer who had a friend working at the DW factory who could play any pedal he wanted in their line up and his pedal of choice was a USA DW5000 strap drive. As fate would have it a Like New
DW5000 strap drive (early 90's USA model) turned up on Reverb three days later. A bass guitarist had purchased it new for his home studio and it had only been used twice and placed in storage. I rolled the dice and snagged it.

Best. Pedal. Ever. So incredibly smooth and fast out of the gate. Even faster after installing a Canopus Speed Star Bearing. I have tried other pedal brands/models since then for comparison, but the DW5000 Strap is my pedal for life.

The concerns of a strap breaking on a gig can easily be dealt with. First, inspect and change the strap on a regular basis. Don't wait for it to fail. Second, always bring a back up pedal with you. Always. If things do go south it's a quick swap out.