header.nohb.html

DW 9000 pedal

Esotericdrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Has anyone else felt like their dw 9000 pedal is just sluggish? I’ve had my 9000 for 14 years and I go back and forth on how much I like it.

I have tried adjusting the spring tension, cam settings, you name it and for some reason it just always feels sluggish and too heavy to respond quickly.

I get used to it but then when I jump on someone’s else’s kit I find my feet to be way more responsive, quick and accurate. I’ve noticed this with dw5000 pedals and Iron Cobras that seem to blow my 9000 out of the water.

I think it may be time for me to move on from this 9000.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

NobleCooleyNut

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just don’t get on with DW pedals , I don’t like the feel of them . I prefer lighter feeling pedals like the Sonor Perfect Balance or Axis Direct drives . DW pedals feel very heavy to me .

drummingbulldog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've felt for a long time that DW stuff is overengineered. I have felt the same way. I like the IC and the 5000 better. I have not tried the direct drive pedal so I can't comment on it.

pjmariner

Reaction score
I agree, pedal feels heavy and has a lot of hardware between the adjustable cam, 2 chains, etc.

I have an older single chain dw5000 accelerator, with original narrow footboard, and much simpler albeit less adjustable cam/beater holder. It also has the original rollerbearing footboard I prefer over newer bearing hinges.

DW is selling single chain 5000 with accelerator or turbo cam, and original narrower footboard again. U can find them Amazon, sweetwater etc. I appreciate simpler/lighter action.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s why I moved on to Tama Speed Cobras and a Dyna-Sync direct.

sixplymaple

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has anyone else felt like their dw 9000 pedal is just sluggish? I’ve had my 9000 for 14 years and I go back and forth on how much I like it.

I have tried adjusting the spring tension, cam settings, you name it and for some reason it just always feels sluggish and too heavy to respond quickly.

I get used to it but then when I jump on someone’s else’s kit I find my feet to be way more responsive, quick and accurate. I’ve noticed this with dw5000 pedals and Iron Cobras that seem to blow my 9000 out of the water.

I think it may be time for me to move on from this 9000.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!
I had the exact same issue with my 16 year old double pedal. I took my 9002 completly apart and replaced all of the bearings. Then I replaced the linkage with the upgraded heavy duty DW linkage. Now it‘s legit smoother than my Trick pedal.

A couple of the bearings were in really bad shape, but I couldn’t tell until I took them out…

Luckily all the 9000 bearings are listed by part # in their diagrams and can be ordered quite easily.

Last edited:

telejojo

Reaction score
I have the 5000 turbo and tried the 9000 but sent it back, not there was anything wrong with it but was no better than the 5000.

Last edited:

Esotericdrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yeah at the time I knew no better, I opted out of a high school graduation ring for a dw 9000 from my parents graduating Highschool.

And I’ve played many a good shows with it.

Jumped on a buddies kit last week and realized how huge of a difference there is in our bass drum pedals, and have noticed that in the past.

It’s kind of confirmed now I need to move on. I’ve never been able to dial this pedal in.

pjmariner

Reaction score
In the end its all personal preference. I have played on house kits with various pedals, and I prefer chain drive over direct, but its most likely because that's what I am used to and sort of perfected my own technique on. Axis style pedals for instance have a totally different feedback then chain drive. Not better or worse, but different enough I struggle to get used to it. When I was playing out alot, if we were not changing out kits between bands I always brought my own stool, pedal and snare. Of those 3, if I could only choose one it would be the pedal.

Esotericdrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
In the end its all personal preference. I have played on house kits with various pedals, and I prefer chain drive over direct, but its most likely because that's what I am used to and sort of perfected my own technique on. Axis style pedals for instance have a totally different feedback then chain drive. Not better or worse, but different enough I struggle to get used to it. When I was playing out alot, if we were not changing out kits between bands I always brought my own stool, pedal and snare. Of those 3, if I could only choose one it would be the pedal.
Same if I’m using a house kit, snare throne and pedal are the first. Along with maybe switching the ride to a personal work horse

LauraCai

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I agree, pedal feels heavy and has a lot of hardware between the adjustable cam, 2 chains, etc.

I have an older single chain dw5000 accelerator, with original narrow footboard, and much simpler albeit less adjustable cam/beater holder. It also has the original rollerbearing footboard I prefer over newer bearing hinges.

DW is selling single chain 5000 with accelerator or turbo cam, and original narrower footboard again. U can find them Amazon, sweetwater etc. I appreciate simpler/lighter action.

Me as well. Big fan of the single chain 5000. Find it much faster, especially with the Accelerator cam, than the 9000.

bpaluzzi

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I started playing a 9000 when I was playing a 26" kick 100% of the time. Was using the biggest DW felt beater with two of the DW beater weights pushed up as high as they could go. That pedal killed for that set up. The only issue I had with it was that the aluminum baseplate got bent on tour (the cheap bag that DW provides is absolutely useless). Took the whole thing apart and managed to straighten the plate out with some pliers and patience :) I still use it when I'm playing a 24" or a wide-open 22", but it's too much pedal for muffled drums / smaller drums, IMO.

cashmanbashman

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use the Tama Iron Cobra beaters in my 9000 and it fixed it for me. I just did the same with the Dyna Sync I just got and same result. Smoother, faster, less effort etc..

Jml

Reaction score
I tried the 5000 and 9000 DWs and returned them. I ended up with two direct drive pedals - Axis Sabre and the new Ludwig Speed King.

hsosdrum

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been using a pair of DW 9000's since 2013 and for me they are without a doubt the most natural-feeling pedals I have ever played. The 9000's are the closest thing I've ever felt to having no pedals at all; like the beaters are somehow connected directly to my feet and I'm playing my bass drums the same as I play the other drums in my kit. I've never felt anything like that kind of direct connection with any other pedal. (I've previously owned: DW 5000, Rogers Swiv-o-Matic, '60s-era Camco & Slingerland Tempo-King.)

Pedals are the most personal pieces of gear we have. If you don't feel comfortable on your pedal you should find one that you do feel comfortable on, it's as simple as that. For example, lots of people like the Axis pedal while I never ever felt comfortable using one. In fact, in nearly 60 years of drumming I've never met a direct-drive pedal that I liked (and that goes all the way back to '60s-era Ludwig Squeak Speed Kings). As someone else said above, to each their own.