DW badge question

Bonzoghost

Reaction score
Gents

I've essentially just bought a DW kit circa 2002/3.

I'm told it's a "Collectors" kit, although the badge (on the top tom at least) does not say "Collectors Series" as I thought it would.

Here's a pic:

That's a genuine DW badge from that era, right? :?

When did they start using badges with "Collectors Series" like this:

If the first pic isn't a "Collectors", then what is it?

Any info greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

Bongo Congo

DFO Master
Reaction score
Bonzoghost, they switched to the Gold/Silver badge the week after your's were made. Just kidding. DW's started coming out in early 2004 with the new "embossed" badge (or maybe late 2003). Now they've switched yet again, to aluminum this time. But they're all Collector's Series, no need for concern on that point. The earliest Black-and-Chrome badges, then the Black-and-Brass, then this Black-and-Satin-Chrome, none of them said "Collector's Series" on them, but they all are.

DrumBob

DFO Master
Reaction score
Bongo Congo said:
Bonzoghost, they switched to the Gold/Silver badge the week after your's were made. Just kidding. DW's started coming out in early 2004 with the new "embossed" badge (or maybe late 2003). Now they've switched yet again, to aluminum this time. But they're all Collector's Series, no need for concern on that point. The earliest Black-and-Chrome badges, then the Black-and-Brass, then this Black-and-Satin-Chrome, none of them said "Collector's Series" on them, but they all are.
Exactly right. My new set has the brushed brass/black badge that says Collector's Series. The big difference I see is there's a rubber grommet underneath, whereas before, there wasn't.

Sonorlite

Forgive him for he knows not what he does.
Reaction score
Late info Jon, but - as was said above... I have a 96 catalogue with the Black badge and a 2004 catalogue showing the Pat/Timbre Matching badge. :)

drumklaus

Reaction score
bonzoghost, i have a dw collector's series snare (unfortunately no pic at this moment) that has the same badge as your new kit. i bought it back in 2002 or 2003. as far as i can remember it says "collector's series" on a "badge" around the vent hole.

Rich K.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Question for an English major...

Wouldn't "Collectors' Series" be more correct, as the drums are made for collectors, not one collector?

Bonzoghost

Reaction score
I've driven over 400 miles today to pick that kit up. It's truely gorgeous, and I'm shattered. :(

The drums are all date stamped 2002 and they have only been played once. Yes ONCE. It's in pristine condition and I'm a very happy man. :occasion5:

Thanks for your input guys. Looking forward to my next gig!!

RickC

Reaction score
I ordered my DW kit on 11/14/03 and picked it up on 12/9/03. The drums have the "collector's series" badge.

bbunks

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have a 2002 DW Exotic kit that DOES NOT have "Collectors Series" on the badge. I ordered an additional floor tom in 2007 and the badge does have "Collectors Series" on it.

My guess: Collectors were the only series DW was making around 2002, so no need to specify it on the badge since that's the only series they offered (the "other" one at that time was the Drum Workshop drums that predated Pacific, and their badges all read "Drum Workshop" and had different lugs, etc). I think the Classic Series came out in 2003 (?), and the Jazz series within the last 2 years so now there's a reason to be specific on the badges.

Latest posts