miracle419

Reaction score
I got a limited DW Collector's Cast Aluminum 6.5x14 Snare a couple years back and this thing is not like any other aluminum I've ever used. It's a 3MM shell full of air pockets, as is normal with cast metals. The problem is, even though it rings like a bell in the room, it records incredible dry. I've tried half a dozen different mics, and several different heads and I just don't like what I'm hearing. It likes to be tuned in the mid range.
I've tried G1 and G2 coated with both a 300 and 500 snare side, UV1, UV2 both with 300 snare side. I currently have an EC Reverse Dot with 300 snare side and that's the closest I've got to getting a little body out of it. I don't like Remo's coatings or I'd try those. They tend to flatten out and wear away pretty quickly.

Does anyone have any experience with these snares that can provide a little insight as to what these beasts like to be dressed in for a fuller sound?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• dw cast.jpeg
    dw cast.jpeg
    55.1 KB · Views: 21

Glassman

Reaction score
Those smarter than me will likely chime in as well. First, I have tried them so many times, but I do not like Evans on snare drums. Toms and bass drums all sound great. I can put an Evans setup like a G1 coated over a 300 snare side on a favorite snare and it sounds dead and dry to me. I am meticulous about tuning and particular about my sound. I go back to a coated Ambassador over an Ambassador Hazy and the sound is back where I want it.

miracle419

Reaction score
Those smarter than me will likely chime in as well. First, I have tried them so many times, but I do not like Evans on snare drums. Toms and bass drums all sound great. I can put an Evans setup like a G1 coated over a 300 snare side on a favorite snare and it sounds dead and dry to me. I am meticulous about tuning and particular about my sound. I go back to a coated Ambassador over an Ambassador Hazy and the sound is back where I want it.
I guess maybe it's time to consider a move to Remo. It's the coatings that keep me away. They just don't hold up like Evans in my experience.

Glassman

Reaction score
I don't ever play brushes anymore which is a shame. The Evans UV1 would be a great product for that. As for the Remo coating, I have not paid too much attention. During the time the UV1 was being developed and introduced I purchased a bunch of new Remo coated ambassadors for a kit and the coating started flaking off immediately. I complained to Remo and they sent me replacement heads...that did the same thing within days. I suspect they were messing with their coating in response to the UV1 but that is just a guess. Since then I have purchased plenty of other coated Ambassadors for snare drums and have not had any issues. I have one on a snare that I have been playing for a couple months. The center is smooth but not gone. I am not a heavy hitter and I typically replace heads due to age as I can hardly recall ever breaking one.

KQED

Reaction score
What is it that youre not liking about the sound?
Is it the dry-ness, or the lack of body (or both)?

Both of those things combined makes me think the snare side head could be tensioned too high.

miracle419

Reaction score
What is it that youre not liking about the sound?
Is it the dry-ness, or the lack of body (or both)?

Both of those things combined makes me think the snare side head could be tensioned too high.
It's really ringy in a room, but no mic picks that up. The body just dies. I've tried multiple mics in every position imaginable; every head tension from floppy to table top. I'm just thinking this is a better live than recording snare.

Buffalo_drummer

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's really ringy in a room, but no mic picks that up. The body just dies. I've tried multiple mics in every position imaginable; every head tension from floppy to table top. I'm just thinking this is a better live than recording snare.
Did you try mic'ing the shell itself in conjunction with a top/bottom?

1653312563818.png

Reaction score
I used the 14x5, and 10x,5 of that snare in my former set-up and never had a problem with it, and it's a dry room where they were used.

I used an SAT dry on the 14'' and a G1 coated on the 10'' both over a 300 reso.

KQED

Reaction score
Thats really strange. If theres one thing that thick, cast drums tend to have alot of, its body.
You've obviously tried a number of heads that should produce good results and at a range of tensions.
If tuning the bottom head lower doesnt help, then perhaps the drum just isnt suited to that particular room, or its a dud?

cashmanbashman

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have tried lots of heads on my DW snares and I always come back to this one. For some reason I like the Remo model that doesn’t have the DW on it even though I think they are exactly the same? It just seems to fit DW snares perfectly in my opinion.

2296CA86-2E7D-4B6C-82F7-BC032D7D9042.jpeg
C81E41BA-B03F-4E90-8772-02C0AA48995C.jpeg

Ptrick

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have a ton of cast shells, including aluminum. Body is what they tend to have at all tunings compared to a thinner shell.

Do you have a drum dial or tunebot? I can give you some tunings to try.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
How many strands are your wires? Go for the 42 for sure! And I do prefer Remo - coated amb. over clear snare side. Possible a coated G1 will work on top, too. But I've had both Aquarian and Evans snare sides and they all sound awful compared to Remo's Amb. clear snare side......

miracle419

Reaction score
I have a ton of cast shells, including aluminum. Body is what they tend to have at all tunings compared to a thinner shell.

Do you have a drum dial or tunebot? I can give you some tunings to try.
I've been a student of drum tuning for 30 years. I trust my ears. I've tried low, medium, high, and just about everything in between. It sounds great in the room, just not through a microphone.

miracle419

Reaction score
How many strands are your wires? Go for the 42 for sure! And I do prefer Remo - coated amb. over clear snare side. Possible a coated G1 will work on top, too. But I've had both Aquarian and Evans snare sides and they all sound awful compared to Remo's Amb. clear snare side......
I hadn't considered the wires. But I don't know how that would effect recording.

Ptrick

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've been a student of drum tuning for 30 years. I trust my ears. I've tried low, medium, high, and just about everything in between. It sounds great in the room, just not through a microphone.
May just be the nature of that drum. As I said, I have a lot of cast shells in different materials. My cast aluminum Ultracast is definitely the driest of them all, as is the nature of aluminum. May just not be your cup of tea. I have noticed with most cast shells, when recorded, the overtones tend to disappear more than other snares (which makes them desirable for a lot of people when recording). Some peoples ears just gravitate to a different sound, and there is nothing wrong with that.