DW Collectors Jazz

Drumguy2

Reaction score
Hi all,

First and foremost, I hope that everyone is doing well and keeping safe. I recently had the opportunity to purchase the kit shown in the picture. Prior to this , I really didn’t know much about this series. I would love to hear people’s thoughts on this series? What types of heads, genre of music, tuning range, etc? My kit is a 12 14 18 and 5x14 matching snare. Thanks everyone.
60C12EE5-8F15-46D5-8612-E0E4BD7DC741.jpeg
CD4B8AAD-F54D-4BFA-8E8E-1E64AFBDBB90.jpeg
20160920-F49D-4015-9C9F-F3BDCF94C8D4.jpeg

TGStan

Reaction score
Great looking kit.

I have an early Jazz Series (20/10/12/14/16) kit which I love. I find it to be VERY versatile. It can be as jazzy as any modern Gretsch, as dumpy as any old Ludwig, or something distinctly in between, yet with tons of character. It records great as well.

I usually have mine set up with coated ambassadors.

cornelius

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Great looking kit! I think the Jazz Series drums are great, very versatile. I use Evans coated G2s/clear G1s and an EQ 4 Frosted on the bass drum. My kit has the die-cast hoops so might sound a little different than yours. They sound great tensioned up or down.

DW 2.JPG
DW 4.JPG

musiqman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Love the Jazz series. Both drum heroes of mine Steve Distanislao (David Gilmour) and Satnam Ramgotra (Hans Zimmer) use these as they are so versatile.

seungkeeya

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I got Jazz Series Cherry/Gum natural satin finish. Bought as 12/14/16/22 set and ordered 8/10 matching finish (I sent 12" tom to DW factory). They look stunning and sound beautiful.

Check out Youtube where Thomas Lang did an amazing comparison on all Jazz series shells (Maple/Gum, Cherry/Gum, Mahogany/Gum) with John Good. John's explanation is very instructional and his passion for drums is just joy to watch. Plus, amazing performance by Lang.

Very, very versatile. I wish I could add 18" or 20" matching kick later...

*edit: Lang/Good video was demonstration on all kinds of DW's shells, not just Jazz series. Sorry about that. But it does mention Gum shells and characteristics of Jazz Series, though). John Robinson and John Good covers solely on Jazz Series, but I find Lang's video much joyful to watch cause there are just more drums and notes :p

Last edited:

cashmanbashman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
There junk, send them to me and I will get rid of them thus saving you the hassle. I can take any cymbals etc to my basement ( I mean the dump) for you to. No need to thank me I do it for community wellness.

Matched Gripper

Reaction score
Hi all,

First and foremost, I hope that everyone is doing well and keeping safe. I recently had the opportunity to purchase the kit shown in the picture. Prior to this , I really didn’t know much about this series. I would love to hear people’s thoughts on this series? What types of heads, genre of music, tuning range, etc? My kit is a 12 14 18 and 5x14 matching snare. Thanks everyone. View attachment 451232 View attachment 451233 View attachment 451234
Gorgeous kit! I love the sound of DW drums. I'm generally not a fan of the hardware, but, your kit is an exception.

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I owned a DW Jazz series ( original maple/gum) in an 18/12/14 config In Champagne glass glitter . The drums sound very much like Gretsch USA Customs . The ply layup is different between the two brands . I have owned 6 Gretsch kits ( all Stop sign ) and found the difference between the Gretsch and the DW Jazz to be negligible .
The build quality is excellent on the DW Jazz could not say that for the Gretsch kits I previously owned .

Comparing the DW Jazz and the Sonor Vintage is an apples vs oranges comparison. They are very different . The Sonor Vintage is more resonant and has more bottom end . One major similarity between the two is they can both be tuned up pretty high without choking . The Sonor IMHO is built better than the DW Jazz series but on my by a slight margin

Last edited:

audiochurch

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You know...I am not a DW guy, but the kits posted here really, really, really give me great reasons to become a DW guy. ARGH!!!

Redbeard77

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've only had the chance to play a snare from this series, but it was the closest sounding drum to a Gretsch as I've found.

bbunks

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If I ever were to buy another kit, it would be a gum/cherry Jazz series. DW's manufacture quality is excellent, the finish choices are amazing and these are wonderfully versatile drums. Congrats on your new drums. Now stop reading the forum and go make some noise!

jaymandude

Reaction score
I owned a DW Jazz series ( original maple/gum) in an 18/12/14 config In Champagne glass glitter . The drums sound very much like Gretsch USA Customs . The ply layup is different between the two brands . I have owned 6 Gretsch kits ( all Stop sign ) and found the difference between the Gretsch and the DW Jazz to be negligible .
The build quality is excellent on the DW Jazz could not say that for the Gretsch kits I previously owned .

Comparing the DW Jazz and the Sonor Vintage is an apples vs oranges comparison. They are very different . The Sonor Vintage is more resonant and has more bottom end . One major similarity between the two is they can both be tuned up pretty high without choking . The Sonor IMHO is built better than the DW Jazz series but on my by a slight margin
Interesting... What are you basing " built better" on ? Wrap ? Smoothness of tension rods ? Chrome plating ? I had reasons for choosing Broadcasters, I didn't think the Sonor's were more resonant. Thuddier maybe.

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Interesting... What are you basing " built better" on ? Wrap ? Smoothness of tension rods ? Chrome plating ? I had reasons for choosing Broadcasters, I didn't think the Sonor's were more resonant. Thuddier maybe.
I am basing my comment on things that I considered better on the Sonor kit . The plating was nicer on the Sonor kit , I preferred the hoops on the Sonor kit , I preferred the tunesafe feature on the Sonor that locks in the tuning. the fact that it uses normal threaded tension rods means that if ai lose one or break one it can be easily replaced at pretty much any drum shop and not have to be special ordered . The tension rods on the Sonor turned smoother in the Sonor lugs . The bearing edges on the Sonor kit are smoother . There is no nap when running your finger along the bearing edges on either direction .
The diecast hoops on the DW focussed the sound more than that if the Sonor Vintage series . My Sonor VI rage series kit is definitely more resonant to my ear than my former DW Jazz kit . Not by a huge margin mind you , but noticeable . Resonance is something that some drummers like and some don’t. I prefer drums that are full,warm and resonant sounding . I can always tame resonance but cannot add it if it isn’t there in the first place .

jaymandude

Reaction score
I am basing my comment on things that I considered better on the Sonor kit . The plating was nicer on the Sonor kit , I preferred the hoops on the Sonor kit , I preferred the tunesafe feature on the Sonor that locks in the tuning. the fact that it uses normal threaded tension rods means that if ai lose one or break one it can be easily replaced at pretty much any drum shop and not have to be special ordered . The tension rods on the Sonor turned smoother in the Sonor lugs . The bearing edges on the Sonor kit are smoother . There is no nap when running your finger along the bearing edges on either direction .
The diecast hoops on the DW focussed the sound more than that if the Sonor Vintage series . My Sonor VI rage series kit is definitely more resonant to my ear than my former DW Jazz kit . Not by a huge margin mind you , but noticeable . Resonance is something that some drummers like and some don’t. I prefer drums that are full,warm and resonant sounding . I can always tame resonance but cannot add it if it isn’t there in the first place .
Cool.. I probably would have gone with the Sonor but I can't do gull wing spurs.

zenghost

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've owned a couple DW Jazz kits - nice drums. DW has great customer service and is obviously capable of building a great drum, but doesn't always get there.

I've owned Sonor, including the Vintage series. Sonor is obviously capable of building a great drum, but doesn't always get there.

So, that aside, I'd side with DW Jazz drums being more versatile (and resonant) as the Sonor Vintage Series drums have a decent tuning range, but more specific, more narrow tonality - woodier, drier, constrained (even, yes, thuddier perhaps - the unwrapped drums may be just a tad more open). The Vintage Series does a certain "thing" well and if you like that "thing" enough - they're for you. DW makes a decent shell, typically not as precisely as German Sonor, gives you more options and bolts more metal to it - it can still sound nice though.

RobbiefromAtlanta

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
C735AF3E-AC93-4DD9-9722-469191E74CE9.jpeg
57C6D10E-A152-46AB-8998-485229A1F048.jpeg

I’ve had my kit since 2008. I play it with my jazzy funky band. It’s tuned up pretty high except for the kick which is on the lower side. This hasn’t been getting the love lately cuz I play a lot of rock with my other bands and the Crystal Beats and Oriollo kits get that work.