DW Collector's Series Exotic Dragonwood

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hey guys.

Just picked up a DW Collector's Series Exotic Dragonwood 24" bass and 16" floor tom.

These things look awesome. pulling the heads revealed an interior just as nice as the exterior.

Bought them and immediately went to jam with the guys. Playing just a bass drum and floor tom is not something I do but honestly the simplicity was nice and it went a little more smoothly than I expected. These things have quite a bit of volume. I had taken the bass drum heads off to look at the bearing edges when buying them and threw the heads back on quickly due to heading to practice and I wasn't completely happy with how the bass sounded but I was expecting that with not having time to dial it in. The batter head is a coated Remo Emperor, I think, and the resonant is the DW head with the tiny holes around the perimeter. Anyone have one of these and have a suggestion for the bass batter head? Maybe an Evans Emad?

The floor tom sounded great with an Evan's coated G2. It had a clear resonant.

I'm hoping find a matching tom but that may take a look while.

MillerMav

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I would throw either a Aquarian SK1, Evans EMAD or Remo PS3 on that bass drum. It will tighten up the sound a bit and really make it shine.

jtpaistegeist

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My DW bass drum does not play well with SK1 or SKII, sounds like all mids and no punch. The best heads I have used for that kick are Evans Emad 2 (controlled), and Gmad (max volume).

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
My DW bass drum does not play well with SK1 or SKII, sounds like all mids and no punch. The best heads I have used for that kick are Evans Emad 2 (controlled), and Gmad (max volume).
I find it interesting that the SK1 and SK2 don't work well on some drums. They mostly don't work for me, for some reason.

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Those are beautiful drums!

I'm thinking that you can forget finding a used ride Tom in that finish. Time to start saving a TON of dough to simply order up a new one while it's possible to do so. That one is going to hurt.

GeeDeeEmm

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Those are beautiful drums!

I'm thinking that you can forget finding a used ride Tom in that finish. Time to start saving a TON of dough to simply order up a new one while it's possible to do so. That one is going to hurt.

GeeDeeEmm
The hurting is what I'm afraid of!

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
What size tom would you guys get? 13"

If so, would you go with a slightly shallower depth for potentially better placement over the 24" or stick with the standard 13X9"

musiqman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Since you have all the options available they didn't have when 13x9 was the fashion

I would go 13x8 myself. Not 13x7 as it is maple and not a lower timbre/more sustaining wood like Maple Mahogany (that can handle shallower depths a bit more).

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Since you have all the options available they didn't have when 13x9 was the fashion

I would go 13x8 myself. Not 13x7 as it is maple and not a lower timbre/more sustaining wood like Maple Mahogany (that can handle shallower depths a bit more).
Listening to the Sweetwater video of this set, Nick said the inner plies are maple, the outer plies are mahogany and there is a paduak veneer. I like the idea of a shallower tom.

Latest posts