DW Collectors vs. Ludwig Legacy

cymbalcleaner

Reaction score
Hello to all,
i have a DW collectors maple BD 16" x 20", ambassador heads on both sides, no hole in front head, deep tuning, little damping with dw pillow. The drum sounds perfect for me. Deep, Fat with enough power. As i say, for me it is my perfect bass drum for funky blues rock ect.....
But, i think i would like to have a 3 ply set. So, if i decide for the 3 ply, i have to sell my dw.
Now my question: Do you think a ludwig legacy maple bass drum 16" x 20", same heads, tuning, damping, no hole, sounds as good to me as the dw??? Deep, Fat, Power......
Thanks and greetings from germany

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Ludwig 3 ply Legacy drums absolutely rule. I have several kits in my arsenal and they are amongst my favorites.

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Now my question: Do you think a ludwig legacy maple bass drum 16" x 20", same heads, tuning, damping, no hole, sounds as good to me as the dw??? Deep, Fat, Power......
No.
You have precisely designed “your sound” in your head. It would be a huge mistake to let that go for the sound in another’s head.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
If you possibly can, buy the Legacy kit before selling your DW’s. When you’ve got them dialed in, only you can make that decision. I’ve had both kits. The Legacy’s were awesome but in a more vintagy way if that makes sense. I personally prefer the Luddies but that may be because I was over the DW’s having had a Collectors kit for many years. I was ready for a change... and never looked back.

cymbalcleaner

Reaction score
Yeah, i would love to have modern kit with vintage 3 ply. For my jazz gigs a have two old gretsch kits, and for the modern i have the dw and a 60's vintage ludwig 3ply BUT 22/13/16. Now i'm old and i don't want to carry the 22's :)

pedro navahas

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I had a legacy maple kit with a 20x14 kick that fit the description you’re looking for!

Latest posts