DW Color Match Custom Order - Delivery & Update

sixplymaple

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ordered a new 14”x18” DW Collector’s floor tom 10 months ago to match my current kit. I had posted something about this a while back and a bunch of you asked for an update once it arrived. Well, it’s here! I also had to send in my 11”x14” tom for color/finish matching and it also just arrived back. It feels good to have the whole kit back in my house lol.

I am super-duper happy about the way the new floor tom came out. The finish/wood grain isn’t identical, but it’s like a 98% match. DW also installed their older style leg brackets and older style gold DW badges to match the rest of my kit, which was built back in 2006. I was impressed by that because I never even mentioned the older brackets and older badges in my order.

The drums are DW Collector’s 100% maple VLT shells and the finish is Natural Satin Oil over Curly Maple Exotic. All of the toms are DW’s FAST depths. The hardware is all chrome. This new floor tom sounds thunderous and ballsy! It was well worth the wait time and the money.

Sizes:
20”x22” Bass Drum
8”x22” Woofer
7”x8” Tom
8”x10” Tom
9”x12” Tom
11”x14” Tom
13”x16” Floor Tom
14”x18” Floor Tom

Here are some pics of the new floor tom and a few of the other toms...

What do you all think? Yay or nay?

Last edited:

Sinclair

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Gorgeous. Glad DW is still providing great craftsmanship. Didn't know they still did curly maple. I have a 10/13/16 with 6.5x13 snare in that finish and it's beautiful.

hsosdrum

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Beautiful! But a 20x22 bass drum PLUS a woofer??? That's some serious thump there.

sixplymaple

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Beautiful! But a 20x22 bass drum PLUS a woofer??? That's some serious thump there.
Yeah lol, it really sounds awesome with the woofer. It’s a noticeable difference actually. I’ve never used it at a gig though and really regret buying it. It’s spent 95% of it’s life sitting in my closet. Was a young & dumb purchase, but I had the $ at the time. It does look sexy on the kit though.

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
What a lovely kit, and this is coming from someone who is not a DW fan. Yet, there they are, and they are beautiful…bet they sound fantastic.

Regarding your woofer: What about using it as a stand-alone narrow bass drum? If my memory is intact, I saw Wally Ingram do that with David Lindley.

Still plenty of woofery.

cruddola

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ordered a new 14”x18” DW Collector’s floor tom 10 months ago to match my current kit. I had posted something about this a while back and a bunch of you asked for an update once it arrived. Well, it’s here! I also had to send in my 11”x14” tom for color/finish matching and it also just arrived back. It feels good to have the whole kit back in my house lol.

I am super-duper happy about the way the new floor tom came out. The finish/wood grain isn’t identical, but it’s like a 98% match. DW also installed their older style leg brackets and older style gold DW badges to match the rest of my kit, which was built back in 2006. I was impressed by that because I never even mentioned the older brackets and older badges in my order.

The drums are DW Collector’s 100% maple VLT shells and the finish is Natural Satin Oil over Curly Maple Exotic. All of the toms are DW’s FAST depths. The hardware is all chrome The new floor tom sounds thunderous and ballsy! It was well worth the wait time and the money.

Sizes:
20”x22” Bass Drum
8”x22” Woofer
7”x8” Tom
8”x10” Tom
9”x12” Tom
11”x14” Tom
13”x16” Floor Tom
14”x18” Floor Tom

Here are some pics of the new floor tom and a few of the other toms...

What do you all think? Yay or nay?
Them are some mighty fine and beautiful looking drums! I tried to steal them, but they wouldn't through my monitor!

sixplymaple

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
What a lovely kit, and this is coming from someone who is not a DW fan. Yet, there they are, and they are beautiful…bet they sound fantastic.

Regarding your woofer: What about using it as a stand-alone narrow bass drum? If my memory is intact, I saw Wally Ingram do that with David Lindley.

Still plenty of woofery.
Thanks man! They are my babies. Never getting sold.

The stand alone bass drum isn’t a bad idea, but I really just have no need for it. I’ve thought about selling it, but idk. I probably wouldn’t get a ton of $. Plus I already have a little busker setup and use this Trick pancake bass drum...

sixplymaple

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's gearing up to send some mighty brutal A-A. Aural Artillery!
Hell yeah brother! Somebody gets it! lol

Aural Artillery without going up to a 24” and screwing up all my tom heights lol.

cruddola

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hell yeah brother! Somebody gets it! lol

Aural Artillery without going up to a 24” and screwing up all my tom heights lol.
The folks in China are gonna suffer from some Triple-S. Serious Shell-Shock! Their Great Wall is gonna crumble!! Metal-up! I'm gonna tape up my frigging windows!

NobleCooleyNut

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I say Yay ! I have a fondness for natural maple finishes as my first professional level kit was a natural maple kit . I also love curly and flame maple veneers so this is I kit I really like . Congrats on the new add on .

Canbeats66

Reaction score
I know 10 months seems like an eternity when you are waiting for something custom like this, but looking at the results, perfection cannot be rushed. Gorgeous kit!!

bbunks

DFO Master
Reaction score
Your kit is beautiful and I’m happy to hear all the children are home

I had DW build a 13x16 for a kit I bought 7 years earlier. My largest tom had been a 15”. It’s stunning how well the drums match visually, and mine are an exotic finish with a fade.

I asked them to pitch the 16 extra low and the difference between the two would make you think the new drum was even bigger.

I don’t think any company’s craftsmanship is on par with DW.

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm not a DW guy either, but TOTAL respect for them going the extra mile and two big thumbs up!!

Dan

Tarkus

Reaction score
Congratulations to these drum beauties.

Wooden surface looks like a perfect match to the other floor tom. That's not easy to deliver as wood might age and fade differently. And to cut 18 inch peaces, you need quite a large veneer. Hope, it matches tonally as well.

Last edited: