DW Design Acrylic, Tom mount on bass drum doable ??

drummerbill

DFO Master
Reaction score
Looking to eventually purchase a DW Design Acrylic 5 pcs for use with the rock band I gig with.

Any comments, opinion, on if adding a double tom mount to the bass drum would be risky or ok ?

I gig every weekend and having to tote along my GMS spanner bar with mounts or a rack kind of makes me have second thoughts, {The DW / Pacific LXE maple kit with bass drum mounted tom holder and two toms I own, still sounds huge even with the mount and toms on it. IMHO} FYI: I use lightweight newer Ludwig / Sakaei flush base stands and try to keep the hardware weight to a minimum. Old guy allert ! :wink:

I am wondering if I'll end up getting stress cracks ? {I would have George @ Precision do the drilling if I go this route.}

purist

Reaction score
I have the DW tom mounting hardware installed on my two DW bass drums as well as my new Gretsch "New Classic" bass. These are all wood drums so...........no problems. If I were you, I would contact DW and ask them specifically if what you have in mind is a good idea.

drummerbill

DFO Master
Reaction score
purist said:
I have the DW tom mounting hardware installed on my two DW bass drums as well as my new Gretsch "New Classic" bass. These are all wood drums so...........no problems. If I were you, I would contact DW and ask them specifically if what you have in mind is a good idea.
Thanks, just sent them an e-mail. ;-)

dwdave

Groovinator
Reaction score
seems like the DW slide mount would spread out the weight nicely.

Vipercussionist

Drummer Extra Ordinary
Reaction score
I'm ASSUMING by risky, you mean will the acrylic shell stand the strain??

Answer, yes, the acrylics used today are much less likely to stress crack, and truth be told the old Vistalites did pretty well at the mounts, as brittle as they were. Cracking happened at the mount in the old days, but today's acrylics are much more resilient.

drummerbill said:
Looking to eventually purchase a DW Design Acrylic 5 pcs for use with the rock band I gig with.

Any comments, opinion, on if adding a double tom mount to the bass drum would be risky or ok ?

I gig every weekend and having to tote along my GMS spanner bar with mounts or a rack kind of makes me have second thoughts, {The DW / Pacific LXE maple kit with bass drum mounted tom holder and two toms I own, still sounds huge even with the mount and toms on it. IMHO} FYI: I use lightweight newer Ludwig / Sakaei flush base stands and try to keep the hardware weight to a minimum. Old guy allert ! :wink:

I am wondering if I'll end up getting stress cracks ? {I would have George @ Precision do the drilling if I go this route.}

TDM

Yapping Internet Mutt
Reaction score
drummerbill,

In the case of acrylics with a double tom mount on the shell, I second checking with the manufacturer. Also, were I you, I'd check with more than one manufacturer. For example, Sonor, Ludwig, DW, and a number of other manufacturers are now producing acrylics kits. I'd fire them all an email (or give them all a call, if that's feasible) and see what the consensus is. The reason I'd want consensus rather than a single opinion is my composite drums have bending troubles at the mount point - the shells won't handle the weight. The manufacturer said they'd be fine, but that was hopeful marketing rather than the truth. So... ask more than one company. That's the best path I can think of.

My own sense is acrylic is much denser and less "bendy" than many composites so it seems like it wouldn't be a problem. However, there is the potential for cracking so I'd definitely ask multiple manufacturers about this. Also, if you're buying from DW, ask DW whether cracks are covered under warranty. What happens if the cracks don't develop up until five to ten years after purchase? Will DW still cover those under warranty? Worth asking, if you ask me!

drummerbill

DFO Master
Reaction score
TDM said:
drummerbill,

In the case of acrylics with a double tom mount on the shell, I second checking with the manufacturer. Also, were I you, I'd check with more than one manufacturer. For example, Sonor, Ludwig, DW, and a number of other manufacturers are now producing acrylics kits. I'd fire them all an email (or give them all a call, if that's feasible) and see what the consensus is. The reason I'd want consensus rather than a single opinion is my composite drums have bending troubles at the mount point - the shells won't handle the weight. The manufacturer said they'd be fine, but that was hopeful marketing rather than the truth. So... ask more than one company. That's the best path I can think of.

My own sense is acrylic is much denser and less "bendy" than many composites so it seems like it wouldn't be a problem. However, there is the potential for cracking so I'd definitely ask multiple manufacturers about this. Also, if you're buying from DW, ask DW whether cracks are covered under warranty. What happens if the cracks don't develop up until five to ten years after purchase? Will DW still cover those under warranty? Worth asking, if you ask me!
All good points. I am pretty sure these are extruded and pre-assembled in Asia by one of DW's subcontractors. {Maybe the same guys as Crush ?}
So my thought is, the minute these get drilled over here "aftermarket", any chance of warranty on a shell crack, at least for the bass drum, would by moot.

cribbon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I saw a band recently (name withheld) whose drummer was using a DW acrylic kit (22/10,12, 14f, 16f & 5x14s). He had the 10 and 12 toms on a rack, which I'm guessing was a good thing because the shell of his 16 floor had split the entire length of the shell, which had been patched together with Bondo. If it were me, I'd put the rack toms on a floor stand between the hi-hat and kick just to be safe.

esooy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
dwdave said:
seems like the DW slide mount would spread out the weight nicely.
I would agree that it seems like the weight would spread out. But I think even a smaller one would be fine if it's treated well.

lperdomo13

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
bill, i have a brand new double dw slide mount. never been used. if your'e interested, you can have it for $75.00 w/ free shipping.

drummerbill

DFO Master
Reaction score
lperdomo13 said:
bill, i have a brand new double dw slide mount. never been used. if your'e interested, you can have it for $75.00 w/ free shipping.
Thanks, will contact you if still available, when I decide. :)

drummerbill

DFO Master
Reaction score
Just rec'd this reply from DW support. {Kind of throws a "fly in the ointment" } :-(

Hi Bill,

I highly recommend you do not attempt to add a tom holder on a acrylic bass drum. We actually tested one for R&D and it did not work out. J

I recommend looking to our 3000 stands. I gig all the time and I changed my 5000 and 9000 hardware to 3000 and the load has been easier to carry.

Angel Chavez

Customer Service

Drum Workshop

AngelC@dwdrums.com

P: 805-822-5328

F: 805-485-1334

TGStan

Reaction score
Thanks for the update. I recently purchased one of these kits and agree with DW's assessment. I prefer a mount on the kick, but oh well. They sound wonderful and look cool so it's all good.

drummerbill

DFO Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the update. I recently purchased one of these kits and agree with DW's assessment. I prefer a mount on the kick, but oh well. They sound wonderful and look cool so it's all good.
Yeah, Now I have to see if maybe there is a way I can add my GMS hex rod with clamps to my lightweight Ludwig Atlas class stands and "safely hold the two rack toms" without crushing the Luddys ?

I am curious why these are diffirent from the classic Vistalites which seemed to hold up well with the double tom holders ?
Thinner shells ?

I like the way the Acrylics look {yeah, I know} and would love to add them to our busy classic rock band. :wink:

Latest posts