DW Inks Endorsement Deal with PR Nightmare Tommy Lee

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
In a move that won't matter to anyone except the fetishists who've tattooed the logos of a particular drum companies on themselves, Motley Crue drummer and all 'round terrible person Tommy Lee now endorses DW.

The folks over at Pearl HQ are, I'm sure, thrilled to be rid of the association with a person who, remarkably, was able to make it through the past nine years without assaulting someone else.

Earlier in his career, Lee has been disloyal to Tama and Sonor.

Since the drum kits prepared for pros are pretty much custom, switching brands matters about as much to the music as changing car insurance providers or socks. This is particularly true if you're playing some of the worst songs of all time -- Don't Go Away Mad (Just Go Away), Hell on High Heels, Smokin' In The Boys Room, etc.

Bizarrely, Lee is the 85th Greatest Drummer of All Time, according to to Rolling Stone, which places him above Phil Rudd (86), Tomas Haake (93) and Travis Barker (99).

Here's the story from Drum Magazine:

Mötley Crüe Drummer Tommy Lee Returns to DW Drums

Mötley Crüe drummer Tommy Lee has signed an endorsement deal with DW Drums, the Southern California company announced today. He previously endorsed the company in the late ‘80s and ‘90s. The hard rock superstar will be playing DW drums, pedals, and hardware for the foreseeable future.

“DW is delighted to welcome back Tommy Lee to the DW Family,” the company said in a statement. He toured with his first DW kit during the Dr. Feelgood era and was featured in DW’s popular American Dream video series in the early 90s. He previously played Pearl drums, and has also been a Tama and Sonor artist in his career.

“Welcome back?” Lee said in a statement. “I never left. I just took a little journey trying some new things… I’m insanely excited about (DW) and the new gear. So stoked to share everything with ya!”

Mötley Crüe is currently enjoying a massive new audience since the release of the Netflix film “The Dirt,” a dramatized biopic of the band. A stadium tour is currently scheduled to begin this summer in Jacksonville on June 18. The tour, consisting of 31 shows, has already sold more than 1 million tickets in 25 stadiums. Joining the band on tour will be Def Leppard, Poison, and Joan Jett and the Blackhearts. As of this date there has been no official announcement on whether the tour will take place as scheduled, though many other big acts have cancelled or postponed their summer tours, including Green Day and Bon Jovi.

In November last year, the band destroyed the “cessation of touring agreement” that each of the four members signed in 2014 to kick off their “farewell tour.”

Tommy Lee is one of the most entertaining drummers in rock. His famous gravity defying drums solos, including the famous roller coaster, have inspired many drummers from bar bands to metal’s biggest names. Lee’s drumming helped define and power the pulsating heartbeat of Mötley Crüe, and his hard-living, rockstar persona and high-profile social life propelled him to become a pop culture, household name.

nmosko

Reaction score
Dude, don’t go away mad. Just go away.

lol Iheard that song in Food City The other day. I guess it was a shout out to all the people who couldn’t find any toilet paper…

Last edited:

nmosko

Reaction score
For the past 20 years Tommy Lee has been triggering everything on his set anyway so the only difference has been the logo on the front drum head… That being said I will admit that the dude definitely has a good groove and he has completely lived up to the bad boy rock ‘n’ roll image.m, for better or worse. On his isolated drum tracks he reminds me of a store-brand Phil Rudd that’s been expired too long but just never made its way off the grocery shelf. He’s smooth and never overplays. I’ll give credit where it’s due.

Old PIT Guy

Reaction score
Tommy 'Yardcar' Lee would make a bang-up admin for the super-secret decoder ring message forum. Tell him to bring a broken fridge for the porch.

Houndog

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
He was disloyal to Tama and Sonor ?? Is there a rule I'm not aware of on how long you stay with a company ?

dirtysicks

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I don't think anyone is buying DW or any other company because of Tommy Lee. TBH, I don't buy any company's drum based on who endorses or uses them. I always find it hilarious when I hear people say "I use such and such because whoever uses them" or "if they're good enough for such and such, they're good enough for me." I pick and play my gear based on sound and drums don't sound any better or worse just because a certain person plays them.

ppfd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You forgot he left Paiste for zildjain

One last world tour (again), what company wouldn’t want to provide the drums for that? This about sales period. And with the general lack of new musicians and now this virus laying waste to the economy, picking this guy back up is probably a good move, sort of like free agency.

Pearl signs everyone with some exposure. Hell look at Sabian they have to have the largest roster of anyone.

Ive never been a MC fan, I respect what they have done for music. I really don’t see tommy lee as much of a gear head and yeah “and endorsements don’t pay money”, which I find hard to believe in this guys case. He’s not doing clinics and unless Pearl did something to water him off why leave? I can’t image TL cares about R&D or wood types. As mentioned he is running electronics through his drums.
Theres cash involved somewhere

nmosko

Reaction score
All of these endorsements are about the financial results on both sides. There’s for sure money changing hands, whether it’s cash or free gear (so you don’t have to spend your cash on gear lol). I’d say maybe 2 or 3 out of 10 guys are playing a brand because that’s truly their preferred brand.

I remember watching a video of Chad Smith at a clinic a bit before he left for DW and he was dogging Pearl bad. He said the reference drums were a ripoff and that he didn’t actually use them on Stadium Arcadium, as one Pearl ad showed, because they didn’t sound like vintage Gretsch. He straight up said the reference logo was photoshopped into the drums in the ad. Sure enough I looked, and upon closer inspection it was clear that Chad wasn’t lying. After seeing that video I was like man, I bet Pearl is NOT happy...

pgm554

Reaction score
You forgot he left Paiste for zildjain

One last world tour (again), what company wouldn’t want to provide the drums for that? This about sales period. And with the general lack of new musicians and now this virus laying waste to the economy, picking this guy back up is probably a good move, sort of like free agency.

Pearl signs everyone with some exposure. Hell look at Sabian they have to have the largest roster of anyone.

Ive never been a MC fan, I respect what they have done for music. I really don’t see tommy lee as much of a gear head and yeah “and endorsements don’t pay money”, which I find hard to believe in this guys case. He’s not doing clinics and unless Pearl did something to water him off why leave? I can’t image TL cares about R&D or wood types. As mentioned he is running electronics through his drums.
Theres cash involved somewhere
Know one of the guys that was Pearl endorser.
At the end of the tour ,you have to turn in the drums they fronted you.
Not such a great endorsement.

pgm554

Reaction score
All of these endorsements are about the financial results on both sides. There’s for sure money changing hands, whether it’s cash or free gear (so you don’t have to spend your cash on gear lol). I’d say maybe 2 or 3 out of 10 guys are playing a brand because that’s truly their preferred brand.

I remember watching a video of Chad Smith at a clinic a bit before he left for DW and he was dogging Pearl bad. He said the reference drums were a ripoff and that he didn’t actually use them on Stadium Arcadium, as one Pearl ad showed, because they didn’t sound like vintage Gretsch. He straight up said the reference logo was photoshopped into the drums in the ad. Sure enough I looked, and upon closer inspection it was clear that Chad wasn’t lying. After seeing that video I was like man, I bet Pearl is NOT happy...
He never played his signature snare drum.
Look at the market for that snare used,I payed $85 bucks for one and never played it.
Pearl makes some great snares ,but that ain't one of em.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score