DW Inks Endorsement Deal with PR Nightmare Tommy Lee

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Tommy is a perfect match for the music he plays. He has an incredible feel/groove with an aggressive predatory tendency i the way he attacks a beat. I think it suits the music really well. As a drummer isn;t that what we should be doing?

And he contributed to this: best version of this song I've ever heard, and his contribution is a huge part of it's success.

Doesn't change the fact that he's an a-hole.

speady1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm not going to share any opinions on MC or Tommy, here. Think about this "announcement" from DW's viewpoint. MC made headlines with the movie and by coming out of retirement. They are going out on what will undoubtedly be the biggest tour of the year, (if it happens) and will get a ton more press. The tour has sold almost a million tickets already. All of these things will happen with the DW logo on Tommy's drums. It's a brilliant play for DW. Also, if I remember correctly, Rick Allen and Rikki Rockett are also DW endorsers. That makes all 3 headlining bands part of the DW universe. They essentially cornered the market on the biggest tour of the past few years...It's genius from that standpoint alone.

Will it sell drums? Who knows? But, they're betting on it. What did it cost them? 10-12 drum sets in total for all 3 bands, most likely. I'd say it's a great bet for them.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
I’m VV Lou
I'm not going to share any opinions on MC or Tommy, here. Think about this "announcement" from DW's viewpoint. MC made headlines with the movie and by coming out of retirement. They are going out on what will undoubtedly be the biggest tour of the year, (if it happens) and will get a ton more press. The tour has sold almost a million tickets already. All of these things will happen with the DW logo on Tommy's drums. It's a brilliant play for DW. Also, if I remember correctly, Rick Allen and Rikki Rockett are also DW endorsers. That makes all 3 headlining bands part of the DW universe. They essentially cornered the market on the biggest tour of the past few years...It's genius from that standpoint alone.

Will it sell drums? Who knows? But, they're betting on it. What did it cost them? 10-12 drum sets in total for all 3 bands, most likely. I'd say it's a great bet for them.
Don’t disagree with any of that, but there’s also a downside to associating your brand to a person whose future could include additional incidents of fist-fighting one of his children and a wife, as well as a video of him steering a boat without using his hands or feet.

dirtysicks

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Tommy Lee is by far not the best out there, but he fits in well in the music that MC plays (whether you like the music or not is subjective lol). I do wonder how many drummers on here could play the same thing as him with the same intensity and execution? Wouldn't it be cool or interesting to see forum members post a vid of them playing a sample from that drummer whenever they say a drummer sucks? LOL

Houndog

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Only starters and fanboys would buy drums because somebody else uses them. People buy them because they are good drums. Famous or name people are only good for getting drums seen, not really purchased by the masses.
Case in point- Ddrum drums were not running off the shelf when somebody famous like Carmine Appice endorsed them.
Was Carmine even relevant anymore by the time he got to DDrum ?

Johnny D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’m VV Lou

Don’t disagree with any of that, but there’s also a downside to associating your brand to a person whose future could include additional incidents of fist-fighting one of his children and a wife, as well as a video of him steering a boat without using his hands or feet.
I'm jumping in late in the game... Has there been some recent incident with Tommy physically abusing his wife and kids? I can't say I know him "well" but I do know him, and he's actually a very nice guy. Even going back to his wild days in the 80s, when I was working at DW (and he was still with Pearl) he was a nice guy. Not an a-hole.

And when we signed him with Zildjian in 2005 I spent more time with him, and got to know him better, and he's a good guy. I only say this because there've been several comments depicting him as an a-hole and I never experienced that with him. But he sure loves his Jagermeister! lol

Chad Smith is another really good guy. An excellent drummer, and a student of the instrument and its history.

At the end of the day, Tommy being back with DW probably won't move the needle in terms of DW sales, but he loves Don Lombardi and Don loves him. And when he first signed with DW in '90 or '91 it was a game changer for DW, so I can see why they took him back. And his reason for leaving DW to go back to Pearl was to play their electronic kit, which seemed to be a bust and I'm sure he regretted it in hindsight.

ThomFloor

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
He never played his signature snare drum.
Look at the market for that snare used,I payed $85 bucks for one and never played it.
Pearl makes some great snares ,but that ain't one of em.
Actually Chad (and Ian Paice) are two the few who do actually play their sig snare. Maybe not every gig, but I see Chad play his in videos of Chickenfoot . Its a decent snare for its price point (the steel sig that is, not the more recent free floater)

Johnny D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Was Carmine even relevant anymore by the time he got to DDrum ?
Well, he's #28 here
I have tremendous respect for Carmine, but I'm going to say that in spite of him being ranked #28 of the 100 Greatest Drummers of All Time, his time being an "influential drummer" is behind him. It doesn't take away from his legacy, and the fact that he still plays great today. But kids buying DDrum kits (do kids buy DDrum kits?) probably don't know who Carmine is. But what do I know...

Pickinator

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Did a little boy (maybe age 6) drown in his swimming pool a while back. I am not a fan of this guy.

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Tommy Lee was topical when he was married to Pam and Heather in the 80's and 90's. After that, good night Tommy.

KevinD

Reaction score
Oh, I think we knew that when the Crue named their box set "Music to Crash Your Car To." Do you think the family of Razzle Dingley (RIP) thought that was a cool title?

Kind of interesting, the two occupants of the car he hit were severely injured, with some reports mentioning traumatic brain injury/brain damage and "life changing injuries," ( I think one of the Crue bios mentioned life-long injuries) but there is very little that one can find about them Lisa Logan and Daniel Smithers today by searching Google (admittedly, not terribly thorough but still..).
Most of the Google searches turn up articles from the 80s, or more recent ones that contain the same old information. Not even a "Vince Neil's Victims Today" type of article. One of the older articles that turns up listed the terms of the settlement that Neil paid out as restitution (not a ton of money even in those days, considering "life-long" injuries). I wonder if the band/mgt paid them to shy away from interviews, or scrubs that info from search engines?

Houndog

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have tremendous respect for Carmine, but I'm going to say that in spite of him being ranked #28 of the 100 Greatest Drummers of All Time, his time being an "influential drummer" is behind him. It doesn't take away from his legacy, and the fact that he still plays great today. But kids buying DDrum kits (do kids buy DDrum kits?) probably don't know who Carmine is. But what do I know...
I have tremendous respect as well .
Saw him in clinic at the Chicago Drum show once .

snappy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have charted out a huge number of songs over the years.
A lot of Motley Crue's song structures are very unorthodox.
Generally, you aint faking it and need to be thinking your way thru the song.
I think he is a dang good drummer- I cant speak to TMZ news or stories regarding the famous boating video because I have never seen it. Anyone who thinks up the
"drums on a rollercoaster",
in my opinion,
gets major props for that idea alone.

Last edited:

drichardbailey

Reaction score
Only starters and fanboys would buy drums because somebody else uses them. People buy them because they are good drums. Famous or name people are only good for getting drums seen, not really purchased by the masses.
Case in point- Ddrum drums were not running off the shelf when somebody famous like Carmine Appice endorsed them.
Counter argument, chasing artists that mattered in 1976 is not the best way to sell your drums aimed at kids in 2015. Thats an artist roster management issue. Had they gotten the dude from 21 pilots, they'd sell all the drums.

Houndog

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have charted out a huge number of songs over the years.
A lot of Motley Crue's song structures are very unorthodox.
Generally, you aint faking it and need to be thinking your way thru the song.
I think he is a dang good drummer- I cant speak to TMZ news or stories regarding the famous boating video because I have never seen it. Anyone who thinks up the
"drums on a rollercoaster",
in my opinion,
gets major props for that idea alone.
I actually thought of the rollercoaster thing years before he did it , except mine went all the way thru the arena and had a few loops ...

Latest posts