DW Inks Endorsement Deal with PR Nightmare Tommy Lee

SpinaDude

Reaction score
Tommy Lee is by far not the best out there, but he fits in well in the music that MC plays (whether you like the music or not is subjective lol). I do wonder how many drummers on here could play the same thing as him with the same intensity and execution? Wouldn't it be cool or interesting to see forum members post a vid of them playing a sample from that drummer whenever they say a drummer sucks? LOL
I saw a video of Randy Castillo playing with Motley Crue -- can;t remember how long ago. Castillo is a great drummer, but his feel didn;t propel the songs the same way. Then I saw the chick from L7 play with them. She nailed his feel and style. She sounded great.

ThomFloor

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Counter argument, chasing artists that mattered in 1976 is not the best way to sell your drums aimed at kids in 2015. Thats an artist roster management issue. Had they gotten the dude from 21 pilots, they'd sell all the drums.
Yes that's true, excellent point.

Johnny D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I saw a video of Randy Castillo playing with Motley Crue -- can;t remember how long ago. Castillo is a great drummer, but his feel didn;t propel the songs the same way. Then I saw the chick from L7 play with them. She nailed his feel and style. She sounded great.
The late great Randy Castillo joined MC in 1998 or 1999. He passed away in 2002. Randy was Ozzy's drummer in the 80's until early 90s and was a great drummer and a great guy.

Samantha Maloney ("Hole") came in when Randy got sick in the early 2000s and played with them for a few years, before Tommy rejoined the band. I agree she was great with them. Probably more like Tommy Lee than Randy was.

Mn02

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
What is too bad is that this tour or any tour is likely not going to happen anytime soon thanks to the current pandemic, so we can neither really admire their ability to keep "rockin" at their advanced age or make fun of their effort to relive their glory days long after their expiration date.

With respect to Tommy Lee, I always thought he was good drummer and I think his parts have a lot to offer someone as a lesson in feel and adding energy to a song. I think it is unfair to say he is a bad person, he has had his ups and downs in life and is certainly an example of rock and roll excess. But he is more like a teenager that never grew up. I have never seen anything where anyone called him a bad person to be around. By all accounts he seems to be a nice guy, just immature for his age perhaps.

MaskingApathy

Reaction score
Teenager that never grew up is a good way to describe him. Steven Adler is the same way.

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I don't think anyone is buying DW or any other company because of Tommy Lee. TBH, I don't buy any company's drum based on who endorses or uses them. I always find it hilarious when I hear people say "I use such and such because whoever uses them" or "if they're good enough for such and such, they're good enough for me." I pick and play my gear based on sound and drums don't sound any better or worse just because a certain person plays them.
LMAO. I play Gretsch because Art Blakey did and I want that sound. If they were/are good enough for Art, Max, Tony, Stanton, Vinnie, those two guys in Tesdesci-Trucks and Jaimoe, then they are good enough for me!

Houndog

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
LMAO. I play Gretsch because Art Blakey did and I want that sound. If they were/are good enough for Art, Max, Tony, Stanton, Vinnie, Those two guys in Tesdesci-Trucks, Jaimoe, etc...they are good enough for me!
I play Slingerland because my heros did too !!! Neil Peart ,Phil Ehart ,Bill Ward ,Matt Abts to name a few .

dirtysicks

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
LMAO. I play Gretsch because Art Blakey did and I want that sound. If they were/are good enough for Art, Max, Tony, Stanton, Vinnie, those two guys in Tesdesci-Trucks and Jaimoe, then they are good enough for me!
"I want that sound." This is the part you have in your statement that wasn't in mine... meaning it is still about the sound. If you liked Art Blakey's drumming but not how his drums sounded would you still play Gretsch just because Art Blakey did?

dirtysicks

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I play Slingerland because my heros did too !!! Neil Peart ,Phil Ehart ,Bill Ward ,Matt Abts to name a few .
Same question... If you liked their drumming but not how their drums sounded would you still play Slingerland just because they did?

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
"I want that sound." This is the part you have in your statement that wasn't in mine... meaning it is still about the sound. If you liked Art Blakey's drumming but not how his drums sounded would you still play Gretsch just because Art Blakey did?
In Art Blakey's case, I think the two factors are inextricably linked, so it's hard to quantify that, but to answer your question probably not. On the other hand, maybe I would. Gretsch has a mystic built in to their brand and they are good drums. I like Joe Morello too, but I don't own a set of Ludwig's. Which leads to an interesting question. What would Joe Morello sound like playing a Gretsch kit?

Latest posts