DW Inks Endorsement Deal with PR Nightmare Tommy Lee

ThomFloor

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
LMAO. I play Gretsch because Art Blakey did and I want that sound. If they were/are good enough for Art, Max, Tony, Stanton, Vinnie, those two guys in Tesdesci-Trucks and Jaimoe, then they are good enough for me!
I get what you're saying, but you of course realize that many drummers, including Art (pics), changed choices over their long history, in many cases due to endorsement arrangements that suited them. These guys 'sound' the same on just about any set. I've seen Jaimoe rockin' Pearl and the Tedschi Trucks guys both with Sakae. This is what makes endorsement almost like following the weather.

Attachments

dirtysicks

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
In Art Blakey's case, I think the two factors are inextricably linked, so it's hard to quantify that, but to answer your question probably not. On the other hand, maybe I would. Gretsch has a mystic built in to their brand and they are good drums. I like Joe Morello too, but I don't own a set of Ludwig's. Which leads to an interesting question. What would Joe Morello sound like playing a Gretsch kit?
He would still sound like Joe Morello. Peart didn't stop sounding like Peart when he went from Slingerland, to Tama, to DW. Vinnie left Gretsch and came back and still sounded like Vinnie. Buddy Rich moved around but always sounded like Buddy. List goes on and on. Drums may have sounded slightly different but they're drumming still sounded like them.

Houndog

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Drums pretty much sound like drums , I have no shame in admitting that I play my heros brand .
Yeah so what they all switch brands ....
It's not about how the drums sound at that stage in game so much ,it's about a relationship and support .

SpinaDude

Reaction score
The late great Randy Castillo joined MC in 1998 or 1999. He passed away in 2002. Randy was Ozzy's drummer in the 80's until early 90s and was a great drummer and a great guy.

Samantha Maloney ("Hole") came in when Randy got sick in the early 2000s and played with them for a few years, before Tommy rejoined the band. I agree she was great with them. Probably more like Tommy Lee than Randy was.
Yes! The chick from Hole. Thanks for catching that and properly filling in the timeline.

Technically, I always thought Castillo was head and shoulders above Tommy Lee. But I was disappointed with the performance. Sometimes you're just the right dude for the right gig. And Tommy Lee fit that perfectly.

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Drums pretty much sound like drums , I have no shame in admitting that I play my heros brand .
Yeah so what they all switch brands ....
It's not about how the drums sound at that stage in game so much ,it's about a relationship and support .
That's about how I feel about it.

Warrenbonz

Reaction score
I was a 13 year old kid wandering around an outdoor Rod Stewart concert in the early 80s when I saw Tommy Lee sitting in between two beautiful blond women near some concession stands. ”Shout at the Devil” was one of the first albums I bought and learned the drums to so I was pretty excited to see him. I went over to them and he was really nice to me and my friend took a picture of us with his arm around me giving the middle finger to the camera. My 13 year old self was psyched. Haven‘t seen that picture or thought of that meeting in a few decades! Anyway, I think Tommy was/is a great fit for that band and I still find those early tracks fun to play. I don’t keep up with the drama of his personal life but hope he finds peace with his family and himself.

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Back when Tommy played DW on the Dr. Feelgood tour that was a huge. It was like the floodgates opened and artists flocked to DW. Given that there is a past relationship I'm not surprised he's back with DW. It really won't matter if there isn't a summer stadium tour.