header.nohb.html

DW jazz series vs gretsch usa custom

jfern471

Reaction score
I think you should go with the DW jazz series. I have a DW collectors kit that tunes up high for jazz very well. I also have a jazz series snare that sounds great. Also Dw add on toms are easy to order and they offer many cool shell options for certain sounds. Also I have an Austin Fibes set with same Jasper shells Gretsch used. Maybe look for an Austin Fibes set too!!

noahJT

prone to DFO-UI
Reaction score
Weve missed the easy answer, get both!

Both great kits, I doubt you will have buyers remorse after getting either one. Ive played on one of Peter Erskine's personal DW jazz kits and it sounded great, even better when tuned by the hands of a master! I do prefer USA customs though. I've only played a couple of each type at gigs and whatnot and owned none, but there's something about a Gretsch's resonance that's just chicken soup for the soul!

smythe5

Reaction score
There's also something about the melodious resonance and instant response of Gretsch. I've heard other Gretsch knock-offs that are close but not quite as musical, in a way. Perhaps the silver sealer plays into this? Not sure. After playing these Broadkasters on a gig tonight, I realize that it may be worth it for you to spring for some Gretsch's. I used to study with Jeff Ballard, (he's from my home town of Santa Cruz). He swears by Yamaha. I respect that... but I must say... Gretsch are my all time favorite drums. Even the new ones.

TommyWells

Pro/Founder
Reaction score
I will give my 2c, but first I will tell you, I am a Gretsch endorser for almost 12 years.

The DW Jazz series drums are a great copy of a MODERN Gretsch drumshell. Not of the old round badge drums. If you like the sound of modern Gretsch drums, both the DWs and the Gretsch drums have that sound. I personally like the modern Gretsch hardware. They both have the L arms and a nylon ball as part of the tom mounts. In fact, they are interchangeable. As far as stands, and such, use whatever you want. I use the Gibraltar stuff. But if we are talking about the lugs on the drums, the new Gretsch lugs work perfectly and have the classic Gretsch look. Dws have the classic Camco look. I would say to anyone, GO PLAY THEM. Either way, you can't go wrong. So play what feels right to you.

smythe5

Reaction score
I will give my 2c, but first I will tell you, I am a Gretsch endorser for almost 12 years.

The DW Jazz series drums are a great copy of a MODERN Gretsch drumshell. Not of the old round badge drums. If you like the sound of modern Gretsch drums, both the DWs and the Gretsch drums have that sound. I personally like the modern Gretsch hardware. They both have the L arms and a nylon ball as part of the tom mounts. In fact, they are interchangeable. As far as stands, and such, use whatever you want. I use the Gibraltar stuff. But if we are talking about the lugs on the drums, the new Gretsch lugs work perfectly and have the classic Gretsch look. Dws have the classic Camco look. I would say to anyone, GO PLAY THEM. Either way, you can't go wrong. So play what feels right to you.

I agree completely.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Tommy makes a great point. Are you sure that you're not looking for the sound of a Round Badge Gretsch kit?

kip

DFO Master
Reaction score
Do you like dw?
Then go and get the dw

Do you like the Gretsch?
Then go and get the Gretsch

Have you played them both
What did you think?

SteveB

DFO Star
Reaction score
If I read this right, you're looking for a great sounding jazz kit, and price is part of(if only a small part)your decision. Take a listen to the Yamaha Club Custom. They were designed for the player looking for a vintage vibe with modern reliability. These kits sound fantastic, are light weight (easy on the back), look great, and street price is about $800 or so less than the Gretsch. One of the guys on another forum posted a You Tube of a comparison between the two. Definitely worth your time giving them a listen.

Man, I sure wouldn't consider those higher examples a high tension for a bop kit...I'd say very low and medium low. I do agree there isn't a huge difference but one set definitely hangs around a little longer in that space. I would have liked to hear them cranked up there.

I agree that none of those sets sound like an authentic round badge but part of that round badge sound is the choked quality, with very tight heads around oversized shells, heavy hoops and lousy hardware. These newer kits are much more open sounding than the older drums. Consider Eames too. An Eames directly shell mounted with heavy hoops is very round badge like, although the drums are absolutely nothing alike in makeup. Some of the old Sonors also have more of that same quality.

Last edited by a moderator: