header.nohb.html

DW jazz series

jazzguy2

Reaction score
I'm looking into getting a DW jazz series. Is there anything i should worry about this kit? I've heard some negative and positive stuff towards DW and i dont know what to think. please help i would really appreciate it!!!!!

JCKOriollo

DFO Master
Reaction score
I've only heard good things about those kits. DW makes a great kit and have excellent customer service. If I was in the market for a kit like that I'd probably also consider the Ludwig legacy as an option

Chonson

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The only thing I'd worry about is how weird people get about DWs in general, if that sort of thing bothers or matters to you.

Jazz series are great drums; I own a set I love. In that range there are several great kits to be found and fortunately it's down to finding the one that does exactly what you want. For me, Jazz was easily one of those kits.

R

RickP

I recently sold my DW Jazz series kit, there was nothing wrong with it, in fact the quality is excellent on it.it sounds great too. I am just not playing music that requires an 18". Bass drum these days. I would not hesitate to buy another in the future ( albeit with a larger bass ).

Stixnergard2

DFO Master
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with the DW jazz series but why not buy the real deal and get a set of Gretsch USA customs. They Gretsch kit will be less expensive, hold their value if you ever want to sell them, and has way more jazz mojo than the DW kit.

doctor dirt

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Are you looking for a kit that comes with a "sound board" or "sounds good"? No one has mentioned the sound you want, how you tune and what type of music you play!! Do you like a tight sound or a drum that has bottom with a fair amount of sound that resonants? Possibly a drum that can have a wide tuning range or a drum that only delivers oe specific sound. I have 2 kits right now with 18" kicks one a maple the other a birch and they are worlds apart in sound production. Both very very good but very different! Instead of a brand name what sounds are you interested in? Doc.

noreastbob

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hi jazzguy2. DW makes fantastic drums. As good as any on the planet IMO. Most of the top of the line drums are excellent. The only knock on them is their price but again...most top end offerings are similarly priced. Some I believe also resent DW for their relatively quick rise to prominence over the last couple decades.
I've benn playing (off & on) for 47 years and after a brush with mortallity a few years back decided to buy a trophy / set of a lifetime. I got a collectors kit and havn't regretted it for a second. They are by far the best built and sounding drums I've ever seen and played. The hardware is as amazing as the drums and the exotic wood finishes are incredible.
If you don't mind spending the dough, I believe you will be very happy with a jazz kit. Very happy!

bennettoford

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with the DW jazz series but why not buy the real deal and get a set of Gretsch USA customs. They Gretsch kit will be less expensive, hold their value if you ever want to sell them, and has way more jazz mojo than the DW kit.

Absolutely dead on. I have a USA Custom, and even though I'm primarily play Indie/Alternative stuff I know it has the potential to be a great jazz kit when my high school's jazz band starts up. They have and will hold value if you take care of them. And if you really look at the long run, DW kits are selling less (because they're too expensive) (and from many drummers I know) don't sound as good.

chicagojzz

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Mirroring several of the other comments, the Jazz Series is designed to give a sound similar to Gretsch's flagship line. Both companies do a great job with their respective offerings, so you can't really go wrong with either.

Gretsch DOES have a tendency to hold their resale value more relative to original price, but that has more to do with DW's retail pricing than the actual value of the drums (when I've priced head to head, the DW version of what I'm looking at is 20% higher than Gretsch for otherwise similar sets). On the other hand, DW offers a number of finishes you can't get on USA Customs, so there's a little more room for individualization, and DW is making their own shells rather than having them outsourced to a shell maker.

A/B testing, I've never been able to tell much of a difference between the two lines, just as I can't between USA Customs and the Gretsch New Classic imports (a great alternative, if you want to be more in the $1600-1800 range rather than $2200+).

cornelius

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The DW Jazz kits are great! Amazing tuning range, not just for jazz - all DW's hold their value very well, I prefer them to the new Gretsches...

Lee

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Find a dealer that has what you are looking for to try on the floor. Asking the question here is just getting the typical "more expensive...less expensive...mojo versus bozo" type of arguments.

I own DW and Sonor. Used to own Gretsch. You can see where my worthless opinion would play out along with the other opinions offered.

noreastbob

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Before I bought my dw exotic collectors I came very close to getting USA customs. They're very nice drums and sound fantastic. I was sort of trying to avoid DW just because of the overexposure factor. But in the end I couldn't deny the proprietary SSC shell technology, the superior hardware, as in; I'm not fond of Gibralter,I like the graduated hoop to drum dimensional relationship,true pitch tension rods, the beefy solid stands, the exotic wood and lacquer finishes and the general attention to detail.
I'm not trying to toot the DW horn so much as answer jazzguy2's question about whether he'd like the jazz series drums. I believe he would do well with any of the top makes, but if he is interested in what DW is offering, I think he would not regret pulling the trigger for even a second once got his hands on them.

cornelius

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I was sort of trying to avoid DW just because of the overexposure factor... if he is interested in what DW is offering, I think he would not regret pulling the trigger for even a second once got his hands on them.

I avoided dw back in the 90s and went with a high boutique company instead. I thought I was saving money and getting the same quality, but that wasn't the case. There's nothing to worry about with a Jazz Series kit... DW is a great company to deal with...

R

RickP

The DW Jazz kits are great! Amazing tuning range, not just for jazz - all DW's hold their value very well, I prefer them to the new Gretsches...

+1 - I have owned 5 Gretsch kits ( stop sign badge) and 1 DW Jazz and they sound alike to my ear. I prefer the aesthetics of the Gretsch lug design to the round DW lug.

Pickinator

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I used to be one of DWs bigest disrespectors. Not anymore. The build quality is as close to Rogers swivomatic (my gold standard) as one can find; except with a huge choice in materials, finishes, sizes, and vastly improved hardware...

I am in the market for a new US-built drumset and am looking at DW. Ludwig reviews are just not good in my opinion. They still suffer from the finish and fit of the hardware and have their fans accepting the short-comings. I've never cared for Gretsch although I bought a set of Catalinas for our son's birthday.

USA made matters to me now more than ever. DW, Carvin, Avatar - Some USA made stuff is quite good.
-Looking to buy a DW collectors set with snare, 2 bass drums, 3 mounted, 2 floor, and 900 series hardware. A slew of new Paistes to top it off. This may wait until spring?

smythe5

Reaction score
I have nothing against DW. The sound of their top of the line drums has never been my cup of tea and they are very expensive. For the money, or for far less, I would recommend the real deal: vintage Gretsch or any used (or new) USA customs. After all, as others have stated, they are the model for which DW's jazz series are patterned after, and in my opinion, sound much more musical and responsive. I scored a late 90's Gretsch Broadkaster kit in very good condition recently for $1,500. They are the same exact classic maple/gumwood shells as the USA custom, die cast hoops, and are some of the best drums I've ever played. Wouldn't think of ever selling them.

jazzguy2

Reaction score
Hey guys thanks so far, i've been looking for a round, dark, but warm sound. From a different review i heard the dw had these qualities. I'm going to test drive one this weekend and see how it feels. Keep sending advice please. Also if you guys could, some videos besides the peter erskine one. Thanks

R

RickP

Hey guys thanks so far, i've been looking for a round, dark, but warm sound. From a different review i heard the dw had these qualities. I'm going to test drive one this weekend and see how it feels. Keep sending advice please. Also if you guys could, some videos besides the peter erskine one. Thanks

Seeing your post here, I would recommend the DW Classics series over the Jazz series. The shell layup on these are three ply mahogany poplar mahogany with 10 ply maple reinforcing rings and butter bearing edges (i.e. rounded bearing edges). These were modelled after the Slingerland Radio King.

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
I own a DW Buddy Rich kit and can attest that behind a curtain you would be hard pressed to tell it from a Radio King. I have played around with the DW Jazz series and the darn things sound like Gretsch too me. Bear in mind that Gretsch is not my sound and I did not have sufficient time to say with absolute certainty that they could pass. I will say that DW seems to have the knack for replicating any drum sound they want. And their quality is second to none IMHO.