DW PDP Pacific snares: tube lugs don't work!

damnedcat777

Reaction score
I bought 2 PDP Pacific DW ACE snare drums in the last year. They're the model w/ the smoked chrome, brass shell & tube lugs, NOT the PDP oval lugs like on all their other stuff (they come in 5x14 & 6.5x14; I got one of each). I've found that when I try to tighten ANY of the tube lug tension rods on each snare that the center section of the tube lug spins freely, and I have to hold the bottom tension rod (on the opposite side of the one I'm trying to tighten) w/ a 2nd drum key!!! I have this problem on BOTH of my PDP Pacific ACE snares. Am I the ONLY PERSON to have this problem w/ these tube lug snare drums? I find that hard to believe. Is there an easy fix to this problem? You'd think after spending so much on DW snares ($220 & $280) a problem THIS obvious (tube lugs on DW/PDP snares DON'T work) would've been addressed already. Anyone else out there care to comment? Does anyone w/ any other kind of DW snare (w/ tube lugs) notice the center section spinning freely when they try to tighten the tension rods? What's up w/ this? Sure hope my email to DW/PDP gets to a point where this probolem is either resolved or I gets my money back. Cuz this is WAY too much to spend on a snare drum(s) that DO NOT WORK! Fer real on that shizzle. Holler back at me, y'all...

Harris K.

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I could think of a solution or three, but it's not worth it. That's poor engineering, plain and simple. And I can't think of many simpler 'engines'.
Just take them back, and have them fixed or replaced. In an hour...

Imposing Will

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I bought 2 PDP Pacific DW ACE snare drums in the last year. They're the model w/ the smoked chrome, brass shell & tube lugs, NOT the PDP oval lugs like on all their other stuff (they come in 5x14 & 6.5x14; I got one of each). I've found that when I try to tighten ANY of the tube lug tension rods on each snare that the center section of the tube lug spins freely, and I have to hold the bottom tension rod (on the opposite side of the one I'm trying to tighten) w/ a 2nd drum key!!! I have this problem on BOTH of my PDP Pacific ACE snares. Am I the ONLY PERSON to have this problem w/ these tube lug snare drums? I find that hard to believe. Is there an easy fix to this problem? You'd think after spending so much on DW snares ($220 & $280) a problem THIS obvious (tube lugs on DW/PDP snares DON'T work) would've been addressed already. Anyone else out there care to comment? Does anyone w/ any other kind of DW snare (w/ tube lugs) notice the center section spinning freely when they try to tighten the tension rods? What's up w/ this? Sure hope my email to DW/PDP gets to a point where this probolem is either resolved or I gets my money back. Cuz this is WAY too much to spend on a snare drum(s) that DO NOT WORK! Fer real on that shizzle. Holler back at me, y'all...
Take one of the lugs off of the drum, and check inside the threaded holes where the lug screws go to attach the drum to the shell. There should be VERY small allen-headed set screws in there. SHOULD BE. ?? Good luck-hope this fixes it for ya.

-Jim

damnedcat777

Reaction score
Take one of the lugs off of the drum, and check inside the threaded holes where the lug screws go to attach the drum to the shell. There should be VERY small allen-headed set screws in there. SHOULD BE. ?? Good luck-hope this fixes it for ya.

-Jim
OK, this I'm gonna try. Thanks! Hope it werks...