DW Performance Series

Pickinator

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have just heard that the DW Performance drum line is made in China. It had been made in Mexico a few years back and then was moved to the US. I am surprised to hear That the manufacturing has moved to China yet the price tag is still high.

Is this true or am I mistaken.

musiqman

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
China isn’t the cheap labor country ythat it was in the 80’s.

Also factor in that shipping/flying the shells from china is more expensive than a truck over the (close border)

I thought they assambled the (made in taiwan) hardware in Cali still.

Pickinator

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I emailed Dave Dunsire at Sweetwater music. He is a sales engineer? In Fort Wayne Indiana. He says China.

I knew the Design Series was made in China and thought the Performance was made in the US. The DW website skirts the issue for The Performance series, but certainly states Made in USA for their flagship line, the Collectors series.

It is just my belief that considering the DW website slight-of-hand and the Sweetwater salesman (engineer?), who is hoping to make a sale and probably looked up my question, I am unfortunately thinking China and not California.

drumstuff66

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Although I thought the Performance series was still made in the USA, it does look like the wording has changed on their website. If they were still made here I'd think that would be a front & center selling point like it used to be. Badge appears to only say "Hand Crafted" as well. Not sure if that's a change or not.

Reminds me a little of the Premier Artist Series. "British Made Since 1922" = Made in England. "Hand Built Since 1922" = Made in Taiwan.

FWIW, I'd generally take Sweetwater info over GC, but would still like DW to 'fess up and clarify on it's website.

ARGuy

DFO Master
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I emailed Dave Dunsire at Sweetwater music. He is a sales engineer? In Fort Wayne Indiana. He says China.

I knew the Design Series was made in China and thought the Performance was made in the US. The DW website skirts the issue for The Performance series, but certainly states Made in USA for their flagship line, the Collectors series.

It is just my belief that considering the DW website slight-of-hand and the Sweetwater salesman (engineer?), who is hoping to make a sale and probably looked up my question, I am unfortunately thinking China and not California.
Sales Engineer = fancy way of saying Sales.

karlcrafton

Reaction score
I'm 99% sure I heard John Good say in the latest DW videos that the Performance series shells are made in the DW factory.
It was on the LA Drum Day video, when showing the different DW lines.

Pickinator

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
In other words, we really don’t know.

How old is that badge picture above? I have no doubt that the Performance Series was made in the USA for a time.

I don’t want to pay big bucks for a China kit. Performance series used to be a very nice US made kit at a fair price. I was hoping it still is.

To offer the “Clearly stated” China made Design series along side a potentially-deceptive Performance series that hides the fact of “China made” without fessing, is irritating if true.

I am interested in a gold or yellow sparkle kit with 2 bass drums, 2 floor toms, 3 mounted, and a matching snare that is made here. I am not a fan of Gretsch (or Ludwig’s unpredictability).

Rotarded

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, referencing DW's site, and/or asking DW's own CSR, have been well documented as less than forthcoming and truthful about the manufacture of some of their drums. I have first hand experience in that realm. https://www.drumcenternh.com always seems to have the most credible information. Good luck gleaning the truth in this matter.

Last edited:

Rhyma Hop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

Interesting.. and I wonder if he is a new sales guy.. maybe they didn't train him on details ?? ........... Also Dave Dunsire page at Sweetwater .. he says he only plays bass and guiltar.. LOL

I just talked to Sweetwater.. and they say USA.

Here are some new drums.... scroll down a little for the Performance BLACK BADGE.. and you will see they still say USA:
https://www.cymbalfusion.com/component-drums/?_bc_fsnf=1&brand=12&sort=priceasc

Last edited:

freeflydawn

Reaction score

Interesting.. and I wonder if he is a new sales guy.. maybe they didn't train him on details ?? ........... Also Dave Dunsire page at Sweetwater .. he says he only plays bass and guiltar.. LOL

I just talked to Sweetwater.. and they say USA.

Here are some new drums.... scroll down a little for the Performance BLACK BADGE.. and you will see they still say USA:
https://www.cymbalfusion.com/component-drums/?_bc_fsnf=1&brand=12&sort=priceasc
Not all of those performance series drums from cymbal fusion say made in usa on the badge. You have to really zoom in to see but it seems like some of the finishes just say performance series with a serial number and others say performance series made in usa (with no serial number)