DW Performance Series

mydadisjr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I am 99% sure PERFORMERS are all still USA (and DW DESIGN drums are either Taiwan or China... pretty sure the brass shells are Worldmax. I have a brass Design snare, great drum... my main player).

It would make no sense to have two Chinese lines: PERFORMER and DESIGN... they would be basically the same thing.

Part of the problem with PERFORMER series is they have two badges on EACH drum, one says MADE IN THE USA, the other does not have USA on it, but does have the serial #. I have a wood performer that is only a year or so old... here are the two badges on that drum.

Attachments

Last edited:

Rhyma Hop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Not all of those performance series drums from cymbal fusion say made in usa on the badge. You have to really zoom in to see but it seems like some of the finishes just say performance series with a serial number and others say performance series made in usa (with no serial number)
Yes.. I noticed that.. However if you look at each drum.. they have 2 badges.. the one with the serial never has made in usa.. but then the next badge without the serial on the same exact drum.. DOES have the made in Usa....... So that is totally normal.

Pickinator

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That is a nice sticker certificate. Is it on a brand new “very recently built” drum?

I have no doubt that they were made in the USA for a period of time. The question is Are they still. Some retailers may still have older new stock made in the USA on their shelves. That only clouds the question.

Wackerman12345

Reaction score
on the vidéos « dw factory tour 2021» on YouTube, one of the man who made the Shells for Dw, made a 22 Performance Shell (2:48)

Last edited:

Wackerman12345

Reaction score
This is the latest color of 2021 for Dw performance serie! Color is « Gold mist » (badge say Made in USA) hope this help you

kevinyarger

Reaction score
on the vidéos « dw factory tour 2021» on YouTube, one of the man who made the Shells for Dw, made a 22 Performance Shell (2:48)
Later in the video they show stack of performance snares waiting for tuning. They also show a rack of red stain performance series waiting for hardware. You can tell by that silver sticker tag on the inside of the shells.
Most ironic to me about the Sweetwater rep saying they weren’t made in the states is the fact that Sweetwater has an exclusive performance series finish 71DEC5E2-EF47-4B37-A243-2C9599FDFDF7.png F0F93962-FE77-41C4-90AC-FBDAB662E223.png 050F3392-4C8A-424D-842D-E512CA43A053.png

telejojo

Reaction score
Local GC has a 4pc kit marked down to 1199 from 2099 I don’t need another kit but seems like a good deal

Last edited:

Brainofj

Reaction score
I got mine new last year and it says made in USA all over it in addition to 13 things you get in the red white and blue welcome box talking about USA built

avedisschwinn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm going to assume Performance shells are still made in the USA. But the rules about how thing can be described leaves wiggle room. If you took chinese hardware and shells and screwed it all together here, you could say "assembled in the US" and possibly "handcrafted"

noreastbob

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I asked my dw rep just for giggles. This is copied and pasted from his response:

"Currently made in China w/ DW branding is ultralight hardware and 3000a hardware. All other hardware (except MDD) and parts are made in Taiwan. Design series drums are made in Taiwan w/ wood from USA. Performance, collector’s, etc. made in Oxnard, CA."

As you can see the vast majority of dw, and "performance" hardware, let alone shells, is made in Taiwan and the US. Only a few lightweight and lower level stands are manufactured in China proper.

telejojo

Reaction score
Performance, collector’s, etc. made in Oxnard, CA." I'm I reading that wrong looks like they are made in USA

drumstuff66

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Glad the Performance is still made in the USA, but it blows me away that DW doesn't explicitly say "Made in Oxnard CA" on their website. It's a major selling point imo and, as this thread shows, there's confusion when researching them on their own website. Hope they consider improving it.

Brainofj

Reaction score
Glad the Performance is still made in the USA, but it blows me away that DW doesn't explicitly say "Made in Oxnard CA" on their website. It's a major selling point imo and, as this thread shows, there's confusion when researching them on their own website. Hope they consider improving it.
Would be a better use of space than advertising the “Snom”

stevil

Reaction score
The Performance line is great. I personally prefer the Performance over Collectors series, although concede that you need to swap the heads and get the bearing edges dialed in on the Performance, whereas the Collectors probably has cleaner edges right out of the box. Part of my preference is due to the thicker/sturdier shells, so your mileage may vary.

Also, the Performance line has smaller turret lugs, which I think look better.

DrumWhipper

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is my understanding that the Collectors and Performance series are made in the US while the Design series has US parts but are put together overseas.