DW Performance vs Yamaha Tour Custom

DIEG0123

Reaction score
I’d like to know your oppinions about these drum sets and which and why you like the most.
Personally, I think Yamaha did an amazing job with the sound of the last tour customs series at that price. I’m looking for an all-around and versatile kit and recently found a deal of a used lacquer dw performance for 1500$.
Compared to a new tour custom, the values are close so I'm not sure about which to pick up.

Last edited:

Rhyma Hop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You would probably be very happy with either kit... The Yamaha definitely wins out on value as it's priced closer to the Dw Design pricing.... isn't it ??

DIEG0123

Reaction score
Why not a used Yamaha Tour Custom from the 1980's? Heavy duty, killer sounding drums made to the same standards as Recording Customs. And you can find a nice complete shell pack for $700-$1000.
Where I live is not that easy. The market of used stuff here is very small, so is almost impossible to find that kit you're talking about.
However, you can help me with your choice and oppinion.

JTBates

Reaction score
here's a real good deal on an 80's tour custom. I have a bunch of these drums and they are incredible. I also have a performance series kit and I actually only use the bass drum(I set it up with 13/14/16/ 80's tour custom toms, I love the combo. Anyhow, I do personally believe that the tour customs are much more malleable in terms of an all around kit.

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
here's a real good deal on an 80's tour custom. I have a bunch of these drums and they are incredible. I also have a performance series kit and I actually only use the bass drum(I set it up with 13/14/16/ 80's tour custom toms, I love the combo. Anyhow, I do personally believe that the tour customs are much more malleable in terms of an all around kit.

That's actually an 8000 Tour Series kit in white wrap. You can tell by the lugs. Don't bet on Guitar Center to know what they have.....lol. And when I see a "beat to heck" badge like that one has, I get a little worried that the rest of the kit was treated similarly.
The Tour Customs in lacquer bring more money and have a higher demand. I have a couple TC's near me in the $500 range. They are out there in the USA.

musiqman

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
T
That's actually an 8000 Tour Series kit in white wrap. You can tell by the lugs. Don't bet on Guitar Center to know what they have.....lol. And when I see a "beat to heck" badge like that one has, I get a little worried that the rest of the kit was treated similarly.
The Tour Customs in lacquer bring more money and have a higher demand. I have a couple TC's near me in the $500 range. They are out there in the USA.
Actually, according to the catalogs, there never was an 8000 series, like there was a 3/5/6 (Recording Custom light/hybrid)/7/9000 series. It was called Tour Series right away. They were the predecessors of the Tour/Power/Turbo Tour Customs.

And the 5/6/7000 models were the predecessors of the Stage Custom (in between 1983 and 1989 these were called the Stage and Stage 2 series), and the 3000 to the Rydeen/lower entry models.

Here is an overview of the time-line according to the catalogs (both International as well as the Japanese releases)

Last edited:

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yamaha clearly used the 800 numbering on the Tour Series/Tour Custom drums throughout the 1980's. They also had hardware lines called the 9,8,7, and 5 series. So calling them Tour 800 or Tour 8000 series is perfectly in line with what they did from 1976 to 1990. Matters little to me if they never used "8000" in a catalog. They surely used 800 though. Most people have no clue exactly what a Tour Series drum was. Or how to identify it. So by me calling them 8000 Tour series, that's eliminating some of the confusion and lack of knowledge on this topic. And it's only been accentuated with the modern Tour Custom series that has no YD "8000" model line serial attached to it. If someone says they have a Yamaha Tour drum I have no clue what that is. But if they say 800/8000 I surely know what they have. Yamaha made the decision not to put Tour or Stage on their drums from 1981-1990. That muddied the waters forever. Only the name "Recording" was placed on badges to denote the 900 YRC's. But, even that wasn't initially done on the earliest of YRC's.

I wouildn't say the 7000 series was a predecessor to the stage 5000's. If anything, the wood shell and quality of construction was more in line with the Tour Series. One could say qualities of both the 9000D/DA's and 7000's led to the Tour Series. But, it would probably be more correct to say that the 7000 series was a varying prototype of shell materials....to eventually help with the building of later lines. The 7000 line was a pro quality series. The '80's Stage Series never was pro quality.

drawtheline55

Owner/admin
Administrator
Reaction score
I personally love anything Yamaha (I've had quite a few DW Collector kits in my day). I'd personally go with the TC's.
This man knows drums, I second his choice, I currently have a set of the Tours and they are great, perfect all around gigging kit, love their tom mount system too.

musiqman

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yamaha clearly used the 800 numbering on the Tour Series/Tour Custom drums throughout the 1980's. They also had hardware lines called the 9,8,7, and 5 series. So calling them Tour 800 or Tour 8000 series is perfectly in line with what they did from 1976 to 1990. Matters little to me if they never used "8000" in a catalog. They surely used 800 though. Most people have no clue exactly what a Tour Series drum was. Or how to identify it. So by me calling them 8000 Tour series, that's eliminating some of the confusion and lack of knowledge on this topic. And it's only been accentuated with the modern Tour Custom series that has no YD "8000" model line serial attached to it. If someone says they have a Yamaha Tour drum I have no clue what that is. But if they say 800/8000 I surely know what they have. Yamaha made the decision not to put Tour or Stage on their drums from 1981-1990. That muddied the waters forever. Only the name "Recording" was placed on badges to denote the 900 YRC's. But, even that wasn't initially done on the earliest of YRC's.

I wouildn't say the 7000 series was a predecessor to the stage 5000's. If anything, the wood shell and quality of construction was more in line with the Tour Series. One could say qualities of both the 9000D/DA's and 7000's led to the Tour Series. But, it would probably be more correct to say that the 7000 series was a varying prototype of shell materials....to eventually help with the building of later lines. The 7000 line was a pro quality series. The '80's Stage Series never was pro quality.
You muddying the waters quite a lot with this reply. Who was talking about hardware? and 9000 let to the Tour series?, and 7000 before 5000?? really makes no sense at all.

My list is clear and when working for Yamaha long enough, I amassed enough info and catalogs to (try to) make it clear for drummers not so keen on the matter too. I only want to help by relaying some accurate facts laid down by Yamaha themselves, but ok let's not get too off-topic.

Last edited:

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 1980's catalogs do mention the 9,8,7 and 5 series hardware.....which correlate to their respective drum series "recommended" numbers 900,800,700,500. They didn't call it 9,Tour,7 and 5 series. That's my point. The 8 series hardware typically went with the 800 series Tours and Tour Customs. And yes, 9000DA's with the mixed ply shells and dual tail light lugs were utilized on the Tour Series drums. The lighter real wood finish on the 9000D's made it to the Tours. The darker finish of the 7000 real woods did not make it to the tours.....nor did the triangular lugs. In essence, nothing from the 7000's made it to the Tours other than the notion of "mixed plies". So I choose the 9000's as preceding the Tours. Makes sense to me.

The 7000's preceded the 5000's.....at least in the catalogs made available to the USA. 7000's were available from around 1976-1981. The Stage 500/5000's begin in the USA around 1981. If the dating is different for Asian distribution, then that should be a separate chapter. My experience and research is only what I see available in the USA (Ebay Reverb, CL, Facebook). I'm more interested in real world supply and demand.....what's out there in these 70's and 80's Yamaha's. The fact that specifically only the 4 digits "8000" might have never appeared in a Yamaha catalog in the 1980's, yet 8 and 800 certainly did, that seems pretty irrelevant....and adds nothing when trying to identify these drums in the wild. It does muddy things up to those trying to keep all this straight. If it helps any, I'll only state "800 Tour Series" in the future.

Last edited:

cashmanbashman

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
For what it’s worth the Yamaha TC’s didn’t make it three months and I was rid of them. I have the Performance kit I bought 6 years ago and have no intention of moving it. The price difference is substantial enough that it makes a difference and the Yamaha has the advantage there. I had a black paint finish and took a beating on the resale but I think the wraps do pretty well in the used market? Most importantly— listening to me will eventually get you in trouble so you need to weigh that in to.

cashmanbashman

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
For what it’s worth the Yamaha TC’s didn’t make it three months and I was rid of them. I have the Performance kit I bought 6 years ago and have no intention of moving it. The price difference is substantial enough that it makes a difference and the Yamaha has the advantage there. I had a black paint finish and took a beating on the resale but I think the wraps do pretty well in the used market? Most importantly— listening to me will eventually get you in trouble so you need to weigh that in to.
Now that I think about it I had a 20” bass drum that made me not care for the Tour Customs. It’s not fair of me to compare that to the Performance kit I have since it’s got larger drum sizes all around and I like loud and deep.

Alpine

Reaction score
I’d like to know your oppinions about these drum sets and which and why you like the most.
Personally, I think Yamaha did an amazing job with the sound of the last tour customs series at that price. I’m looking for an all-around and versatile kit and recently found a deal of a used lacquer dw performance for 1500$.
Compared to a new tour custom, the values are close so I'm not sure about which to pick up.
DW Performance is much better quality & sound imo.

A J

DFO Master
Reaction score
I would go with the DWs. Nothing wrong with the Yamahas. DW is a brand I have never owned before. I have owned lots of Yamaha kits. They're all sold off now.