DW Pi...

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just saw this article about a new series DW is doing. Pi drums come in many shell materials, finishes and diameters, but will only be 3.14" deep.

I would love to own one. But $799? C'mon.

Dumpy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Just saw this article about a new series DW is doing. Pi drums come in many shell materials, finishes and diameters, but will only be 3.14" deep.

I would love to own one. But $799? C'mon.
Got a link?

I am intrigued but most likely won’t buy.

Houndog

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
A snare drum a buddy of mine built using the Pi formula won the Ghostnote snare build off.

Redbeard77

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I will never understand the fascination with the ratio of a circle's circumference to its diameter.
Rather than the depth being a constant 3.14 regardless of diameter, has anyone built drums using the Golden Ratio?

Houndog

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rather than the depth being a constant 3.14 regardless of diameter, has anyone built drums using the Golden Ratio?
Yes ,I have a buddy who had a company called Pi Drums actually .
He built an entire kit based on the Pi concept .
It wasn't really a company per se he just did it for fun .
But he did go as far to have his own badges made up .
I'll have to dig around and find some info .

owr

Reaction score
You hit the nail on the head there. As a mathematician, I can think of few things we have discovered as a species that are as beautiful and useful as concepts like, pi, exponentials and the like. But I also shake my head at these marketing schemes that try and associate in some way with making a drum sound better, or other bs. Fibonacci gets abused even more. Besides all that, 3.14 is not pi anyways, completely misses the point.

I'd argue it is an irrational fascination.

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
SOunds good. Very quick, as I'd expect from a piccolo. But doesn't seem to have a lot of balls. Is it just the micing or mixing? I feel it's quieter than the rest of the it. Feels swallowed up to me.

And for $800? That's a lot of scratch and I don't see it sounding any better than any of these. Especially that Carl Palmer snare...and I'm notoriously anti Ludwig.