DW Shootout

CC Cirillo

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting. I would not have sought this out, so I watched this because, other than the Collectors series being at the top of the food chain, I didn’t really know the differences in these three lines. I’ve always thought the Design series was above the Performance in price.

Of the three, showing my Bud Light tastes, I liked the sound of the Design series. This is only comparing the room mix to get a raw sense of what these models are and what they can do. I guess I liked them because they sounded the least, um, DW. I bet, though, with better heads the Design would sound closer to their other brethren.
All beautiful kits and that Collectors are just beyond regal. I really liked the Nardo gray finish as well, and the smaller lugs were fetching.

Yet DW still does not ring my bell. I watched this to see if my tastes have changed. I really wanted to come out with some stronger positive emotion. What is their strong point might be what is a detraction for me: The consistency of a sort of refined note sound that I’ve just heard on too many recordings and performances. On the more expensive kits with better heads, there is a purity that lacks an x-factor. If you want that purity of tone, then this is your brand. There was a time when whoever I went to see live—be it Chad Wackerman or Zigaboo—everybody was endorsed by The Big Lug. It all started sounding the same.

One could say that about any brand and their various lines but for some reason DW exemplifies a concept of sameness that doesn’t hold a spark for me.

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
DW exemplifies a concept of sameness that doesn’t hold a spark for me.
The other shells they make offer quite a bit of a departure from their original maple sound imo. Mahogany, gumwood, poplar etc. add some dirt and character that I like. Just very expensive, that's my only problem with them ! ;)

cornelius

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That's a cool comparison - it shows how good their lower lines have come. The Collector's was my favorite by a big margin. As the reviewers said - the differences are much more apparent in person when you're comparing different lines - this applies to any instrument company.

From my experience I never liked the clear/coated heads - I think they are what make DW's sound generic. I've found by switching up heads, the drums really respond and allow you to get a better variety of sounds.

Seb makes a good point that DW has changed things up a lot with other woods, since the maple kits that put them on the map...

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
DW has the gorgeous Almond kit. They say it's one of, if not the hardest wood they use. I'd really like to see a video of that kit. I don;t know if it sounds any different. It's gorgeous if you haven't seen it. But still overpriced. LOL
1597095407550.png

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The purpose of this video was to focus on the maple shell kits. We may very well make one showcasing the other shells at some point though!
I hope so, dude. It's great to be able to hear well presented samples of beautiful gear. Especially in the time of Covid where casual shopping doesn't quite exist. And thank you for doing this one.

Now about that aluminum snare shootout...;)

DrumCenterNH

Reaction score
I hope so, dude. It's great to be able to hear well presented samples of beautiful gear. Especially in the time of Covid where casual shopping doesn't quite exist. And thank you for doing this one.

Now about that aluminum snare shootout...;)
Thanks for the positive feedback! Stayed tuned for that one...