DW slide track tom mount

supraphonic

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Anyone have one of these on their bass drum? I've got one and was thinking of
Installing it on a bass drum to cut down on stands but concerned it won't go low
Enough to get the toms low and flat (just above the bass drum) which is how I like
Them positioned.

I'd be interested in how you guys find them position wise.

CSR

Member since May 2000
Reaction score
I have one in a 22" bass drum, and the lowest setting it can go (measured from the bottom of the tom arm) is 7.5" above the surface of the drum. Being a center mount, you can't move the tom more to the side of the bass to get it lower.

I find the DW rail to be even taller.

LimaPop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I get my toms all the way down to rubbing the bass, low, very low. No problems. It's well made and rock stable...my toms are fast/fusion depth. 10x8 and 12x9 on a 22 BD

zenghost

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've owned a couple of these units, one of which was factory installed on a DW kit.

1) They are relatively heavy - just the holder unit without the track is too heavy for what it is in my opinion.

2) Most importantly, I could never get the toms low enough for me without inverting the L-arms, which is not optimal (putting it lightly) for securely mounting toms nor for quick set up and tear down.

If I lowered the post all the way (bottomed out), and mounted the toms at the very bottom of the L-arm, the toms were still higher than I wanted (not as low as possible).

If raised the post, I could invert the L-arms and mount the toms as low as possible over the bass drum.

IMG_1561.JPG

Tom mounting 1.JPG

I use 7" and 8" depth mounted toms positioned just above over a 20" bass drum, so you can see I like things low. I love DW, but based on my experience, the tom holder is not what you are looking if you want things that low.

I have a DW kit inbound shortly and specifically requested a Gretsch G4945 tom holder bracket be installed at the factory to accommodate a Tama tom holder (swap out L-arms) to avoid having the DW holder.

TDM

Yapping Internet Mutt
Reaction score
rondrums51 said:
Credit where credit is due: The slide track mount was invented by Jim Corder and copied by DW.

Tama makes a different version. It only slides about 2" max, but it will fit a regular bass mount, 1" tube.

http://www.tama.com/product/hardware_data.php?year=2016&area=3&id=70
Many years ago, Ayotte made a sliding track mount. I don't know if Ayotte is the originator of the design, but that's the first time I have seen that style of tom mount on a bass drum.

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have one on my 22. I think they work great. Easy to use and simple. I'm sporting a 12 and 13 rack tom setup and am able to easily position toms where I need them. DW hardware is great, IMO.

R

RickP

I had one in the past - liked the concept of the slide mount but ended up hating the sheer bulk and weight of this mount .

zenghost

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
RickP said:
I had one in the past - liked the concept of the slide mount but ended up hating the sheer bulk and weight of this mount .
Agree Rick - nice flexibility with the fore/aft adjustment, but that mount is something DW needs to assign to their hardware team for re-design. It's surprisingly heavy, approximating a small anvil perhaps! OK, slight exaggeration.

I've looked at quite a few BD tom holders and have found only one that goes low enough without the post actually penetrating the shell. That would be the Sonor rocket-launcher, which is another matter altogether - especially in the category of aesthetics.

supraphonic

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys. I hear you on the weight, it was the first think
I noticed. Like having a heavy duty double braced tom stand sitting on top
of your bass drum.

Zenghost, seems like you position your toms like I do so I'm going to stick
with a stand based mount based on your findings. If I can't get them low easily
it will drive me nuts and I will be left with 4 holes in the top of my bass drum.

Agree on DW needing to redesign this. Lighter and maybe with a low and
high center post mount option.

BBeyer

DFO Master
Reaction score
TDM said:
Credit where credit is due: The slide track mount was invented by Jim Corder and copied by DW.

Tama makes a different version. It only slides about 2" max, but it will fit a regular bass mount, 1" tube.

http://www.tama.com/product/hardware_data.php?year=2016&area=3&id=70
Many years ago, Ayotte made a sliding track mount. I don't know if Ayotte is the originator of the design, but that's the first time I have seen that style of tom mount on a bass drum.
Do you have any pics of the Ayotte version? ( I tried searching google for one and cannot find one)
Ayotte started in 1982 according to wikipedia, so they COULD have been before Corder with the sliding mount system, but Im pretty sure Corder had theirs around '85

TDM

Yapping Internet Mutt
Reaction score
BBeyer,

Sadly, I don't have any pictures of the Ayotte sliding track mount. However, I'll add something else I forgot to mention. A seemingly unique feature of the Ayotte sliding track mount is that it rotates (at the base) as well as slides inward and outward. This allows one to position toms considerably more to the side of the bass drum than other bass drum tom mounting systems I've seen.

Did a Google search for "Ayotte Bass Drum Turret Mount". No pictures, but I found two references, as follows:

"Ayotte Bass Drum Turret Mount allows you to position your tom wherever you desire, featuring 360 degrees of motion and slide track adjustment."

and

"Ayotte made a tom mount that could be positioned off of the bass drum. It was heavy and probably put a lot of stress on the bass drum shell."

TDM

Yapping Internet Mutt
Reaction score
fishmouth,

Yep. That's it. Like other designs of this sort, the Ayotte is / was very heavy! However, especially with just a single rack tom, it allows very flexible positioning, front to back, side to side, and up and down. I've seen Ayotte kits using this mount with the rack tom way off to the side of the bass drum, akin to what one might get using a snare stand. Granted, one might well ask: "why carry all that extra weight on the bass drum when a snare stand does the job equally well and is lighter?"

dexplosion

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
zenghost said:
I have a DW kit inbound shortly and specifically requested a Gretsch G4945 tom holder bracket be installed at the factory to accommodate a Tama tom holder (swap out L-arms) to avoid having the DW holder.
I'm surprised they would do that.

They didn't suggest the mount they put on the Frequent Flyer kit?

Tommy D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Turn the tom mount arms so they face down instead of up. That fixes pretty much every height issue I have ever run in to. Yeah it looks a bit unorthodox, but it keeps a low profile and works really well.

CSR

Member since May 2000
Reaction score
Tommy D said:
Turn the tom mount arms so they face down instead of up. That fixes pretty much every height issue I have ever run in to. Yeah it looks a bit unorthodox, but it keeps a low profile and works really well.

It works, but I'm afraid a tom will drop on my bass and mar the finish.

Tommy D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Use 2 memory locks. One on the mounting arm above the tom bracket so you can take the drum off and get it back on in the same position, and a secondary lock under the tom bracket to keep the drum from slipping down. I did this on my Saturn kit and it was rock solid.

zenghost

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
dexplosion said:
I'm surprised they would do that.

They didn't suggest the mount they put on the Frequent Flyer kit?

DW has been pretty accommodating based on my experiences. They are even accommodating a custom finish-ply request for this kit (I kind of earned it, you could say). Plus, they have a direct connection to Gretsch as well.

The Gretsch bracket is among the lowest profiled of the brackets available in terms of height, has a wide metal backing plate for reinforcement inside the shell and looks the best by far (in my opinion).

Tommy D said:
Been there, done that - it works as far as getting the toms lower, but is far from optimal in my opinion. A realistic solution only for those who would never have to tear down and set up with any frequency. To remove the toms you have to either loosen the L-arms and re-orient the tom to allow for it to be slid of the L-arm OR remove the entire post with toms still affixed. The double memory lock just takes it further down the wrong road based on my experience.

Even setting up that arrangement is unnecessarily fraught with challenges. I did it with a wrapped kit and needed two more arms to help prevent all kinds of dinging and banging while securing it.

Highly NOT recommended for mounting toms on a bass drum. Do your homework and get the proper mount is my advice.

TDM

Yapping Internet Mutt
Reaction score
Another option with the DW sliding mount... cut the downtube that goes into the receiving tube so it's shorter. If necessary and though somewhat greater hassle, one can shorten the receiving tube, too. Yes, you'd be modifying the system, but if you want the toms lower and always play them that way, I see no reason not to make permanent modifications.