DW+ Slingerland

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Sweet. A little more info.
Sounds like it will be a year until we even get a release date.

Browny

Reaction score
Before anything starts I'm sure they'll do a fair bit of research about which era RK they're going to do. That will determine the hardware required, which will take them down another rabbit hole....

Unless they've been somehow able to buy some of the original gear (which they might not want to use anyway and rather use modern machinery) I'm guessing it's going to take them quite a while (and bug bucks up front) to tool up for manufacture of 'new' Radio King lugs, what style hoops (single flange w/ clips, stick choppers, stick savers, triple flange, wood w/ clips, etc), sort out if/how they're going to stamp/engrave the hoops, make the badges/vents/etc.

The shells are relatively easy, they're already tooled up for 1 ply shells with their 'super solid' line (or whatever it is they're calling them). Having a look on their website, it appears they sell a 5.5x14" but not a 6.5x14" or 7x14". They'll need both the 5.5" and 6.5" or 7" for the RKs.

It's a smart move to give themselves a year to get everything sorted so when they do 're-launch' the RK snares, they do it right.

After the RK snares are released to the public (and selling) they start tooling for tom/bass versions of the lugs & hoops to most likely use with their classics shells.

Ideally the first flagship RK kit is a 7x14", 9x13", 16x16" & 14x26" in a (vintage?) WMP with SF hoops & clips and a nice big cloud badge, all complemented with flat based hardware. Maybe a matching canister throne to boot (surely DW could make a wider one that is more stable and has a decent top on it, possibly a bit of height adjustability too?...)

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I can't wait for them to do a ton of research, come up with a viable design, spend months and months on prototypes...then have the purists take a dump on them. I imagine they're bracing themselves for that.

I'm Team DW all the way on this, which is ironic because apart from their hardware, I'm not particularly a DW guy. I think if they can get anywhere near the 3-ply or 5-ply sound, with DW quality hardware, they'll have a real winner on their hands.

It's a dang shame they didn't have a Neil Peart Blakrome kit ready to go. While it may be too soon, I can't think of a better tribute.

Dan

mlucas123

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I can't wait for them to do a ton of research, come up with a viable design, spend months and months on prototypes...then have the purists take a dump on them. I imagine they're bracing themselves for that.

I'm Team DW all the way on this, which is ironic because apart from their hardware, I'm not particularly a DW guy. I think if they can get anywhere near the 3-ply or 5-ply sound, with DW quality hardware, they'll have a real winner on their hands.

It's a dang shame they didn't have a Neil Peart Blakrome kit ready to go. While it may be too soon, I can't think of a better tribute.

Dan
Hmmmm. Black Chrome wrap became a thing again in late 2019.

MntnMan62

Reaction score
I have to say that when I first got my set (4 piece) as a present from my parents for my bar mitzvah I was excited but looked at them as "just" an entry level set. But over the years as I learned how to play a little bit I came to like them. Their sizes. They way they looked. But most importantly, their sound. And guys who were there to record us used to tell me how great my drums sounded without having to do anything. And I was totally stoked when I found an 9x13 tom to accompany my 8x12. Clearly that's not how the sets were sold back then but the drums are a match. And who can argue about mahogany, birch and maple 3 ply shells. In other words, Slingerland used to make some kick ass drums back in the day. That's my only point.

IMG_0412.JPG

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have to say that when I first got my set (4 piece) as a present from my parents for my bar mitzvah I was excited but looked at them as "just" an entry level set. But over the years as I learned how to play a little bit I came to like them. Their sizes. They way they looked. But most importantly, their sound. And guys who were there to record us used to tell me how great my drums sounded without having to do anything. And I was totally stoked when I found an 9x13 tom to accompany my 8x12. Clearly that's not how the sets were sold back then but the drums are a match. And who can argue about mahogany, birch and maple 3 ply shells. In other words, Slingerland used to make some kick ass drums back in the day. That's my only point.

View attachment 423443
Hi there MntnMan62!

A great set of Slingerland "Stage Band" drums! In regards to the the 3-ply shells, they are, from inside out, maple/poplar/mahogany, with solid maple re-rings.

-Mark

MntnMan62

Reaction score
Hi there MntnMan62!

A great set of Slingerland "Stage Band" drums! In regards to the the 3-ply shells, they are, from inside out, maple/poplar/mahogany, with solid maple re-rings.

-Mark
Thanks for correcting me on the woods used. They do sound fantastic.

Drumstickdude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking maybe they could do a Neil Peart tribute slingerland artist model snare ( his 'old faithfull') they would have to do the solid shell version as well, Neil pearts was the 3 ply version so I read online. This should be further in the future though.

drummaman1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking maybe they could do a Neil Peart tribute slingerland artist model snare ( his 'old faithfull') they would have to do the solid shell version as well, Neil pearts was the 3 ply version so I read online. This should be further in the future though.
I can see that, but I think they might go Gene Krupa and/or Buddy Rich before they go Neil.

I think DW should tackle it kinda how Rogers has crept back into the market, start with a snare and good quality replacement parts. I think they might make more money spitting out parts for all of those old and neglected Slingerland drums, the kits would be an afterthought.

But an RK snare, built to spec when Krupa was gigging...will get a few fans.

Drumstickdude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Well yes of course, I'd be the first to say they should/ will honor Krupa and Buddy Rich, I love that romantism, that's why I love my own 40s Krupa model RK, and especially for the beautiful awsome sound which is perfect for my situational musical needs. also lets not forget there was also the Ray bauduc ( can't spell it) and other models.

Houndog

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
A lot of Rock guys played Slingerland, I hope they find a way to bring that to light .
I sure hope we get more than WMP kits .
Neil Peart
Phil Ehart
Bill Ward
Danny Seraphine
Derek Hess
Joe Thomas
Matt Abts .....
For starters .....

Browny

Reaction score
A lot of Rock guys played Slingerland, I hope they find a way to bring that to light .
I sure hope we get more than WMP kits .
Neil Peart
Phil Ehart
Bill Ward
Danny Seraphine
Derek Hess
Joe Thomas
Matt Abts .....
For starters .....
Pretty sure Nigel Olsson played 'em for a bit. There's a heap of photos of Charlie Watts playing one of his RK sets live (not with the Stones). Bonham pre-Ludwig, in the New Yardbirds. Carmine Appice, Bernard Purdie, Bun E Carlos, Bev Bevan, Phil Ehart, Barrett Deems, Neal Smith, Mickey Dolenz, Rufus Jones....

And more recently, before he signed with Gretch, JP Gaster from Clutch/Bakerton Trio/etc was playing a 26/13/16 50s/60s WMP kit he restored. Also Tre Cool or whatever his name is from Green Day?

I'd like to see a complete(ish) list if anyone has or has seen one.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
re-issue this

Poster with a big DW at the bottom.
(can somebody photoshop that in?) thxs