DW Super Solid Maple Super-Sonic Snare Drum

JazzyJeff

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
No have not played one, but did own a DW Craviotto and it was excellent.
I’m probably one of the few on this forum that loves just about everything DW does, so I say get it and report back! Might want to check the DW drums group on Facebook for others’ experiences.

kdgrissom

Reaction score
"Patented Snare Bridge"? Seems to me I've seen that type of snare bridge before.
Aside from the solid shell, it has 10 lugs, a 45 degree bearing edge and the word "Sonic" in the title, too. I'm not down playing DW. They are a great company, but why not reach back in their DNA and re-engineer the "Super 99" instead?
Let the comparisons begin...

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have played one a few times. Like many DW drums to my ear, it's..........ok. My Radio King eats it for breakfast.

Dan

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
This topic came up last week on one of the Rogers Facebook pages and a couple of the Dyna die-hards there seemed to indicate that dw has introduced a winning formula with these new snare drums.

dw offers a COB version too with the "True Sonic" and it's half the cost of the maple drum.

The True-Sonic™ snare gives a nod to the past and a look to the future with its chrome-over-brass beaded shell and familiar-looking Snare Bridge™. The cast metal Snare Bridge™ is an adjustable, pre-tensioned snare wire system that allows the strands to evenly lift against the surface of the snare head to provide added sensitivity and concert snare-like performance. The True-Sonic™ boasts a 1mm rolled brass shell that is outfitted with custom integrated snare beds, MAG™ throw-off system, True-Pitch™ tuning, True-Tone snare wires, 3.0 steel True-Hoops, and DW Heads

Last edited:

drummer5359

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a Rogers COB Dynasonic, it's great drum. I also have a few solid maple shelled drums, a couple of Radio Kings from different eras, a Noble & Cooley, a Gretsch Stanton Moore Signature, a DW/Craviotto, a DW Super Solid. At this point I have more single ply maple drums than I do maple ply drums. Needless to say, I like solid maple drums.

The attributes of a solid maple shell combined with the benefits of a Dynasonic style bridge system may be difficult for me to resist. I'll start saving for it as soon as I get back from the Chicago drum Show.

As for the brass version, yes, I might just pick one of those up eventually as well.

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'd like to see one on a Brady type block jarrah shell.

Latest posts