DW-type tension rod threads & receivers

bellbrass

DFO Master
Reaction score
I was wondering if you could buy tension rods & receivers for toms that have the finer, higher thread-count like the DW True-Pitch. I know you can buy them for snares, but I was wanting to have them on all my toms.

bellbrass

DFO Master
Reaction score
I found out that you can buy DW's in packages designed for toms of differing depths. Are they any products like these by Gibraltar, Cannon, etc., or does DW own the patent for rods like these?

Tommy D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yeah, you can buy them. It will cost you a lot of money and you will have to make sure that your lugs will work with the DW style receivers as not all lugs are built the same. A slightly cheaper alternative would be to buy PDP rods and receivers. They use the 32 tpi rods like DW.

Tommy D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Are the Ludwig lugs have receivers with hexagonal or square bottomed receivers? Also, what size are the bottoms? I have some PDP receivers I could measure and we could see if they would at least work in the Ludwig lugs.

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, I believe that DW/PDP tension rods are 10-32 threaded. Standard tension rods are 12-24. I've got quite a few PDP tension rods and will check the threads.

-Mark

bellbrass

DFO Master
Reaction score
Are the Ludwig lugs have receivers with hexagonal or square bottomed receivers? Also, what size are the bottoms? I have some PDP receivers I could measure and we could see if they would at least work in the Ludwig lugs.
I took a lug off and checked - they are hexagonal receivers. Do you think the DW receivers would work?

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I want to say the ones I bought to replace those on a DW Craviotto snare were square on the bottom end. I think they are the same size for all DW turret (normal, not the smaller "Design/Performance"?) lugs. I ended up buying 20 of them from one of the midwest drum shops (Interstate or another one?) and they were about $2 each.

I checked eBay - the PDP oval lugs also seem to have a square design, but I have the old DW ones and can check size for you tonite......

bellbrass

DFO Master
Reaction score
^^^ You're correct; the DW True-Pitch receivers are square-shaped on the bottom. I've ordered a pack; I'm going to see if they fit my Ludwig Classic lugs. If they do, I will retro-fit. Those True-Pitch rods are about the only gadget I've owned that actually worked well to keep the drum from de-tuning. Index Tension rods worked, but they rattled.

Last edited:

bellbrass

DFO Master
Reaction score
OK; I got the DW True-Pitch rods and receivers, and for the record, they do fit into Ludwig Classic lugs. Now to wait to get my kit back from Billy Baker so I can put it back together and test them out.....

Last edited:

bellbrass

DFO Master
Reaction score
Just an update for those that might be interested: got my drums back from Billy Baker (stellar job, once again). I just finished re-assembling everything - it took forever! The DW True-Pitch rods and receivers went into every lug with this kit. The tension rods that make for 8" to 13" toms are almost too long for my 12" and 13" toms; they actually bottomed out, but only at Max Roach tuning. They are fine for anything lower-pitched. I put a dab of Krytox on the rods before insterting them; I will report back as to whether or not they work as well on my Ludwig kit as they do on my DW kit.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I've got an old school DW snare with "regular" rods and even a Camco throw! The rest of my DW snares are all the finer rods. I want to say my pre-Collectors kit is also normal rods.......I just don't think it makes that much difference, except in the wallet. I had to buy a few t-rods and was shocked at the price vs. regular ones.
I don't lose tuning but I don't hit hard, either......hope they work for you......

bellbrass

DFO Master
Reaction score
I noticed a difference right away. The True-Pitch came out of tune, but took so long to do so that I lost count of how many practice sessions / gigs. Regular rods lost tune after 1-2 songs, although a little. By the end of a gig, I had totally lost my tunings. Not the case with the True-Pitch. Index Tension rods worked great, but rattled.
I played the Ludwig kit for the first time today, using the DW True-Pitch. They held tune, even when I checked with my Drum Dial.
Keep in mind that if you play Jazz, you probably use brushes and hit with a fraction of the force that I do when using sticks....big difference.

Tommy D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My PDP kits have the true pitch rods on them and they hold their tuning well. But my Saturns, my Reference Pures and my Tamas all hold their tuning well. I find the true pitch rods to give me a little bit better tuning accuracy than standard rods do and that's where they really shine. Standard rods on my Tamas make tuning a real bear. Just the slightest of adjustment and you have gone too far, then you tweak it back just a touch and you have gone too far. My PDPs are real easy to fine tune.

Something that would have worked better than the DW true pitch rods, if you problem was the tension rods detuning, would have been those Tight Screw tension rods. They are kind of pricey, so some people have suggested using a small piece of fishing line dropped in the swivel nut then putting the tension rods in. Apparently the fishing line compresses between the threads and holds the rods in tight.

There are also those "tuner fish" things that fit over the heads of the rods and hold against the rim to keep the from spinning.

backtodrum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yeah, you can buy them. It will cost you a lot of money and you will have to make sure that your lugs will work with the DW style receivers as not all lugs are built the same. A slightly cheaper alternative would be to buy PDP rods and receivers. They use the 32 tpi rods like DW.

They are exactly the same as what DW uses on their collector series kits. The rods and receivers interchange completely. There is no difference in quality or cost unfortunately.

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Check out WackJob's suggestion of plumber's tape. It works. It's cheap.

GeeDeeEmm

Latest posts