DW vintage rail doesn’t seem to fit anything vintage

drumtimejohn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Just bought one and it fits a 2 hole pattern of 4” or less. That doesn’t seem to fit anything. 2 hole vintage Gretsch, Slingerland, and Camco all use greater than a 4” spacing. In fact, no companies appear to use less than 4” on vintage drums so the DW rail is arguably not adjustable for different size rails. Anything related to Ludwig is 4 hole, so no help there. Unless I’m willing to modify the rail it, and it’s big dumb plastic handle is useless for the vintage set. Perhaps my DW rail is size defective. The new Gretsch rail appears to have the same functionality as the DW yet I’m hopeful the rail spread is greater. I’m trying to avoid the Gibraltar because of its height and the Maxwell (or its Gretsch equivalent) because of its limitations. Any thoughts?

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
I don't DW or Gretsch advertise these rails as being to fit vintage drums. They are just vintage style.

What are the limitations of the Maxwell Ludwig copy that you refer to?

Reactions: CSR

drumtimejohn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I don't DW or Gretsch advertise these rails as being to fit vintage drums. They are just vintage style.

What are the limitations of the Maxwell Ludwig copy that you refer to?
Thanks for the response. I’m aware they didn’t market as such I just know some here have talked about using the mount. I’m wondering on what brand and era. Seems strange to make it size adjustable when only DW and Gretsch are using it.

Maxwell and old rail limitations? Where do I start. Height and tilt limited positions, especially with a spade. Using a wrench for any adjustments. Doesn’t easily break down. I hear the bolts and nuts are inferior on the reissue, specifically that the nuts are neither standard or metric. Cost, unless someone has one with the full set (plates, spades, L) for cheap. If I’m going that route I think I’d do better by using the top of Luddy ‘67 or later (what they copied) on the W&A base.

Last edited:

drumtimejohn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
And to me the reissue is not that much better than the original. I’ve been successful using the originals for years however I’m looking for a change. I’m familiar with all the other interventions others are using and posting about. I suppose I’m grieving that the plan is not working easily.

Last edited:

studrum

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I feel your pain...what about an Inde product, and what about Gibraltar?

CAMDRUMS

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Inde is about to come out with one that will adjust to most hole spacing. Check their FB page.

drumtimejohn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I feel your pain...what about an Inde product, and what about Gibraltar?
INDE does not appear to have a rail mount yet. The preview video does not show a future product to accommodate single lug brass drums like a club date or tuxedo. Josh or somebody just needs to develop a part that connects to the bass drums original hotdog/banana. The DW almost works on Ludwig. It seems like most inventions our are bulky, too heavy, and seriously over complicated.

The Gibraltar appears to sit pretty high however should fit the hole spacing.

drumtimejohn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Inde is about to come out with one that will adjust to most hole spacing. Check their FB page.
Thanks! I’m hopeful. Right now the ultra simple Dunnett might be most ideal or I’ll fly until a better solution is realized.

studrum

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thanks! I’m hopeful. Right now the ultra simple Dunnett might be most ideal or I’ll fly until a better solution is realized.
And Gretsch seems to have something "new," but maybe I should say "Gretsch." Take a look at one of the NAMM threads.

drumtimejohn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
And Gretsch seems to have something "new," but maybe I should say "Gretsch." Take a look at one of the NAMM threads.
Thanks, I have. I prefer that to the DW because it doesn’t have the big plastic handle. Same functionality from what I see. I can only hope the spacing is wider.

musiqman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
INDE does not appear to have a rail mount yet. The preview video does not show a future product to accommodate single lug brass drums like a club date or tuxedo. Josh or somebody just needs to develop a part that connects to the bass drums original hotdog/banana. The DW almost works on Ludwig. It seems like most inventions our are bulky, too heavy, and seriously over complicated.

The Gibraltar appears to sit pretty high however should fit the hole spacing.
At least you can help to have the mount accomodate multiple brands.